The Adventures of Tintin on CINEMATIC SOUND

Erik Woods

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I agree (at the mo) about the "gravitas" thing, I disagree that the score lacks an emotional core. I mean - how do we know for sure yet, anyway? Keeping in mind that we've only heard what we have been permitted to, I'm sure the entire score within the movie will deliver on that front. The evidence can be found in The Return to Marlinspike Hall and the soft tones of Haddock's theme, heard during the cue. I hear a touching variation on his theme which speaks of a burgeoning friendship between Tintin and Haddock, I hear heart

Anyway some thoughts:

So far I'd say the best cue is Sir Francis and the Unicorn (I can REALLY envision the imagery which matches this), followed by Introducing The Thompsons etc (quirky brilliance, growing catchier by the listen). I also really love The Milanese Nightingale, such a playfully lush cue with a fine little melody; wasted here, I think.

I'm not keen on Tintin's own motif, because it sounds unsatisfying. I just don't like the melody as music. However, I can't argue that it isn't suited to a budding reporter who is ever eager to sniff out a good story/adventure. It does suit the character and I won't be surprised if it works really well in the movie. Just not a very interesting listen outside of it. Still, there's always Snowy's stuff, which makes up for it.

All in all I'm happier than I expected to be and I'm hoping the movie itself will make the score grown on me further.

To be honest, I am absolutely blown away by the whole thing. I am really starting to think the music of Tintin (by itself) is superior even to PoA. And no, I am not kidding. So many catchy themes here, so much complex and lush orchestration, every track here is a joy to listen to, i.e. not one track is boring.

My favorite tracks, which I keep listening to over and over again, so far are:

"Sir Francis and the Unicorn": no comment, the track speaks for itself. One of the most amazing JW action tracks, on the same level with "Belly of the Steel Beast," IMO . . . and yet quite original, too. It evokes an adventure of epic proportions.

"Introducing the Thomsons and Snowy’s Chase": I love the whole chase sequence with Snowy. I just hope the whole second half is really the cue, and not half concert arrangement (the repetition of Snowy's Theme at the end seems to be a bit excessive--but who knows what Snowy's up to?).

"The Flight to Bagghar": this might be a distant cousin of "Map/Out of Fuel" from ToD. Not that any melodies are very similar, but they are about the same thing, basically. The plane taking off and then getting into trouble. Also, I LOVE the Tintin's theme here... sounds to me like the moment when the plane takes off. (In "Map/Out of Fuel that would be the moment where the most rousing, heroic version of Raiders March is heard!)

"The Pursuit of the Falcon": again, one of the most intense chase music of JW's career, IMO: it reminds me (in turn) of "The Mine Cart Chase," "Everybody Runs," "Ants!", and the "Quidditch Match" (especially the last portion with the frenetic strings)! Oh, and I also love the beginning, where JW references the aria--makes it unique, somehow. So tongue-in-cheek and fun!

"The Adventure Continues": Again no comment. This is so awesome, so fitting, I have no words.

The Milanese Nightingale 1:00 onwards - I wish John would write in this unabashedly romantic style more often.

Indeed.

The style of this is somewhat reminiscent of "Sabrina," I thought . . . only far more extravagant and over the top! Love it!

So, are we all in agreement that The Return to Marlinspike Hall and Finale strongly suggests the movie ends on a cliffhanger, for the next installement? It's a splendid way to wrap up the first movie, by the sounds of it.

Barber of Seville? Really? Does anyone have good enough eyesight to see which track that's referring to?

There's something to the right of track 13, not sure if it's an asterix.

Wrong european comic! :P

So, are we all in agreement that The Return to Marlinspike Hall and Finale strongly suggests the movie ends on a cliffhanger, for the next installement? It's a splendid way to wrap up the first movie, by the sounds of it.

Yes it is very much the musical To Be Continued at the end of the finale.

And it seems we can't talk about the whole CD until Monday since the UK digital release is coinciding with the CD release on 24th. I have bloody 13 pages of analysis material on my computer just sitting there. :P

Great, so all the stuff with Calculus and the Shark Sub can still happen

Yeah it sounds promising. I sort of had that notion from the beginning. It is a perfect cliff hanger for another adventure. How to link the Shark Sub exploration to the other comics will be an interesting challenge so that the plot will feel unified.