The 2011 Box Office Thread

JoeinAR

Summer 2011 Top Film  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What Will be the #1 Summer 2011 film

• Thor (May 6)
    • Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (May 20)
    • The Hangover: Part II (May 26)
    • Kung Fu Panda 2 (May 26)
    • X-Men: First Class (June 3)
    • Super 8 (June 10)
    • Green Lantern (June 17)
    • Cars 2 (June 24)
    • Transformers: Dark Of The Moon (July 1)
    • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (July 15)
    • Captain America; The First Avenger (July 22)
    • Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (August 5)
    • Other (Please list your other choise)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never take Domestic grosses into consideration.

The studios do. If a film fails domestically in North America, it's a failure regardless of how well it did overseas.

What a brainless thing to say. Of course the studios care, but that doesn't make what you just said any less stupid. Money from overseas markets is still money in the bank.

• 4 weeks later...

the Hangover 2 is a poor film, that movie goers seem to love but the critics have blasted as more of the same except for a sleazier location. The film seems to be on track for 300 million if not more. I could see it actually winning week two against X-Men First Class based on the performance and quality of Last Stand and Wolverine.

BTW Super 8 is getting excellent reviews and one says it truly is the beginning and the end of summer blockbusters.

Tintin is a slightly obscure, French cartoon that has nowhere near the fanbase of Harry Potter. People may know it, but they won't get their asses off their couch to see it in theatre.

wiki

The series is one of the most popular European comics of the 20th century, with translations published in more than 80 languages and more than 350 million copies of the books sold to date.[1] Its popularity around the world has been attributed to its "universal appeal" and its ability to transcend "time, language and culture."[2][3]

Tintin is a slightly obscure, French cartoon that has nowhere near the fanbase of Harry Potter. People may know it, but they won't get their asses off their couch to see it in theatre.

wiki

The series is one of the most popular European comics of the 20th century, with translations published in more than 80 languages and more than 350 million copies of the books sold to date.[1] Its popularity around the world has been attributed to its "universal appeal" and its ability to transcend "time, language and culture."[2][3]

Also, Tintin isn't French.

This year my boxoffice interest doesn't begin till the autumn (fall).

What's happens in the Autum?

I don't even know who Thor is, bar the fact I know it's some dude with a hammer. I'm gonna check the movie out. The good word-of-mouth has made me interested in a movie spin-off based on a comic character I couldn't care less about.

Experience has taught me that's often the best way.

I want to see it, simply to see what our dear Ken has done with it.

My interest in cinema has faded considerably in the last twelve months; though I'm sure I'll get back into movies again eventually.

My thoughts exactly, Qiunt. The best film that I have seen in the last 18 months, is the re-issue of "The Red Shoes" (pure cinematic perfection!!!).

The current line-up of Hollywood's best and brightest looks like an evermore depressing list of road traffic accidents.

The only film that is causing me to get even remotely hard is "Warhorse", and we in good old Blighty have to wait for that one until the fucking 13th of January, 2012!

Well, for me, Tintin nears in the autumn, which I'm very much looking forward to ;)

As for Thor, well I'm not sure I know your taste in movies. I thought it was a lot of harmless fun, easy Sunday afternoon matinee fair. I actually really enjoyed it.

I couldnt find Branagh's sensibilities anywhere in it though, which is odd.

Tintin has no place in discussion about summer boxoffice since it's not a summer film.

Quint, my comments were not really directed towards you but in general.

It's hard to do a fall/autumn boxoffice season thread since there isn't one.

• 2 weeks later...

So far we're two months into the summer season, and the Hangover 2 is the clear front runner though POTC is close behind, but in the US it's numbers are down, while the Hangover sequel still has legs.

Pirates though is an international hit of huge proportions. By the end of this weekend only Titanic and Avatar have grossed more internationally. It's not going to catch either film, but it's left or will leave every Potter film, LOTR film, the JP films and all others.

Harry Potter's advance sales have been the largest ever, so you know it's going to do well but I'm wondering how well Transformers 3 will do. It was moved from July 1 to June 29. That says a lot about the faith the studio has. Will it break the 400 million mark. I wonder. I wonder how 3D will affect HP grosses. I think there is a set audience for the film and little interest outside.

Transformers will be huge. I don't expect HP to expand much on the usual 300 million gross of the last few films. Maybe a bit more due to it being the last film, but I see something like 350 million tops

Pirates though is an international hit of huge proportions.

I'm telling you it's a good movie, so I'm not surprised . And maybe the humor is a bit too subtle for US moviegoers

So far in my books Pirates 4 is better than Thor, X-Men and Super8

I still haven't spoken to anyone around here in Portugal that actually enjoyed On Stranger Tides. I don't think it's a US thing

Why is is such an international hit then? Usually these types of movie are bigger in the US than internationally .If lines like "I agree with the missionary's position" got past the Disney sensors, it must mean something

Here's another reason why I liked On Stranger Tides: The action sequences had real stunts and actual choreography and less fast cut editing a la Michael Bay

Jack Sparrow is just an incredibly popular character at the moment and everyone wants to see the movie for themselves, even if they end up not enjoying it (like myself). Also, you must bear in mind 3D is on the rise on the rest of the world (contrary to the decline it is beginning to suffer in the US), which coupled with the amazing growth of markets like China and Russia helps a great deal to boost international grosses. Just look at Thor, for example. It'll end up outgrossing Iron Man internationally and has grossed roughly half of it in thw US, even with the 3D boost.

Transformers 3 will be the top grossing film but I have high hopes for Capt America. Looks like a good film. Probably one of the few I might actually go see in the theatre. Haven't been to a film in theatres since The Dark Knight. Saw Hancock at the drive-in with wifey a couple years back but that doesn't really count.

Pirates though is an international hit of huge proportions.

I'm telling you it's a good movie, so I'm not surprised . And maybe the humor is a bit too subtle for US moviegoers

So far in my books Pirates 4 is better than Thor, X-Men and Super8

I'm telling you it's not a good movie(though it does entertain on a small level), so I am surprised. I'm laughing at the idea of a Rob Marshal film being described as subtle.

I agree it's better than Thor, but Pirates 4 is not better than X-Men or Super 8, both good films on their own rights and good films against other time tested summer films.

By the end of the Holiday weekend, which includes Monday the Fourth, 12 movies will have broken the 100 million dollar mark. Transformers 3, Cars 2, Super 8, Green Lantern, Bridesmaids, X-men, Kungfu panda, POTC4, Hangover 2, Thor, Rio, and Fast Five. The 3 highlighted films have broken the 200 million dollar mark, and you can bet Transformer 3 will even though it will not be the hit part 2 was. Harry Potter and Capt'n America may both break the 200 million mark, and Potter may break the 300 million dollar mark.

Honestly, I thought Pirates 4 was a bad film.

Captain America was never my thing, not even as a child, so I'll pass on that. Seeing Transformers 1 was enough already, so pass on that as well.

That leaves me with nothing but Potter, Super 8 ... probabaly Thor too.

The only decent movies I've seen in theatres this summer were X-Men First Class and The Tree of Life. All the rest I saw (Thor, POTC, Transformers) were complete wastes of time and money

it might, afterall Transformers 3 is underperforming.

Merkel, you're wrong, it's good to see a really weak or bad movie now and then. You can appreciate the good stuff better. POTC wasn't a waste of time, it was cheap fun, Thor, well it was for someone other than me.

Transformers 3 will be fun just to see it to trash it.

I still don't know what the hell happened in the last hour of Transformers 1.

Michael Bay happened. And it din't change for the next 5 hours of Transformers movies.

I'm disapointed that Super 8 isn't doing better, but I guess considering it's relatively low budget it was still a big success. I'm surprised that Pirates 4 is doing as poorly as it is, its film grosses aren't even going to break even with the production budget, but it wasn't exactly a good film so no complaints.

the boxoffice winner is Transformers 3? It will mostly likely break 400 million. I cannot imagine the boy who live making that much. The Sorcerer's Stone is the biggest Potter film from 10 years ago. Can it must 400 million? Granted it has the most advanced tickets sales of all time, but the films haven't always had the greatest legs. It will make a huge mint next weekend. What effect 3D will have is unknown.

Captain America is looking like it will be a terrific fun film. And origin stories often end up the best of the series.

I think we can safetly say that Mars Needs Moms is the 2011 Box Office loser. The production budget was $150 million, and its total gross, foreign and domestic combined, was...less than $39 million. Ouch.

I think we can safetly say that Mars Needs Moms is the 2011 Box Office loser. The production budget was $150 million, and its total gross, foreign and domestic combined, was...less than $39 million. Ouch.

It's one of the biggest bombs ever.

Have you seen the trailer for Real Steel?

I actually think this looks good. Unlike Transformers, it has some acting talent.