The movie that destroyed great SFX movies

Sandor

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the scene at the beginning of the film when Grant is trying to scare the kid. I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't sure if he was going to slit the kid's stomach open or not with that raptor claw. That's Spielberg building suspense at it's best.

Hmm...you saw Jurassic Park when you were 7?

Actually, I was almost 11 when I first saw it in the theater and besides, I was being sarcastic. I didn't really think Grant would slash the kids stomach.

Well the 80's was a great decade for film. Creativity and special effects coming together, resulting in some stunning classics. Indiana Jones, Back To The Future, Police Academy, Friday The Thirteenth

:lol:

Howard the Duck, Xanadu, Supergirl, Never Say Never Again...

Yikes, this thread got feet, baby!

I go away for an hour, and it's a whole new page of rants. ;)

Is this the regular activity around here?

Aww, Roald went and deleted the part where he said he was getting scared.

Pride over comedy. Oh well.

Nah, it just didn't make any sense... Nothing to do with pride. ;)

I think this thread has kinda lost its appeal by now. I just want to have the last word. :lol:

Are you 7?

:lol:

Are you gonna be a pain in the ass again..? ;)

I can't believe a thread of such midboggling stupidity is growing this rapidly.

midboggling stupidity?? How ironic...

The greatest proof of my claim: The Lost World. Back in the 80's how RIDICULOUS would it be to create a sequel to Star Wars WITHOUT Luke Skywalker, a sequel to Raiders WITHOUT Indiana Jones or a sequel to Back To The Future WITHOUT Marty McFly..??!

The Lost World IS that sequel. It's a sequel without the main character(s) from Jurassic Park. And nobody cared anyway: it was all about the special effects.

But it was a sequel with the most memorable human character from the original. Can't complain there.

The greatest proof of my claim: The Lost World. Back in the 80's how RIDICULOUS would it be to create a sequel to Star Wars WITHOUT Luke Skywalker, a sequel to Raiders WITHOUT Indiana Jones or a sequel to Back To The Future WITHOUT Marty McFly..??!

The Lost World IS that sequel. It's a sequel without the main character(s) from Jurassic Park. And nobody cared anyway: it was all about the special effects.

But it was a sequel with the most memorable human character from the original. Can't complain there.

Human character? Please... The guy had some funny lines. He's just as cardboard as the others though.

And I'm not implying these characters have to be fleshed out like Ingmar Bergman would do. Of course not. It's a different kind of film.

But again; there is something fundamentally wrong when the two main characters can so easily be excluded from the sequel. There was no demand obviously to see more of Alan Grant or Ellie Sattler.

That would be like - again - Star Wars II without Luke and Leia, but with Han Solo only and nobody giving a damn as long as there would be more 'spaceships'.

I will say this: I do remember being disappointed and confused when I heard that the other characters would not be showing up in TLW. Nowadays I am not even the slightest surprise when they drop characters from sequels.

But again; there is something fundamentally wrong when the two main characters can so easily be excluded from the sequel. There was no demand obviously to see more of Alan Grant or Ellie Sattler.

You're right. It's a good thing all of the Jaws sequels avoided excluding two of the original film's main characters, since that would've totally invalidated your point. Whew!

That would be like - again - Star Wars II without Luke and Leia, but with Han Solo only and nobody giving a damn as long as there would be more 'spaceships'.

Also a good thing they never made any Star Wars films that didn't include Luke and Leia. That would've hurt your argument quite a bit, too!

In all seriousness, TLW is a piece of crap. The quality of a film isn't affected in the slightest by the quality of its sequels.

You're right. It's a good thing all of the Jaws sequels avoided excluding two of the original film's main characters, since that would've totally invalidated your point. Whew!

Also a good thing they never made any Star Wars films that didn't include Luke and Leia. That would've hurt your argument quite a bit, too!

In all seriousness, TLW is a piece of crap. The quality of a film isn't affected in the slightest by the quality of its sequels.

Yeah, there is so much wrong with your statements, but I'm at work now. Don't have the luxury to give a lengthy response so I'll just give you the short version ok?:

It's crap. ;)

I'd rather watch the autopilot LW than Transformers, or the SW prequels.

Yeah, I'd rather watch a film like Close Encounters Of The Third Kind or Fellowship Of The Ring than any of those.

As would I. BTW, thanks for yet another persuasive argument, Roald. This thread is blowing my mind!

You're most welcome! :)

Still stalling? If you're on here instead of working, you might as well explain why either my premises or my argument was invalid. I'm told that such logical rebuttals are generally favored in intelligent conversations.

Still stalling? If you're on here instead of working, you might as well explain why either my premises or my argument was invalid. I'm told that such logical rebuttals are generally favored in intelligent conversations.

Hmmm... It's still a short version though. I'm only interested in the FIRST sequel. Jaws 2, The Empire Strikes Back, Temple Of Doom, Back To The Future II, etc. were the first sequels to HIGHLY POPULAR AND SUCCESSFUL FILMS.

Now Jaws 2 doesn't really belong in that list and you know that too.

It would have been ABSURD to have - for example - Temple Of Doom WITHOUT Indiana Jones or Back To The Future II WITHOUT Marty McFly. The only way those sequels would succeed were to have the CHARACTERS return. THEY were the appeal of the originals.

Jurassic Park was also a VERY POPULAR AND SUCCESSFUL FILM. Yet with that film it was alright to scrap the main characters. The fundamental problem of JP is exposed by that artistic decision.

With the sequel to JP it was appearantly only important that there would be more f*ckin dinosaurs, more CGI crap. BUT DINOSAURS ARE NOT CHARACTERS. You can not relate to them, you can not laugh at their jokes or get any sense of emotion from them. The dinosaurs in JP should have been part of a canvas on which a HUMAN story was told. This is how stories work, for thousands of years already. Star Wars or Jaws being perfect examples. JP broke that rule and got away with it.