What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Yeah, this time, it was more like bloat with some defined purpose or direction. But a lot of pointless bloat was in there, which was disappointing. At least it was entertaining.

Well Tauriel wasnt needed, but I liked the character. Finally PJ gets to do what he never dared to do with Arwen.

There is no real reason to have Legolas there, apart from cool Elvish fighting

The Master Of Laketowns assistant Alfrid seems a bit redundant as this point, but maybe has more to do in the next film..

There IS a bunch of added exposition and back stories.

Remember King Kong and the Billie Elliot/black father figure shipmate subplot? Ugh. Remember the poor old guy who's starving at the beginning whom Naomi worked with on stage? Sod off.

Peter, nobody gives a fuck.

Yeah, it has all the necessary ingredients - Kong himself is very well done and Naomi Watts does a great job.

EDIT: Yeah that would be a challenge. Do a three hour The Hobbit film out of all three. I'm sure it will be done by someone.

Karol

There's a fab two hour adventure extravaganza in King Kong, buried beneath layers and layers of Jackson blubber.

I love the whole thing as it is (the EE is unnecessary). And I still say it's better than the original.

I love all the monster movie stuff. Jacko really nails the old monster movie vibe I thought. The opening is beautifully shot actually. It's good stuff, but there's way, waaaaaay too much of it. The finale was fantastic.

As I said, a cluttered waste of a movie which should have had endless rewatchibility but instead spends nearly half an hour alone just on the bleedin' ship's voyage to the island. I mean, what on earth goes on in Pete's head?

I thought the island part was crap. I did sorta like the city part and its liveliness during the first act.

The island part is overindulgent, but in that it only stays true to the original, which also had a series of cool action/fx sequences without much real impact on the story. I wouldn't remove one bit from the opening act. The ice skating scene in the finale works wonders, and I think that's because the opening takes enough time to set up the characters.

I'd actually like to sit down and watch this again because it's been years and it's always on tv. Trouble is my gf can't bloody stand it, which makes it difficult, at 3hrs.

I can't stand the 2005 KING KONG, but I utterly love Newton Howard's Skull Island theme.

Yes. I didn't know he had that style in him.

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973):

Indeed, the film with the beautiful photography by Douglas Slocombe (Raiders Of The Lost Ark), looks fantastic on Blu-ray.

The great thing about the movie, besides the original Judas perspective and the portrayal of a human Christ, is the feeling of improvisation. It truly feels as if Norman Jewison and his choreographer allowed themselves to be inspired by their amazing surroundings. Very much like the opening scene of the film, it's like a bunch of singers and dancers were dropped amidst the sand, the canyons, the ruins and that these elements played an important part in the final outcome of every scene. To me, this is a relief, because nowadays most movies are made (finished) before they actually start filming. Not so with this film, here they made the film during the shooting, or at least, that's what I get from it.

Jesus Christ Superstar is the best Jesus film after Scorsese's The Last Temptation Of Christ. One would almost start to believe. 8/10

7945_1_large_zps4784d84a.jpg

Alex

Just watched The Eiger Sanction, a movie with more gender and sexual stereotypes than a James Bond.

... sorry, with more stereotypes than all the James Bond movies reunited. :sigh:

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973):

Indeed, the film with the beautiful photography by Douglas Slocombe (Raiders Of The Lost Ark), looks fantastic on Blu-ray.

The great thing about the movie, besides the original Judas perspective and the portrayal of a human Christ, is the feeling of improvisation. It truly feels as if Norman Jewison and his choreographer allowed themselves to be inspired by their amazing surroundings. Very much like the opening scene of the film, it's like a bunch of singers and dancers were dropped amidst the sand, the canyons, the ruins and that these elements played an important part in the final outcome of every scene. To me, this is a relief, because nowadays most movies are made (finished) before they actually start filming. Not so with this film, here they made the film during the shooting, or at least, that's what I get from it.

Jesus Christ Superstar is the best Jesus film after Scorsese's The Last Temptation Of Christ. One would almost start to believe. 8/10

Alex

It's all well and nice, Alex. But... what does it have to do with The Hobbit?

Karol