E.T. The Isolated Extra Terrestrial

A. It's out of print. B. It's my first post. I'm not trying to infringe on copyright, I'm a singer / songwriter myself. But when something's not available anymore, I figured I could ask. Sorry I guess...

Out of print or not, you can't ask for copyrighted material to be sent to you on this forum. Sorry!

You can get used copies of the original ET OST CD for $1.14 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000002P2X/

...and that's the 1996 release. As I said, the original, 1982 version is unavailable.

Even better, here's one for 49 cents!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000DWFU/

That's possible, but I wouldn't trust it. The picture of the back tracklisting doesn't jive with the item's tracklist or with the release date of 1990.

It was only available on LP and cassette in 1982; The first CD came out in 1990.

The track list typed into the Amazon page is wrong, the picture shows the correct back cover.

Success! I managed to edit together what I think is the best approximation of the actual film version of the Finale. Triangle at 6:53 (it's also in the Blu-ray version, not just the laser version...so I'm assuming the 2002 DVD was revisionist). Overlap for Chase / Goodbye transition as in the film. Insert included during the "ouch scene" as it is in the film. Horns omitted from the 1990 CD release as they're not in the film. Smooth transition between takes at end (this was a mistake, but later fixed, even on the theatrical Blu-ray...so obviously it was intended to sound smooth and just wasn't done well the first time around...so I don't consider this a revision of the film version). Clean ending. I also created a 5.1 version playable on PS3's. :)

• 9 months later...

OK I finally got around to updating my spreadsheet with the information filmmusic provided on pages 6 and 7 of this thread.

One item not brought up is the "Quiet Man Fix". Was that fix used it the version of the cue that's in the film / the iso score, or was the film/iso score version identical to the originally written version without the fix?

Also, isn't it odd that there is no sheet music for the original LP track "Over The Moon"? Is it possible it's just an edit of the end credits and maybe some other stuff invented on the podium, and that's why there's no sheets? Hmmm.

Anyways, here's the updated spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdG12WENnUDd3U183cUZHZmtOV1otQUE&output=html

There are 2 sketches, one titled "5m6 The Quiet Man (Victor Yong") and one titled "Quiet Man Fix".

I am asking if the recorded cue, available in the film and on the laserdisc isolated score, matches the sheets for "5m6 The Quiet Man (Victor Young)", or if it matches "Quiet Man Fix"

Apparently, It would seem that BOTH are used in the film, but only the original is in the Iso score, the fix is only used as a TV source cue.

Are you saying the isolated score track doesn't match what is playing in the actual film in that spot? Or that the Fix is used in a different scene, and the isolated score is silent during that part?

I would assume the second option, the fix is just a ascending and descending harp with a short flute diddy about 11 seconds long.

• 2 months later...

I have read on this forum the following:

The Main Titles is a mystery, with no sheet music we don't really know what the deal is and why it's so similar to "Elliot Explores The Cornfield". They could both be different edits of the same single recording.

And there's a reason why. It's nothing more than the eerie, other-worldly, and atonal strains of a waterphone run through an audio filter. In the background, an occasional light tap on a tam-tam provides bass resonance to emphasize the depth of the strangeness that the waterphone creates.

Please note that this observation of mine is done entirely by ear in the absence of sheet music, so I could very well be wrong about the tam-tam. Right now, I'm working hard on writing a complete score analysis of E.T. (the 1982 version, not the 2002 re-release).

Yea, we know how the sound was made, what I meant was we don't know the original slate # or the original cue names (if they had any at all), or if both are the same recording or two different ones.

Yea, we know how the sound was made, what I meant was we don't know the original slate # or the original cue names (if they had any at all), or if both are the same recording or two different ones.

Personally, I would just call it Cue #1M0 for the sake of convenience and internal consistency (since Cue 1M1 is "The Forest").

As for a cue name, "Main Titles" always works since it's the same for the 1996 and 2002 re-issue soundtracks.

The Main Titles weren't on the 1996 CD :)

Do you think the "Elliott Explores the Cornfield" cue is the same recording as the Main Titles or different?

The Main Titles weren't on the 1996 CD :)

You're right. My mistake.

Do you think the "Elliott Explores the Cornfield" cue is the same recording as the Main Titles or different?

If it were, I would call that musical cheating.

But it isn't.

They both use the same "waterphone through a filter" sound, so that's what might give it the appearance of both of them being the same recording.

However, "Elliott Explores the Cornfield" is 9 seconds longer than "Main Titles", and it shows a clear, linear decibal increase over the course of the cue whereas "Main Titles" keeps a steady decibel range and tends to stick to the higher partials in its atonal flow.

They both use the same "waterphone through a filter" sound, so that's what might give it the appearance of both of them being the same recording.

Erm, it' s a gong rubbed with a superball mallet. What rock have you been hiding under?

;)

Erm, it' s a gong rubbed with a superball mallet. What rock have you been hiding under?

Everybody makes mistakes.

That's how I would've produced the sound, so drop the gaslighting.

But I want to thank you for introducing me to friction mallets on gongs. Just another tool to add to my orchestration kit.

This will go into my score analysis.

Although I did get the tam-tam part correct. You can't deny that.

;)

;)

Is that the same kind of sound as heard in "The Towering Inferno" (where Paul Newman climbs over the maintenance shaft)?

;)

Is that the same kind of sound as heard in "The Towering Inferno" (where Paul Newman climbs over the maintenance shaft)?

That's exactly it! Also heard at the end of 'Chrissie's Death' and 'Ben Gardner's Boat' (when Hooper dives) from JAWS.

The Main Title from Jerry's OUTLAND is a superball rubbed on the sounding board of a piano. Similar but slightly different.

Also heard at the end of 'Chrissie's Death' and 'Ben Gardner's Boat' (when Hooper dives) from JAWS.

It's very interesting for me to see this sound identified, as John Williams used it a fair bit in his scores of the mid-70s and I had often wondered whether the sound was produced using a gong, a waterphone or some other instrument I had not considered. Do you happen to know if it is the same effect used near the beginning of the Up The Drainpipe cue from The Eiger Sanction, Sharky?

In fairness to mnac87, this clip shows the base of a waterphone being played with a mallet at one point [0:30 to 0:35], giving a sound similar to that of the gong played with a mallet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyv6t3OS3c

Do you happen to know if it is the same effect used near the beginning of the Up The Drainpipe cue from The Eiger Sanction, Sharky?

That's it as well.

In fairness to mnac87, this clip shows the base of a waterphone being played with a mallet at one point [0:30 to 0:35], giving a sound similar to that of the gong played with a mallet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyv6t3OS3c

Good point, although the waterphone has a much shorter sustain.

Though for the bit where the Klingon ship is zapped by V'Ger - there's all kinds of crazy effects going on. High wood winds and strings play their highest possible pitches, horns with reversed mouthpieces blowing air + white noise from the Serge Modular synth, water chimes, large and small waterphones bowed, the Oberheim OBX playing a 'portamento effect' (sounds to me like FM), and the blaster beam is bowed 'on the bridge.'

• 3 years later...

My "complete score"  playlist is made up mostly of the 2002 release, the unreleased tracks from the LD iso score rip, Adventures on Earth from OST at the end  then the concert versions from the original OST and alternates after that

Mine is mainly the 1996 Digitally Remixed, Remastered and Expanded Edition (which presents a slight issue as the ending of E.T.'s New Home on the 20th is at the start of The Beginning of a Friendship on the 1996 CD), a stereo downmix of the 20th Anniversary SACD, a film assembly of the finale (which occasionally is swapped with Adventure on Earth from the OST) and the remaining cues from the LaserDisc isolated score.

11 minutes ago, king mark said:

there's nothing technically wrong with that version

Thank you. I'm very proud of it.

However, a LLL release produced by Micheal Matessino will obviously be 10 times better.

And before that all we had is MY rip I made in 1996 using a minidisk recorder. But your rip sounded better

I bought the Laser disk set, recorded the score , and returned the set to get my money back. Back in the days HMV let you return opened material. oh yeah and I switched out the gold c.d. for a regular one lol

I admit. But it just shows how far some of us were were willing to go to get unreleased music even before the internet

And I didn't own a LD machine so I found someone who had one