What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's an established fact that Saavik is half-Romulan. I knew this in 1982. It was in a lot of articles, at the time.

So, Steef's Star Trek knowledge ain't all that then. Hmph. 

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:15 AM, Hawmy said:

It's because I'm super religious haha. While not specifically a rule that we're not supposed to watch R movies, it's generally frowned upon. If I do watch an R rated movie it almost always edited (but not 100% of the time)

EDIT: What I'm trying to say, is that I don't watch movies that are inappropriate regardless of the rating. 

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:29 AM, Hawmy said:

It's not about the rating, It's about the content. That's all I'm trying to say. There are plenty of PG-13 movies I would never watch, but something like the Matrix, where the only reason it's R is because the song during the credits says the F-word 4 times, is totally different.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:29 AM, Hawmy said:

Haha no. I edit them myself using some fancy editing software.

China pays top dollar for talent like this.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

You'd jizz all over that and you know it! 

Ironic that you and Alex often seem so alike, despite the fact that you can't stand each other. You both share the same tendency to stereotype, and put down people who have a passion about something you find uninteresting.

From Alex I know it's because of his severely limited sensibilities, and disdain for anything associated with "geek" culture. To the point that he doesnt even discusses John Williams or his music with people here.

From you Lee, I dunno. You are a classic geek. As much as anyone I've ever met online. But so in denial of that fact that it puzzles me. But I do know you are mostly taking the piss.

I didn't try to put down anyone. I merely doubted your Trekkerness. I mean, how much of a Trekkie are you if you don't even have Star Trek pyjamas? 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I bought and played the DS9 Harbinger game in the 1990's!

Oh god, so did I.  That takes me back.  Elite Force too. 

Contact.

The pros: Robert Zemeckis, Alan Silvestri, John Hurt. Only reason why I watched this. Score is good, but too short and reminds me extremely vividly of Forrest Gump.

The cons: JODIE FOSTER. There's something in her voice that I really, really dislike. And her character was stupid too, or maybe she just made it stupid, or both, I dunno.

The questions:

1. Is her father an alien? Oris he living in heaven? Or is he living on another planet with aliens?

2. What is the point of the entire ending? No, let's jsut make it the entire film. Aliens want her to build an expensive machine and then supposedly don't wanna tell her anything. So is the purpose to find out how much money mankind has? And why do they love teasing mankind billions of years?

3. And where does John Hurt come in? Why would he have set the hwole thing up? If he wanted to immortalise himself, why not do it himself? He had nothing to lose, had cancer.

4. The film states that 95% of the world's population believes in a higher power. Is that an exaggeration, my vaugely spiritual yet mostly non-religious mind wonders?

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

4. The film states that 95% of the world's population believes in a higher power. Is that an exaggeration, my vaugely spiritual yet mostly non-religious mind wonders?

In the 1990s, that figure seemed about right.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The cons: JODIE FOSTER. There's something in her voice that I really, really dislike. And her character was stupid too, or maybe she just made it stupid, or both, I dunno.

Jodie Foster is great, and her performance in Contact ranks high among my favourites (not just of hers). I like her voice - you should hear her German dubbing voice, which is vaguely similar, yet completely off compared to her real voice.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The questions:

1. Is her father an alien? Oris he living in heaven? Or is he living on another planet with aliens?

2. What is the point of the entire ending? No, let's jsut make it the entire film. Aliens want her to build an expensive machine and then supposedly don't wanna tell her anything. So is the purpose to find out how much money mankind has? And why do they love teasing mankind billions of years?

Both the same question basically. It's the classic 2001 ending, more or less (even down to the wormhole journey complete with intergalactic connection hub). Aliens set up an intergalactic travel system and are contacting sufficiently evolved species with instructions to build a machine that takes them to a place where they construct a fake reality based on their knowledge of the respective subjects - in 2001 in the form of a hotel based on (iirc) TV broadcasts and stuff, in Contact also specifically based on Arroway's own experiences. As her guide explains itself, it's not her father, it just appears to her in that form because they choose a familiar form when communicating with newcomers. It's a first contact scenario, to hopefully bring the (in this case) human species on a track that may lead to more future contacts/interactions.

The film, although seriously Hollywoodised compared to the book, still does a pretty marvellous job at presenting our civilisation's reaction to actual signs of intelligent extra terrestrial life. And while it's also much more lenient towards religion, the book's focus on (and Sagan's lifelong teachings) of science and knowledge still shine through.

Science fiction bits aside (it is, after all, both a story for entertainment and one about extra terrestrial life which we haven't yet encountered in any form in reality), the basic premises are firmly rooted in actual science. The (faux) ambiguous ending is, as far as I remember, mostly an invention for the film version.

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Fosters' overacting is my biggest problem with the movie too. 

I can understand how Foster sounds worse in German, but that says more about the German language than about Foster herself. I can't explain it, her voice just rins it for me.

But it still doesnt make sense. What's the point of a first contact if you aren't gonna persue a future 'relationship'? Why keep mankind dangling for billions of years instead of picking one person and taking it from there? If you want to get in touch with someone, you need to be consistent and not wait millions of years before approaching your target again, otherwise no one's gonna get anywhere.

I can understand how Foster sounds worse in German, but that says more about the German language than about Foster herself. I can't explain it, her voice just rins it for me.

I was talking about the voice, not the language.

But it still doesnt make sense. What's the point of a first contact if you aren't gonna persue a future 'relationship'? Why keep mankind dangling for billions of years instead of picking one person and taking it from there? If you want to get in touch with someone, you need to be consistent and not wait millions of years before approaching your target again, otherwise no one's gonna get anywhere.

Look at the state of the human civilisation in the film (i.e. in reality, right now). Would you, as an advanced civilisation, give powerful and perhaps dangerous technology to a people who are fighting among themselves about superstition, religion and reality just because alien life has been discovered? And who says it's billions of years? As far as I recall (though I don't remember if this was in the film or in the book), they pose the theory that there is more knowledge to be learned from the alien message that contained the building plans for the wormhole generator. In the book, Arroway definitely discovers more information in it.

I don't think Foster is overacting by the way.

...and, thinking about it, it's the same concept as in CE3K, isn't it? Aliens taking one, or a handful, of humans for a ride for a short (or not so short) amount of time and then sending them home again. Who's to say what's to come next? It's the end of the film, but obviously just the beginning of that step in the evolution of the human socitey.

You're absolutely right abot humanity being stupid, but then it owuld be more sensible to check us out first before sending us to them. They literally say that they've been contacting us for 'billions of years' in the film.

27 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

You're absolutely right abot humanity being stupid, but then it owuld be more sensible to check us out first before sending us to them. They literally say that they've been contacting us for 'billions of years' in the film.

Us, and others. It's what they do. And again, despite the scifi entertainment aspect layer on top, and a thick layer of Hollywood on top of that for the film, the core of the story is about one thinkable scenario for a first contact with an extra terrestrial intelligence in our lifetimes, from the perspective of science (look up Carl Sagan if necessary). There's a lot of variables to consider, and to arbitrarily choose (within the range of plausible values). Some of them are what "shape" the ETs might have, if they are able to directly interact with us at all (apparently, they don't, in this story), and also their concept of time, which might be massively different from ours. Compare 2001 again, where nobody seems to directly interact with the ET intelligence at all. They just kickstart the next step of human evolution, without explanations (and without an explanation to the viewer what that actually is).

Zookeeper. That is the second time I watch a Coraci movie and wonder why the critics are so harsh on him. At times it was really funny and at others ridiculous, but it's certainly not awful.

You liked Enemy more than Sicario and Arrival?  Wow.

And you still haven't seen Prisoners?  That is EASILY his best one.

We watched Hobbit 2 yesterday and Hobbit 3 today on Comcast on demand, after not watching any Hobbit movies since the first in the theater. Entertaining but overlong with way too much downtime where the story completely stops so the characters can talk about events and history and loyalty and evil clouds getting their powers back. The theme for Bard or Laketown gets overused. Legolas' big square CGI Botoxed head is ridiculous. The fake fantasy sets are dumb and really don't look as authentic as those in the first trilogy. I've seen black and white movies with better use of a color pallette than Hobbit 3.