The Official Tintin Unreleased Music Thread

King Mark

Right, it's the original version of Old Enemies Meet that was replaced by a rescore on the OST and in the film (heard in "Sir Francis and the Unicorn" OST track)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the same as the trailer music from this summer, so 0:19-0:35 are Williams... so 16 seconds.

Is'nt that from Sir francis and the unicorn? or is that from clash of the cranes?

It's the same as the trailer music from this summer, so 0:19-0:35 are Williams... so 16 seconds.

Is'nt that from Sir francis and the unicorn? or is that from clash of the cranes?

It's not hard to look at 4 posts above yours...

The original cue was called "Old Enemies Meet" and that was (we must assume) recorded in Feb 2010 with the rest of the score, and that recording was used in the trailer.

The film got re-edited after the initial scoring sessions and Williams revised the music for that whole section of the film... And the revised cues were recorded in 2011 and used in the film as well as being put on the OST.

Really?

It sounds a bit different from Old Enemies Meet.

Well i know the 'dangerous' strings from "Introducing the Thompsons" were tracked in (right before the 'Crane Fight' sequence)

OK GOOD news. The rescoring situation isn't as bad as I initially thought. Old Enemies Meet actually plays in the film! Its not an unused early cue, its a normal cue from the film. They just replaced the entire middle section. But the great opening, the part heard in that first trailer, is heard in the film in its intended spot!

Nothing in "Sir Francis And The Unicorn" is a replacement of that cue. That track covers from them being lost in the desert to the end of the first major flashback sequence. "Old Enemies Meet" is the first cue of the second major flashback sequence

The Crane Fight area is a mess though, trying to unravel that now then I can post the complete cue list with timings.

Isn't that the norm when a new score comes out? The drama I mean.

It is good news that the glass is looking more half full than empty though. :)

The glass is always half empty with Williams

This is not a new Giacchino score where you can expect complete recording sessions and several expanded promos within weeks

It is good news that the glass is looking more half full than empty though.

Yeah, but we're still missing a thirst for adventure.

Wow. I think this is a serious contender for the "Joke Of The Year" award. "HyperBoal=Hyperbole" is in deep trouble. Yeah, it'll probably get a nomination, but it won't get the Finnish Boy the golden statue. Trust me on this

I'll see you at the award ceremonies. I hear The Tintin Movie Review is nominated in several categories as well, including the Most Spiteful Vitriol and The Most Crushing Opening Paragraph. And in 3D no less so it is pretty tough to beat. I think you are going to walk home with several of those golden statuettes. My paltry joke nominated for the Most Obvious and Clumsy Word Play of the Year is certainly a leading contender. I am going to Jay Leno's show to perform it to get some well deserved PR for it. Yo-Yo Ma is accompanying me there. I have a pretty good feeling about this.

This is not a new Giacchino score where you can expect complete recording sessions and several expanded promos within weeks

Yeah Johnny's music is very securely guarded compared to all other composers. Goldsmith's music is practically given away in comparison.

In the case of Tintin, things turned out much better than what could have been. In terms of fair representation of the score and its key moments/cues, I think it's Williams best album since Far and Away.

Oh I'm sure War Horse will have some brilliant unreleased music that is better then anything on the CD.

Think of all those unreleased gigantic and awesomely mind blowingly brilliant renditions of the main theme we don't get with the OST. Woe is us.

There are several Booom-tzz moments there. Keep listening.

But to get back to Tintin I have been repeating that the OST seems like a really good representation of the score since most tracks not on it are quite short, more of the establishing shot material, Tintin theme sounding in horns or other instruments as we see him or he is doing something adventurous. But the thing is that Williams does not extend the melody in any of those renditions although he instrumentally varies it quite a bit. The Karaboudjan contains several nice moments of thematic writing, mainly the Haddock material and the menacing Sakharine motif and the Crane Fight has a few moments of unreleased music that could have been included on the album. But that is about it.

We know more after Jason puts up his complete score analysis though.

Cool! Probably the original version of the Karaboudjan Escape.

LOVING IT!

Crane Fight is heard too. These are all the original versions of cues.

What the hell. Yesterday i was thinking, these awesome low strings with the brass in Crane Fight are so awesome (1:13.5 - 1:17.5), i want them clean!

And now we have them clean!!!!

Excpecting a book on what's included in the file from Jason.

Download Helper didn't pick up on an mp3 file when i went to that link? (I'm at work with sound turned off so haven't heard yet)

00:00 - 00:18: Old Enemies Meet (Original)

00:18 - 01:13: Escape from the Karaboudjan (Original)

01:13 - 02:04: Crane Fight (Original)

02:04 - end: The Pursuit of the Falcon (Original)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx79KHHpaE8&feature=feedu

The Crane Fight area is a mess though, trying to unravel that now then I can post the complete cue list with timings.

Giddily awaiting the cue list!

Nothing in "Sir Francis And The Unicorn" is a replacement of that cue. That track covers from them being lost in the desert to the end of the first major flashback sequence. "Old Enemies Meet" is the first cue of the second major flashback sequence

Well that's what i was trying to tell you earlier.

Some unreleased music can be heard on the UK movie site:

http://www.uk.movie....vetheadventure/

It sounds great!

Good catch! :) Sounds great indeed.

And thanks Alexander for making the video and breakdown of the material.

00:00 - 00:18: Old Enemies Meet (Original)

00:18 - 01:13: Escape from the Karaboudjan (Original)

01:13 - 02:04: Crane Fight (Original)

02:04 - end: The Pursuit of the Falcon (Original)

What? No. None of those cues you mentioned even have original vs revised versions

I hear:

0:00-0:18 portion of 1M21B Old Enemies Meet

0:18-0:57 an alternate take / different mix of a portion of "Escape From The Karaboudjan"

0:57-1:13 I can't place this

1:13-2:03 An unreleased portion of "The Clash Of the Cranes"

2:03-2:28 an alternate take / different mix of a portion of "The Pursuit of the Falcon"

It's very exciting to get this music! What are the odds that all 2 1/2 minutes of music a website would choose for their background would be music not on the OST!

It's very exciting to get this music! What are the odds that all 2 1/2 minutes of music a website would choose for their background would be music not on the OST!

I was thinking the exact same thing when I listened to it all. :lol: For once some accidental choices of music on the website and good luck provide us great snippets of unreleased JW music.

Makes you really wonder why JW edited the Clash of the Cranes since he had ample room on the CD to include it in complete form. I never quite understand the artistic humility.

The portion from 0:57-1:13 is really interesting. No idea what that is

Those up-and-down woodwinds remind me of the Escape from Karaboudjan a bit and there is that nice rendition of the Tintin Secondary Theme there. Can't it be from a different version of that cue?

I'm editing this track...

Should i use the beginning of Escape from the Karaboudjan from the OST? It's weird because normally where the EFTK portion of that mp3 begins there is a loud orchestra crash, but there isn't.

I am talking about the section which starts with Tintin's Theme at about 0:59 on the OST and then is followed by the furious rhythmic orchestral section, some lower strings repeating the up-and-down motion we hear on woodwinds in the snippet and then Tintin's Theme appearing where in this alternate there is the Tintin's Secondary Theme.

Too bad about the bitrate but good to have

maybe when the website was designed they only had older recordings that's why we have all alternates in there

maybe when the website was designed they only had older recordings that's why we have all alternates in there

I agree. We need to contact the designers, befriend them and get that material. We should all vote on the most charismatic and charming amongst us for the task. (And hold an alternate poll where Stefancos wins just to keep him happy.)

It's remarkable how much more jazzier Tintin's theme sounds in these snippets. Can we hypothesize that Williams originally envisioned the theme with a jazzy sound all throughout the movie and was asked to rewrite it into brassier, more traditional fanfares? Perhaps to not alienate audiences? I recall reading here that Tintin's theme was associated with a jazzy sound. This was months ago, maybe it was Jason -- but then again, it just may be he was outwardly describing "The Adventures of Tintin" and my mind is playing tricks.

I agree. We need to contact the designers, befriend them and get that material. We should all vote on the most charismatic and charming amongst us for the task. (And hold an alternate poll where Stefancos wins just to keep him happy.)

It's remarkable how much more jazzier Tintin's theme sounds in these snippets. Can we hypothesize that Williams originally envisioned the theme with a jazzy sound all throughout the movie and was asked to rewrite it into brassier, more traditional fanfares? Perhaps to not alienate audiences? I recall reading here that Tintin's theme was associated with a jazzy sound. This was months ago, maybe it was Jason -- but then again, it just may be he was outwardly describing "The Adventures of Tintin" and my mind is playing tricks.

The opening titles music of The Adventures of Tintin (aka Tinker-tin) has always been referred to as jazzy but I think the rest of the score was always described symphonic, expected and unexpected as orchestrator Conrad Pope put it. I do not think there was an idea to make the score more jazzy in general at any point. Williams responded the film with his usual orchestral adventure flair but I think the opening offered a singular chance to write jazzy, witty number with a quirky orchestration to accompany the Saul Bass styled animated credit sequence.

The orchestrations are peppered with unique colouring, saxophones and accordion the most notable inclusion and they do give some great diversity and different hues to the music, hint of film noir, hint of Gallic character to the locations, a bit of sea shanty feel for Haddock and nice general humor to the story. Williams has obvious fun with these film music staples, underscoring e.g. the French seaplane pilots with accordion accents here and there.

Wow... now that my worst fears about the OST presentation are being confirmed as I type this , I hope we get the compete thing in 20 years

Wow... now that my worst fears about the OST presentation are being confirmed as I type this , I hope we get the compete thing in 20 years

:lol: Have you already chosen the roof top from whence you will be leaping to your unhappy doom since nothing in this world can ache like missing music from JW's adventure score?

I mean of course there will be music missing, awesome music, with nearly every JW OST release but the eternal pessimism is getting somewhat depressing. It is like pouting of a 8 year old who got the wrong action figure for Christmas type of thing, sitting in the corner refusing to play with it since it is just Action Monster, not Action Monster B Model with razor claws. Put the frustration to good use and study the music and write something positive about it, praise the score, praise the short and long unreleased cues! The ever pervasive furrowed brow attitude won't make the situation any better.