The Adventures of Tintin on CINEMATIC SOUND

Erik Woods

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may not have a full grasp of the score yet but I;m not a fan of the Adventure Continues using the piratey theme. I would have preferred he just use Snowy's theme or Tintin's theme. Oh well, maybe it'll work better in the movie.

13 - Presenting Bianca Castafiore: real classical music this time. With some very annoying opera singing.

You should be gunned down immediately. It's a brilliant piece.

Imagine the ominous Unicorn theme from "The Secret Of The Scrolls" as the Horcrux theme in Deathly Hallows ...

gkgyver - who obviously can't let go.

I think it's a bit early to say. I admit I never thought - upon first listens - that Harry Potter would become the (modern) classic it is now. But you're probably right in the end.

oh really? It was obvious to me from the first teaser trailer we heard Hedwig's theme

I was wondering if it's some classical piece or Williams composed the original background music.

Edit: ok Jason says it's classical music.totally useless track then

Erik's show was great! Like many others, I LOVED Sir Francis and the Unicorn. The sheer power of the Unicorn theme brought me back to the sensation I felt when I first heard the Ark theme in all its glory! And then theres that action motif I've had my eye on ever since I first heard it first in the samples. Its great to hear it in its full form!

Its official my friends...Williams is back :D

- KK

He never left...but that's beside the point.

Samples sound fantastic. Parts of them are immediately accessible, other parts will take a few listens to grow on me (but once they do I'm confident that I'll love them). I'm pleasantly surprised that so many of the old guard on this MB are so in love with this score.

As well composed as this score appears to be, I'm finding that the whole is seemingly less than the sum of its parts. Williams at play is incontrovertibly a joy to behold -- he writes with an intricacy that knows no rival -- but the score lacks gravitas and an emotional core. I was struck, actually, by how much more satisfying the subsequent selection from the Iglesias score sounds to my ears.

Man, listening to this thing is almost surreal - after so many years of RC dreck, I mean. It's as if I'm listening to a master composer from a hundred years ago, a newly discovered work long thought lost. The sophistication and outright brilliance of this music just seems so damn beyond a lowly movie.

Yeah, agree with you there. :)

Although I wouldn't call any Spielberg movie a "lowly movie"...

It's strange that from the tracks I've heard, and I would believe in all the score, Tintin's theme is never completed like other themes, eg. indiana jones theme.

Structurally speaking for the music theorists, is like the first half of a "sentence" with the 2 renditions of the basic idea which constitute the presentation, but we never hear the continuation.

On the Cinematicsound, at approx. 15:20 (I am not sure which track that is--Escape?) the theme is completed, I believe. It happens very rarely, but this might be an example.

It's basically Azkaban quality. Maybe even slightly better. Yup, I really enjoy this one.

Karol

Yes, that's what I've been saying all along.

Tintin might offer more opportunities for colorful and varied action music.

The Adventures of Tintin?

Nah, I don't feel this is a developed version of Tintin's Theme. More a stand-alone musical piece with some appearances of the theme.

Yes, agreed.

Btw, do you guys recognize any theme in this piece, except Tintin's? Honestly, I don't.

And one thing: this might be one of those pieces that you get to fully appreciate once you have seen the movie. I mean, for example, those bells. JW's didn't just put them in randomly. They mean something...

I personally think the whole plethora of other themes in the score make up for the simple and direct main idea which suits the rather direct and simple idea of the main character very well. This is not to say that I would not have wanted to hear a longer development of the idea in the score. But it works as a heroic exclamation quite well.

Yeah, I am really not sure how to characterize this theme. It can actually be used for any occasion, and the mood is highly dependent on orchestration.

But generally, I would say it's more laid-back and somehow "bookish," or studious than Indy's theme.

I think Azkaban is better. But I'm very attached to that score.

Don't make up your mind just yet!

You may change your mind once you see the movie... ;)

yes it matters, because it takes 3 minutes on the c.d. that could have been used for an original Williams cue

But the CD already isn't filled to the brim with music. So if they got rid of that track then they probably wouldn't substitute it with a JW cue.

I just noticed...

Listen to Sir Francis and the Unicorn (been playing it all day) at exactly 02:54. Sound any familiar? It's part of the music from the Spanish trailer!

Ah. Duh!

He never left...but that's beside the point.

Yes!

Samples sound fantastic. Parts of them are immediately accessible, other parts will take a few listens to grow on me (but once they do I'm confident that I'll love them).

And once we have seen the movie, of course.

EDIT. As per request I won't post a full review/analysis until Friday. I guess I have a few more days to mull about the music some more. Le't see if I can come up with new angles into it by then. :)

2 things which occurred to me:

1. The inclusion of the brief, dramatic cue in "Snowy's Theme" is a bit reminiscent of "Theme from The Lost World." These are both basically tracks presenting the main theme in many variations and in both cases, it is briefly interrupted by a dramatic cue written for a specific scene, before returning to the main theme. I am talking about the way the tracks are structured, of course, not the melodies themselves--they couldn't be more different.

2. The Adventure Continues. How many false endings does this have? 4? 5? I wonder why JW thought it necessary to include so many... does it add to the quality of the piece? The humor? The unpredictability? Just wondering.

It's humorous. Swordfight,

Anyone else like the gorgeous oboe solo in Return to Marlinspike?

Also, I think this has one of the coolest opening bars for a JW score in a while. Introduce moody/funny rythm, then the battery, the theme afterwards. Then return the rythm at the end of the cue, Hehe.

The background piano at the beggining of The Secret of the Scrolls is deliciously unsettling.

It's humorous. Swordfight,

Anyone else like the gorgeous oboe solo in Return to Marlinspike?

Yes the music for a sword fight with suitable dramatic pauses. I love it.

And that oboe solo in the Return to Marlinspike And Finale is gorgeous indeed.

One thing I always have to praise in Williams' music is that his thematic material is highly memorable, always. This does not mean that it cannot be subtle but his melodies and musical ideas are distinctive and precise even when going through all kinds of manipulation. It is such a joy to hear strong themes with character and clarity once more.

One thing I always have to praise in Williams' music is that his thematic material is highly memorable, always. This does not mean that it cannot be subtle but his melodies and musical ideas are distinctive and precise even when going through all kinds of manipulation. It is such a joy to hear strong themes with character and clarity once more.

The melodies themselves in this score are not necessarily very memorable (except maybe for The Adventure Continues), but JW makes them memorable through the buildups he creates and the unique orchestration...

What I mean is, Tintin doesn't have memorable themes as Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, E.T. etc.

Well I disagree that they are not memorable. I had a perfectly good picture of them after just one listen. I am not speaking of that iconic quality or how well they might be recognized by the masses. I am talking about the way they are written and presented. They are not muddled or obscured or so subtle they lose impact but direct and contain a strong musical core that is very easily spotted and followed through the musical dramaturgy.

On the Presenting Bianca Castafiore track:

The reason behind the inclusion of the opera aria was, I think, that Williams wanted it to tie it to the following The Pursuit of the Falcon which does indeed has a quick thematic quote from the aria in the opening melody of that track. It is part of the whole sequence where the composer most likely wanted to follow the musical joke through so to speak.

Well I disagree that they are not memorable. I had a perfectly good picture of them after just one listen. I am not speaking of that iconic quality or how well they might be recognized by the masses. I am talking about the way they are written and presented. They are not muddled or obscured or so subtle they lose impact but direct and contain a strong musical core that is very easily spotted and followed through the musical dramaturgy.

Hmmm, well, yes. Mind you, I didn't say the melodies in this score are not memorable. Not at all.

I just meant, if you just take the melodies from, say, Tintin or Snowy or even Haddock, they are not memorable by themselves (like The Imperial March, the Force Theme, Hedwig's Theme, Raiders March etc. are). As heard in the score, with their lush orchestrations and in the context, they are very memorable indeed.

I am not speaking of that iconic quality

I certainly hope so! The word "iconic" should be forbidden on this forum from now on. Last time it was used, it led to a bloodbath. This word is cursed. Cursed, I tell ya!

Yes indeed! :lol:

On the Presenting Bianca Castafiore track:

The inclusion of the opera aria was, I think, because Williams wanted it to tie it to the following The Pursuit of the Falcon which does indeed has a quick thematic quote from the aria in the opening melody of that track. It is part of the whole sequence where the composer most likely wanted to follow the musical joke through so to speak.

Yes, and maybe part diplomacy on Williams or Spielberg's part.

This opera singer agreed to this project, and they promised her it would be included on the OS album, of course.

Yes also that. Renée Fleming is certainly a name that people in classical music circles know very well.

The Adventure Continues. How many false endings does this have? 4? 5? I wonder why JW thought it necessary to include so many... does it add to the quality of the piece? The humor? The unpredictability? Just wondering.

I didn't like that part. I found it unnecessary. But I generally don't like false endings..

Also beyond praising all Williams stuff very much, I wanted to say that I think the "ugliest" part for me, is the one with the bells in the opening piece. I wonder what it shows there on the screen.

I didn't like that part. I found it unnecessary. But I generally don't like false endings..

Well, yes. In the case of Duel of the Fates, I thought it was okay. It has one false ending, big deal. But here, it seems to me a bit over the top. Dunno, maybe I will get used to it in time. But for all that, it's one hell of a theme, of course! ;)

Also beyond praising all Williams stuff very much, I wanted to say that I think the "ugliest" part for me, is the one with the bells in the opening piece. I wonder what it shows there on the screen.

Well, we mustn't forget that it's film music. The music has to accompany the visuals the best it can. And so until I have seen the movie, I won't judge the bells. I'm sure in the movie they turn out to be perfect.

Yes I know, that's why i said I wonder what it shows there..

But strictly musically speaking I found it "ugly".

Another thing I wanted to point out is that the opening notes of the first track (almost first 12 seconds),that get repeated afterwards, could qualify as a theme (not Tintin's theme, but as a theme generally),

I wonder if he ever uses it again in the soundtrack, for a comical scene, but I wouldn't think so.

As well composed as this score appears to be, I'm finding that the whole is seemingly less than the sum of its parts. Williams at play is incontrovertibly a joy to behold -- he writes with an intricacy that knows no rival -- but the score lacks gravitas and an emotional core. I was struck, actually, by how much more satisfying the subsequent selection from the Iglesias score sounds to my ears.

judging solely from my initial listen, and without having seen the film, i would agree with that.

it's Williams having fun, with intricately well-crafted music that is fast paced, deft, infectious without ever sounding difficult or challenging for the listener.

Another thing I wanted to point out is that the opening notes of the first track (almost first 12 seconds),that get repeated afterwards, could qualify as a theme (not Tintin's theme, but as a theme generally),

I wonder if he ever uses it again in the soundtrack, for a comical scene, but I wouldn't think so.

Apart from Tintin's theme, I don't recognize any theme in the opening track.

Also, what's with that small dorky bit that abruptly interrupts the clarinet/accordion section in "Introducing the Thompsons"? Somebody said that was in the opening track, as well. I haven't found it yet.

judging solely from my initial listen, and without having seen the film, i would agree with that.

it's Williams having fun, with intricately well-crafted music that is fast paced, deft, infectious without ever sounding difficult or challenging for the listener.

That comes with the territory, the film certainly will not invite anything more deep.

Which brings me to the obvious problem i have as a jaded listener: i can now round up the usual complimentary things of Williams' accomplishments, but the truth is, i don't care that much for those bold adventure scores (be it Williams or anyone else). I know all the motions it goes through, i enjoy the little flirtations with classical forms, the perfectly rounded orchestrations etc., but it doesn't get me off anymore.

I will visit the Depressed Scoreaholics Society these days with a large sign: CAN'T LOVE TINTIN SCORE, PLEASE HELP ME!

Besides, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

This is NOT Indiana Jones IV all over again.

Yup. Got you there. ;)

Oh for fucks sake you gormless tit I was just stressing my own feelings towards the music. Anything more than than that you've read into it yourself you stupid internet person.

Go away. You're spoiling it, you anally retentive fuck!

I lol'd

---------------

I wish I could personally congratulate Mr. Williams on such a success. What a brilliant score. It has all the elements that you'd expect from a top-notch Williams score. I can see it's definitely going to become one of my favourites.

Yes I know, that's why i said I wonder what it shows there..

But strictly musically speaking I found it "ugly".

As far as I remember the opening from the first track is essentially the second phrase of Tintin's theme (just with a different tempo, slight rythmic variation, and an altered 3rd note), giving the cue an underlying cohesion.