The Adventures Of Tintin: did they change the title?

Sandor

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Secret of the Unicorn is to complex of a title for the average American movie audience. The final title will be shortened to just "Tintin", so at Christmas you have the choice between "Hugo" and "Tintin", without knowing what the fuck either is about..

Lol, 'too complex'.

Yeah i know that story. Like Philosopher's Stone was changed to Sorcerer's Stone because American people don't know what a philosopher is. Ridiculous.

No, they thought the American people don't know what a philosopher's stone is, which is true.

And yet, they knew what a sorcerer's stone is supposed to be?

That's stupid. It's not like they were going to say: "I don't know what a philosopher's stone is. There is no way I'm gonna watch this film."

No, they thought the American people don't know what a philosopher's stone is, which is true.

And yet, they knew what a sorcerer's stone is supposed to be?

That's stupid. It's not like they were going to say: "I don't know what a philosopher's stone is. There is no way I'm gonna watch this film."

You mean Book

You mean Book

Yeah. I forgot they changed the book's title first. My point still stands, though.

Thank god they don't do that with every children's book. Can you imagine if they renamed The Hobbit?

The Small Guy With Hairy Feet: who wouldn't want to read that?

While that may be true (I wasn't at the Scholastic marketing meeting), I would think that the decision was at least in part because a "sorcerer's" stone sounds more exciting that a "philosopher's" stone, and that the word "sorcerer" in the title would at least give a clue to what the book is about (i.e., magic).

While that may be true (I wasn't at the Scholastic marketing meeting), I would think that the decision was at least in part because a "sorcerer's" stone sounds more exciting that a "philosopher's" stone, and that the word "sorcerer" in the title would at least give a clue to what the book is about (i.e., magic).

Yeah, that is what I always understood as well.

That's not right. Here in the US, the title is SS and in the film itself, they always refer to it as the SS.

In the UK version, its PS and PS. They filmed the actors saying it both ways on purpose.

Yup. I rented it on video when I visited the UK back in 2003, and I was greatly amused by the slight differences in the line readings whenever they had to refer to it by name. I also began to notice just how many times they call it simply "the stone". I guess that's what you get with an American studio, director, and screenwriter.

That's not right. Here in the US, the title is SS and in the film itself, they always refer to it as the SS.

In the UK version, its PS and PS. They filmed the actors saying it both ways on purpose.

Wow, I didn't know that. They didn't even include both versions on the Ultimate Edition via seamless branching. That sucks, man!

+1

What's funny is that they kept "The Sorcerer's Stone" in the film title, yet the characters talk about "The Philosopher's Stone" in the film. Epic fail.

I think when they do a remake (which they will do, "to make it relevant for another generation"), they should make all the titles shorter. Like HP & Da Stone.

Karol

:D

Here it's called "De Avonturen van Kuifje: Het Geheim van de Eenhoorn"

I don't really like the flemish voices but my brother want's to see it in flemish.

Pfff maybe i'm going to see it alone.

Obviously this is all the fault of the French speaking minority!

Indeed! Though in their language it's called "De aventuren bvan Kufje: De ge-eim bvan de een-oor".

Come to think of it, the German "Tim and Struppi" is a pretty stupid name.

In French (of course), in English, in Spanish, in Italian, in Portuguese, the character is called Tintin. Except in German.

Tintin is called Tintti in Finnish but in the title it is in a different case and spells out Tintin seikkailut = Tintin's Adventures. :) We still call the dog Milou though.

All the characters names are the same, namely Milou (which is a shame he doesn't keep the name in English), except Tournesol, which we call Girassol, which is a direct translation of the name, meaning sunflower (although I reckon there is a bit of wordplay in the original french name, as Tournesol can a also refer to the litmus paper, to measure PH levels)

Tintin is called Beric Dondarrion where I live (only one person will get this joke).

Priceless :lol:

How is Westeros this time of year Bloodboal?

Alright guys stop increasing your post counts with this jibberish. This is an english-speaking message board!

Exactly.

From now on any post written entirely in a non-English language will be deleted.

This might also be applied to posts partially written in a language other than English.