Historical events that could be made into movies...

Kevin

Here are some WW2 themed events (these are not the names of the possible movies):

-Life and the Death of The Bismarck

Great German battleship that was supposed to be the biggest and best that the Germans could offered in the naval war against the British.

(Yes I know, Sink the Bismarck IS a good movie, but I was talking about a more modern version (maybe scored by Randy Newman...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-The Sinking of the U.S.S Indianapolis and its aftermath (horribly depressing though)

This was the ship that delivered Little Boy (the first atomic bomb) to the airfield in the Pacific Ocean, before it was dropped on Japan. After that, the Indianapolis was sunk by a Japanese submarine, and its crew were not rescued for five days (due to the U.S Navy messing up), a lot of the crew were eaten by sharks. Quint's monologue was powerful though.

(Yes I know, there was a 1990s TV movie about it, but the story demands better treatment).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious analysis of the encounter between H. sapiens and H. neanderthalensis in the fascinating world of Pleistocene Europe, made into an spectacular adventure film.

You wouldn't get more epic than that.

Serious analysis of the encounter between H. sapiens and H. neanderthalensis in the fascinating world of Pleistocene Europe, made into an spectacular adventure film.

Don't shoot me for saying this, Chaac, but...wasn't that, in part, what "Quest For Fire" was about?

I won't shoot you, I love Quest for Fire to death. It's basically a lovely pulpy adventure with some roots in comedy. I like the score too. :lol:

But I'm talking a more modern time period and a up to date reconstruction of stuff. Visuals from Avatar would pale in comparison.

They don't have to be "humanized". Humans do stuff like that and are very delusional. That's why it would be interesting. Why are they filth? Why do they accept what they're taught? Filth are interesting movie material.

The prelude to 9/11 through the eyes of the terorists

United 93 was pretty much 50/50 from what I remember. The opening was of exactly that, the terrorists preparing for the attack, and you get a lot of dialogue between them on the plane. Damn good film, that one. Infinitely better than the trash Oliver Stone made.

I think there's a lot to be learned in the policies of the Allied powers that ultimately led to World War II, including but certainly not limited to appeasement. It would be quite a challenge to make a coherent and entertaining film out of this, but I think it could be really interesting and powerful.

Or maybe a biopic of Adolf Hitler...I find the man fascinating, in a horrible and disturbing way. He was a horrible man, but he was also incredibly intelligent.

I've been reading David Kennedy's Freedom from Fear, which has really sparked my interest in the subject (hence my WWII poll).

Wasn't that 10.000 B.C.?

The prelude to 9/11 through the eyes of the terorists

Yeah, no. 1) There are enough propaganda films out there, and 2) that would lead to some ugly truths that wouldn't be allowed to be released anyway.

It is.

It is, if you're a sucker for fiction.

History will always provide material for movies. There is no shortage of subjects and everything can be turned into film.

The prelude to 9/11 through the eyes of the terrorists

Ha! What terrorists?

I've never seen it (other than the countless comedic subtitled versions of the basement scene), but Downfall is supposed to be an excellent film.

It is.

What Quint said. "Downfall" is a magnificent film, and Bruno Ganz puts in the performance of a lifetime, as Hitler.

Newcastle United 5 Manchester United 0

ANYBODY 5: Manchester United 0 !!!!!!!!!!! :up:

Since you live in Wales, Charlie, wouldn't it be Cardiff City 5: Manchester United 0 ?

A piece of fluff, I'm sure, but I'd quite like to see a bio-pic of Miles Davis. Chiwetel Ejiofor could play him at a pinch.

(Richard, who is currently listening to "Birth of The Cool"...and liking it :) )

Newcastle United 5 Manchester United 0

ANYBODY 5: Manchester United 0 !!!!!!!!!!! :up:

Since you live in Wales, Charlie, wouldn't it be Cardiff City 5: Manchester United 0 ?

Nope, I'm a Newcastle supporter (and Rovers, for my sins). I'm not actually from Wales. I'm not actually from Newcastle either, but that's besides the point.

Downfall was quite good.

Wasn't that 10.000 B.C.?

I haven't seen that film. It looks awful. Also, it seems we were already alone at that time. I was talking a different time period, like 35000-29000 years ago, a very interesting moment.

Ha, this is a topic for me! I read a lot about history, and I'm always thinking what great movies some of that stuff (not only events, but also the lives of certain persons as well as general cultural settings) would make... For example, the life of Ramses II. There's really no film that depicts ancient (pre-hellenistic) Egyptian culture in an acceptable way, and I think one could make a great biography about this character. Yet there are basically only movies that show Egypt from a biblical (and thus largely not at all historical) or otherwise forced religious angle (Ten Commandments, The Egyptian) or from a ridiculous fantasy point of view (The Mummy etc.).

Or, the impact of the explosion of Mt. Thera/Santorini on the Minoan culture on Crete....

Or, what the Dark Ages in Sub-Roman Britain really looked like, e.g. something about the Battle of Mount Badon against the Anglo-Saxons (no, I'm not talking about what they did in King Arthur ;-)).

Or, the life of Charlemagne... that's almost like Arthurian legend, just more or less historical :).

Or, some of the amazing early journeys of conquistadors into the southern USA. I'm sure even most Americans have no idea of what Native American culture looked like in the SE at that time.

Or, a movie showing the West entirely from the point of view of Plains Native American, e.g. the move of the Dakota out of the East across the big rivers and into the western plains.

I could go on and on ... ;-)

Wasn't that 10.000 B.C.?

Yeah, sure. I just watched parts of it again last Sunday. This must really be the most godawful big budget movie ever! Seriously, wasn't the late Pleistocene environment spectacular enough for Emmerich? If you basically want to make a movie about the people from Atlantis, why in a late glacial setting??? What a weird choice.

Great suggestions, Paleo.

I also thing it would be about time for a new movie about The Conquest of Mexico and of the Incan Empire. I can imagine the awe of the spanish conquistadores when they set eyes for the first time on something like Tenochtitlan

I also thing it would be about time for a new movie about The Conquest of Mexico and of the Incan Empire. I can imagine the awe of the spanish conquistadores when they set eyes for the first time on something like Tenochtitlan

That would also be very interesting. I just chose the USA setting because it's even more obscure and surprising to me (I think without the "Cross of Coronado" in LC most people would have no idea about conquistadors in the US ;)).

It would be most intriguing, I agree, and you so many events and historical figures to choose from. Like de Soto and Ponce de León.

I've also read that Scorcese plans to make a movie about the Portuguese Jesuits in Japan. As Portuguese History is seldom aproached by Hollywood (something set in the Age of the Discoveries could be great), this prospect excites me a great deal.

I've also read that Scorcese plans to make a movie about the Portuguese Jesuits in Japan. As Portuguese History is seldom aproached by Hollywood (something set in the Age of the Discoveries could be great), this prospect excites me a great deal.

A Japanese version of "The Mission"? That could work.

Anyone else notice how WWI never seems to get the attention WWII gets from Hollywood?

The Battle of the Somme would make a pretty epic (and tragic) picture. 52,000 British soldiers lost in a few days. An entire generation wiped out because of a communication glitch.

- Uni

Anyone else notice how WWI never seems to get the attention WWII gets from Hollywood?

The Battle of the Somme would make a pretty epic (and tragic) picture. 52,000 British soldiers lost in a few days. An entire generation wiped out because of a communication glitch.

- Uni

Because in WW1, there was never much decisive action, just one 4 year long stalemate, broken at the end by the Germans giving up.

Because in WW1, there was never much decisive action

The mothers of over 9 million young combatants would disagree with that, if any were still alive.

The only WWI movies that I'm familiar with are The Blue Max (b/c of the soundtrack), All Quiet Along the Western Front, which was on TCM last week but I didn't want to start in the middle, and obviously Spielberg's upcoming War Horse.

WWI was followed by the prosperous Roaring Twenties, and while talky movies did eventually become popular, very few films from that time period remain entrenched in the public consciousness to the point you can find them easily on DVD or aired on TV. Once the Depression hit, even less movies would have been made.

WWII became an extremely popular subject to make movies about, for any number of reasons. The drama. The intrigue involved with America's entry. The antagonists in Europe were naturally effective as villains. The totally global conflict incorporated just about every environment possible. The sadness and regret surrounding the mass deaths of civilians during the war. And then after WWII, America and Europe prospered and filmmaking techniques and retention methods improved, allowing more, larger movies to be made.

I could probably name two dozen WWII movies before I would have to online snooping. Surprisingly, two of the WWI movies I know about are from the German perspective, but I know of only one popular movie about WWII from the same perspective, Das Boot.

It's fair to say we could use more movies about WWI because, aside from Keegan's brief history of it, I know relatively little about the Great War when compared to the more publicized and romanticized WWII. The movie-makers should not allow WWI to completely slip from the memory and imaginations of the mass public.

Das Boot is awesome.

WWI is less interesting because there are no clearly defined good guys and bad guys.

:blink:

It's because there was never much decisive, just one long stalemate. Countries were not conquered and such. The battle-lines barely moved (until the very end of the war). Heck, even Jutland (one of the biggest naval battle in history) was a draw.

I didn't think it was good as Das Shoe, although Das Trainer was just ridiculous.