The Adventures of Tintin on CINEMATIC SOUND

Erik Woods

I wish I could personally congratulate Mr. Williams on such a success. What a brilliant score. It has all the elements that you'd expect from a top-notch Williams score. I can see it's definitely going to become one of my favourites.

Yes, indeed!

For me, it's already on the same level as Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I wonder, though, which I will end up liking more. Tintin or War Horse! :)

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know, that's why i said I wonder what it shows there..

But strictly musically speaking I found it "ugly".

Another thing I wanted to point out is that the opening notes of the first track (almost first 12 seconds),that get repeated afterwards, could qualify as a theme (not Tintin's theme, but as a theme generally),

I wonder if he ever uses it again in the soundtrack, for a comical scene, but I wouldn't think so.

As far as I remember the opening from the first track is essentially the second phrase of Tintin's theme (just with a different tempo, slight rythmic variation, and an altered 3rd note), giving the cue an underlying cohesion.

hmmmmmm... I can't see that.. Anyone else sees it?

Another thing I wanted to point out is that the opening notes of the first track (almost first 12 seconds),that get repeated afterwards, could qualify as a theme (not Tintin's theme, but as a theme generally),

I wonder if he ever uses it again in the soundtrack, for a comical scene, but I wouldn't think so.

As far as I remember the opening from the first track is essentially the second phrase of Tintin's theme (just with a different tempo, slight rythmic variation, and an altered 3rd note), giving the cue an underlying cohesion.

Not really, no. If you altered a note here and there, the rhythm, the speed, etc., you can hear anything you want! ;)

I hadn't any kind of doubt that John Williams is still the man... but the excitement I feel while listening to this great score is beyond expectations. I totally love what I'm hearing. Williams surely had a lot of fun while writing it and the sheer joy is so clear in every note he put down on paper. And this enthusiasm pours directly on the listener, who couldn't do better than smile and cheer while listening to it.

Sure, we can discuss forever about this being or not an instant classic on the leverl of Indy, Star Wars or Harry Potter. But that's not the reason why I love to listen to Williams' music. I don't care about charts or hit parades. His music makes me happy, joyful and cheerful. Tintin makes no exceptions.

"Red Rackham's Curse" is a track that was revised for the 2011 pickup-sessions.

EDIT: and "The Eye of Baggar" theme is certainly not edited out of the album. It's a lovely theme by the way. (and heard in full-blown fanfare format at the end of "Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure")

I'm loving the ending to "Escape from the Karaboudjan".

That Eastern flair... Like the ending to "Jango's Escape" but more Eastern.

Yes! I thought it was a bit like Raiders, when Indy arrived in Nepal or in Cairo! :)

A question which may sound a little stupid:

"The Flight to Bagghar" is the cue that plays during the plane flight, right? "Land!"

I would assume it is.... but none of us have seen the movie yet, so who knows! Williams has been known to use the wrong location name in track titles before (Arrival at Naboo)

"The Eye of Baggar" theme is certainly not edited out of the album. It's a lovely theme by the way. (and heard in full-blown fanfare format at the end of "Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure")

Yes, where have you been? I put up two samples on the JWFan main page on Monday that showed the theme: http://www.jwfan.com/?p=1246

I think the comparison to Azkaban is a bit too far out there.

In my eyes, Prisoner Of Azkaban is *the* modern John Williams classic, and Tintin ranks a level below that.

I never was a fan, and never will be one, of Williams' more fractured, more frantic action music (for instance, I haven't listened to something like KOTCS or any prequel score in almost a year); but Tintin shows that style in a far more cohesive fashion and makes it more accessible to me, so that is a huge plus.

What makes it so nice to listen to that style, in this case, is the many many little subthemes Williams wove into it.

And still, with the almost entirely enjoyable adventure/action stuff, I find that the Tintin-esque pieces, like The Milanese Nightingale, The Adventures Of Tintin, Introducing The Thompsons or The Secret Of The Scrolls overshadow those by a great length.

What I do find a bit irritating, at least that's my impression after listening to the whole thing (not more than once, to be fair) is that the Unicorn theme, heard in Sir Francis and the Unicorn, never seems to be concluded or expanded upon. I find that it longs for a B-phrase that never comes.

4. Introducing Thompsons and Snowy's Chase: [...] a new thematic idea appears at 1:11, bouncy and playful, possibly a secondary theme for Tintin himself or one of the antagonists that is repeated at 1:29

[...]

5. Marlinspike Hall: The theme heard in the last track (at 1:11 and 1:29) returns here in murky mysterious guise, horns wandering smokily around as if there is some sleuthing to be done. [...] At 1:18 double basses repeat the theme heard at the beginning of the track, which could perhaps be a melody for Marlinspike Hall or possibly Sakharine (a bit too cute for him perhaps) on pizzicato double basses and clarinet which gives away to a sense of suspence

Isn't that just Tintin's Theme?

Well there is only one thing that is really memorable in the samples is the heroic brass fanfare in Escape from Karaboudijain

Is that Tintin's theme?

Yes

Hopefully he''ll compose a full concert arrangement of Tintin's Theme to play at the Boston Pops and we'll get at least a crappy bootleg recording

The Adventures of Tintin, Snowy's Theme, The Adventure Continues, and (possibly) Sir Francis and the Unicorn are not good enough concert arrangement for you?

I think the fact that Tintin's theme is short and undeveloped fits the character. In the comics, he was kind of a blank slate to let adventures happen around. He doesn't have much of a personality of his own.

Also, we don't know for a fact that it is a theme for the character of Tintin. Perhaps it's just a generic "main theme". We have to see the movie.

Seriously, my main disappointment in the various samples so far is lack of a true concert arrangement for Tintin's Theme

How in the world can you be disappointed by this? We've known since the first samples hit the net on October 4th that there was no concert arrangement of Tintin's Theme on the CD.

I'm still resisting to the temptation... I want to listen to the full album in awe. I don't know if I'll resist more, though! Especially after reading all these enthusiastic comments.

You keep waiting, Zio! If you fall too, as many have before you, who will be left standing by my side?

The Sentinel of Liberty remains steadfast with the one who is called The Messenger.

4. Introducing Thompsons and Snowy's Chase: [...] a new thematic idea appears at 1:11, bouncy and playful, possibly a secondary theme for Tintin himself or one of the antagonists that is repeated at 1:29

[...]

5. Marlinspike Hall: The theme heard in the last track (at 1:11 and 1:29) returns here in murky mysterious guise, horns wandering smokily around as if there is some sleuthing to be done. [...] At 1:18 double basses repeat the theme heard at the beginning of the track, which could perhaps be a melody for Marlinspike Hall or possibly Sakharine (a bit too cute for him perhaps) on pizzicato double basses and clarinet which gives away to a sense of suspence

I was not sure if it was just Tintin's theme. It sounds a bit different and is developed differently that the heroic fanfare melody. I guess you could say it is the playful version of his theme then.

Hmmmm. Tintin's Theme certainly is a tricky one. No wonder I used to get it confused with the Unicorn Theme!

Hmmmm. Tintin's Theme certainly is a tricky one. No wonder I used to get it confused with the Unicorn Theme!

It seems to have the heroic and youthful incarnation and this other sleuthing and comedic variation which appears in the early tracks and then again in the Pursuit of the Falcon (near the end). The one in the Introduction of Thompsons it is very bouncy and fun but then subtly restated in the Marlingspike Hall in a more suspenceful way.

It is really a bit nebulous. I think I can hear some of this light variation in The Adventures of Tintin as well.

Escape From Karaboudjan.....2:02 sounds sooo familiar...why?

I figured it out! it reminds me of TLW, either "Visitor In San Diego" or "Ludlow's Demise"!

I figured it out! it reminds me of TLW, either "Visitor In San Diego" or "Ludlow's Demise"!

Perhaps The Belly of the Steel Beast from TLC?

Nope its TLW. (though TLC does sound like it also)

here at 3:18:

I was reminded a bit of the ending of the Belly of the Steel Beast in that brassy question and answer type of idea which is featured in both scores.

Not really, no. If you altered a note here and there, the rhythm, the speed, etc., you can hear anything you want! ;)

Ok, Chris, you intrigued me to search about the opening notes of track 1 and this is what i found. ;-)

actually in the opening of track 1, there are elements of the thompson' theme main motif.

e.g. in the opening theme of track 1 we would have G - C# -D - G in an upwards direction.

(so tonic - dominant through down neighbouring note - tonic) ( a motif that is repeated many times through the course of the track)

in the thompson's theme the main motif in the same scale would be B - C# - D - B (first B goes down and then we return to it)

(so it's 3rd - dominant through down neighboring note - 3rd)

well, to some it may not seem much of a similarity, but based on Reti's " thematic process in music" which shows the underlying similarities in many motis and themes in classical music, the similarity is there.

Now, I don't know if it's conscious or not..

[...]

I was not sure if it was just Tintin's theme. It sounds a bit different and is developed differently that the heroic fanfare melody. I guess you could say it is the playful version of his theme then.

I think I see what you are talking about now, Incanus! I was just listening to "Escape From The Karaboudjan". Check out 0:11-0:14, and then 0:17-0:22..... I have been referring to both of those melodies as "Tintin's Theme", without realizing they were different! Guess I needed to hear them back to back.

Perhap's one functions as a generic main theme for the film, and the other is for Tintin specifically? Hmmm.

[...]

I think I see what you are talking about now, Incanus! I was just listening to "Escape From The Karaboudjan". Check out 0:11-0:14, and then 0:17-0:22..... I have been referring to both of those melodies as "Tintin's Theme", without realizing they were different! Guess I needed to hear them back to back.

Perhap's one functions as a generic main theme for the film, and the other is for Tintin specifically? Hmmm.

Well it could be but until we see the film it will have to remain a mystery.

0:17-0:22: A section

0:11-0:14: B section

This is a good guess. On the album Williams uses them in conjuction in Escape from Karaboudjan and The Pursuit of the Falcon where you can really hear how closely they seem to relate to each other (4:46 in that track the opening of the secondary theme / B section is repeated a few times after the grand statement of the A phrase just before).

0:17-0:22: A section

0:11-0:14: B section

That's possible. Though if in the film each "section" represents something different we can assign more discernible names to them

this theme that you all say (introducing Thomsons at 1.11, escape from karaboudjan 0.11, Marlinspike Hall start), is again based on the opening pizzicato phrase of track 1. Yes, it's different from Tintin's theme, and it may represent something.

Also Jason, it's the same theme again in the start of Escape (those pizzicato strings), but in a slightly altered rhythm (like staggering) that it doesn't show so much.

I see what you're saying:

Theme 1 (A version) is in

1. The Adventures of Tintin 0:34-0:37, 2:14-2:18, 2:48-2:52

3. The Secret of the Scrolls 2:17-2:26

5. Marlinspike Hall 2:32-2:34

6. Escape from the Karaboudjan 0:17-0:22, 0:49-0:53, 0:59-1:10, 1:23-1:25, 2:19-2:22

8. Captain Haddock Takes The Oars 1:51-1:54

and Theme 2 (B Version) is in

4. Introducing the Thompsons and Snowy's Chase 1:10-1:13, 1:29-1:32, 1:50-1:51, 2:52-2:53, 3:48-4:03

5. Marlinspike Hall 0:03-0:04

6. Escape from the Karaboudjan 0:11-0:14

Right?

---

Also, is 3:41-3:46 in "Red Rackham's Curse and The Treasure" related to the Unicorn Theme.... or something else entirely?

yes. although i would say in Marlinspike hall it's from 0.00, and it's also in 0.00 in Escape.

Here's the relation of Tintin's theme with the other theme. You can see clearly their similarity.

tintino.jpg

in 3.41 that you said, it's actually the unicorn theme. It hasn't any changed notes.

Actually all the themes, are related (tintin's theme, unicorn's theme, new theme). this is the genius of Williams! ;-)

OK, so:

Tintin's Theme:

1. The Adventures of Tintin 0:34-0:37, 2:14-2:18, 2:48-2:52

3. The Secret of the Scrolls 2:17-2:26

5. Marlinspike Hall 2:32-2:34

6. Escape from the Karaboudjan 0:17-0:22, 0:49-0:53, 0:59-1:10, 1:23-1:25, 2:19-2:22

8. Captain Haddock Takes The Oars 1:51-1:54

"New Theme", which is really the second half of Tintin's Theme slightly altered:

4. Introducing the Thompsons and Snowy's Chase 1:10-1:13, 1:29-1:32, 1:50-1:51, 2:52-2:53, 3:48-4:03

5. Marlinspike Hall 0:00-0:05

6. Escape from the Karaboudjan 0:00-0:05, 0:11-0:14

Now where in what tracks does the "slight variant" of Tintin's Theme from your picture play?

and of course, all these lead to the basic elementary motif of track 1. that's where the themes where derived from.

tintin2.jpg

Now where in what tracks does the "slight variant" of Tintin's Theme from your picture play?

one instance is in Escape at 0.17''.

it's just the first 2 notes of each phrase inverted. there are many slight variants of the theme. just thought to put this too in the picture, since i listened to this track.

and of course, all these lead to the basic elementary motif of track 1. that's where the themes where derived from.

tintin2.jpg

Also heard in "Capturing Mr. Silk"

I've missed so much since my computer broke down. Now I'm catching up from the short sample tracks.

Oh my God! It's like part Dracula, part Harry Potter, part Family Plot...**** it, it's just JW. It's all wonderwful.

Completely disagree. Return To Marlinspike Hall and Finale is a great ending to the score proper, and The Adventure Continues is a terrific concert arrangement with an AWESOME end (all 3 of them!)