The Official Tintin Unreleased Music Thread

King Mark

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is like pouting of a 8 year old who got the wrong action figure for Christmas type of thing, sitting in the corner refusing to play with it since it is just Action Monster, not Action Monster B Model with razor claws.

Everybody knows Action Monster B Model with razor claws is way cooler. I mean, he can throw shurikens!

Have it your way then buster! You won't get anything next year from Santa, Mr. Pouty face!

Bwt KM did hearing the unreleased music improve your view of the score as a whole while obviously also leaving you wanting for more?

:lol: Have you already chosen the roof top from whence you will be leaping to your unhappy doom since nothing in this world can ache like missing music from JW's adventure score?

Most active members here represent a group of more or less silent JWFans, and KM is no exception :)

Well this group could sure cheer up a bit and enjoy the music we have even though at the moment the unreleased music is ours to enjoy only in the film itself. It is great stuff, no arguments there from me. And if I could get it released somehow, believe me, I would. :)

Well this great silent majority could sure cheer up a bit and enjoy the music we have even though at the moment the unreleased music is ours to enjoy only in the film itself. It is great stuff, no arguments there from me. And if I could get it released somehow, believe me, I would. :)

What "great silent majority" are you talking about? I said "a group", who have all the right in the world to complain endlessly about whatever they want, and do not need anyone to tell them to "cheer up".

In which case the Tintin unreleased music, because there's a ton of it ,and what I heard of it so far greatly enhances the score.

The themes are more easy to grasp because you hear them as Williams develops theme

Tintin's Heroic theme and what I think is his secondary theme are a lot more in your face.

The music at the beginning of the movie has a lot of "lore" cues (equivalent of Sankara Stones and Washington Men)

There's a few kick ass action cues. Portuguese Plane sounds like a Temple of Doom action cue. You Mean, The Poem? has some classic Williams moments. TubTub and The Radio Room are great too.

So far is sounds like a good Indy score and superior to KotCS

and I'm only half way.

In which case the Tintin unreleased music, because there's a ton of it ,and what I heard of it so far greatly enhances the score.

The themes are more easy to grasp because you hear them as Williams develops them

The music at the beginning of the movie has a lot of "lore" cues (equivalent of Sankara Stones and Washington Men)

A few of the action cues kick ass. Portuguese Plane sounds like a Temple of Doom action cue. You Mean, The Poem? has some classic Williams moments

and I'm only half way.

Well they are just about as important as missing Indiana Jones cues. I sure think so. Here's to hoping that the Academy gets promos of scores "as heard in the film"! ;)

I think the OST should have been 75 minutes long instead of 65, and the 10 minutes worth of material they should have added should have been "The Library" (1:50), "You Mean, The Poem?" (1:42), "Tub...Tub" (3:14), "Portugese Plane" (2:09), and "Old Enemies Meet" (1:16). That would have been an almost perfect OST.

Yes, that's the problem. Like Last Crusade has a "not bad" OST but...

Sure but we could have had it a lot worse. Tintin OST could have been like ToD's.

I think the OST should have been 75 minutes long instead of 65, and the 10 minutes worth of material they should have added should have been "The Library" (1:50), "You Mean, The Poem?" (1:42), "Tub...Tub" (3;14), and "Portugese Plane" (2:09) and "Old Enemies Meet" (1:16). That would have been an almost perfect OST.

Well those certainly would have been excellent additions. The missing smidgen of the Clash of the Cranes restored would have been welcome too.

I think the OST should have been 75 minutes long instead of 65, and the 10 minutes worth of material they should have added should have been "The Library" (1:50), "You Mean, The Poem?" (1:42), "Tub...Tub" (3:14), "Portugese Plane" (2:09), and "Old Enemies Meet" (1:16). That would have been an almost perfect OST.

yes but either Sony Classical or Williams put Introducing Bianca Castafiore, to entice a few classical music fans to buy the album or to please Renee Flemming that her contribution is ion the OST .And 65 minutes is way too short.

I don't think any score was sacrificed to fit that cue on there. I think we would have gotten the same 62 minutes of score cues with or without the opera track being on there.

yes but either Sony Classical or Williams put Introducing Bianca Castafiore, to entice a few classical music fans to buy the album or to please Renee Flemming that her contribution is ion the OST

I think we can assume that inclusion of her contribution to the album was not negotiable plus I have a feeling Williams wanted to include the track to explain his musical quote/joke in the following chase music.

That 3 minute of the album should be wasted to "explain" why there's a classical music quote opening the next cue?

And if they had to include it they still had 15 minutes of c.d. space.

The ONLY thing they did right is dropping Picking Pockets,because that would have been a additional 2 minutes of wasted space

AGAIN, nothing was WASTED. Including that track did NOT mean other score cues were sacrificed in the process. Why can't you get that into your head?

Again KM, dropping Picking Pockets didn't mean that other score cues got added in its place. You're sounding like a lunatic

It serves as a bridge between The Adventures of Tintin and the first Unicorn cue. If you take it out it's a bit jarring. As usual, JW's music works on its own, if you take something away, you might break something!

All I'm saying is that Sony Classical releases score albums in the most "cost efficient" way .Where other labels might include more music to please the fans (like KotCS was 74 minutes) , Sony Classical just puts out the bare bones acceptable minimum for a c.d, because they probably calculate every second of music vs their profits margin.

Meaning if they didn't include Introducing Bianca Castafiore, the would have put another cue to make the c.d. exactly 65 minutes (amount of music where they probably have to pay the musicians more to add anything else)

Dropping Picking Pockets was probably a financial one, not because it dragged the musical experience

I'm sorry but I think you are completely wrong. I'm sure Sony Classical would have let John Williams release the OST at any length he wanted, and I think the OST we got is his preferred and intended arrangement of the score.

I agree with Jason. Williams has almost never released a complete score. He has always combined cues, left out music that he feels interrupts the flow of the album and presented it out of sequence.

Regardless of what label was releasing the CD.

I think the only time Sony has interfered was when they held off "On The Conveyor Belt" for the main US version of the CD and stuff like that. It remains to be seen if they similarly held Picking Pockets off the European release for a US Only bonus track. I should know soon.

if there's ever a bonus tracks I doubt it will be Picking Pockets now

It's like Williams tried to make source music that sounds like some guy playing the accordion on a street corner and improvising.

Back to the unreleased music;

Past The Portuguese Plane there is not really important cues or music sections left off the OST.

So most of the unreleased music is from the first half of the film where Williams establishes the themes and motifs, and there is quite a lot, which makes the OST sound like puzzle with missing pieces.

Important unreleased cues:

-The Library

-You Mean, The Poem? (with a very cool woodwind passage)

-Introducing Haddock/Pop that Cork/Haddock Wakes Up/TubTub/Snowy and the Sandwich/The Radio Room . That whole missing section could have combined all that in 1 OST track instead of Introducing Bianca Castafiore.

-Whiskey Stash/Portuguese Plane . A definite highlight of the score that deserved to be on the OST.

Past The Portuguese Plane there is no more important cues or music tidbits left off the OST.

Except for the original versions of cues...

yes, but still we have a version of them

Also another observation is all of the important variations of Tintin's Heroic Theme are on the OST , except the ones in The Radio Room and Portuguese Plane . But the best ones are still in Escape from the Karaboudjian ,Flight to Bragghar and Pursuit of the Falcon

Dropping Picking Pockets was probably a financial one, not because it dragged the musical experience

I think you're falling again victim of too wild speculation imho.

It's more likely that the track was initially planned, but then Williams (or someone close to him) felt the OST would be better without. Plain and simple.

How about someone close to him telling him highlights like Portuguese Plane shoudn't be lest off the album?

I can imagine easily a consigliere type person beside Williams' office chair in a dimly lit library room whispering to his ear when Maestro looks over the track list for his next soundtrack release. It should be one of us who know what should be on these CDs!

You people lay off KM. His constant concern for unreleased music is an important part of the conversation about every new Williams release. We don't want this place to become more benevolent and conformist than it should, do we?

I mean, we all enjoy what music is released (even KM or he wouldn't worry so much about the rest of it), but I think posts like this...

Important unreleased cues:

-The Library

-You Mean, The Poem? (with a very cool woodwind passage)

-Introducing Haddock/Pop that Cork/Haddock Wakes Up/TubTub/Snowy and the Sandwich/The Radio Room . That whole missing section could have combined all that in 1 OST track instead of Introducing Bianca Castafiore.

-Whiskey Stash/Portuguese Plane . A definite highlight of the score that deserved to be on the OST.

... are important to have in a John Williams fansite.

Well this great silent majority could sure cheer up a bit and enjoy the music we have even though at the moment the unreleased music is ours to enjoy only in the film itself. It is great stuff, no arguments there from me. And if I could get it released somehow, believe me, I would. :)

What "great silent majority" are you talking about? I said "a group", who have all the right in the world to complain endlessly about whatever they want, and do not need anyone to tell them to "cheer up".

It is not just a right. It is a necessity for the rest of us.

Here's to hoping that the Academy gets promos of scores "as heard in the film"! ;)

I didn't note down how much unreleased music there was in Tintin. How much of a Ultimate Edition scenario would such an otherwise welcome promo represent?

I'm sorry but I think you are completely wrong. I'm sure Sony Classical would have let John Williams release the OST at any length he wanted, and I think the OST we got is his preferred and intended arrangement of the score.

I don't disagree with you here, but Sony Classical is an evil, moneygrabbing label. Even if this release is one Williams' best with them, we should still distrust them.

I like the short flute cue after the sea battle cue and stuff like that.

I agree. It is a nice short atmospheric transitional piece. :)

How about someone close to him telling him highlights like Portuguese Plane shoudn't be lest off the album?

I can imagine easily a consigliere type person beside Williams' office chair in a dimly lit library room whispering to his ear when Maestro looks over the track list for his next soundtrack release. It should be one of us who know what should be on these CDs!

Yes, and I bet that guy had Williams sign things banning people who want 75 minute releases from working with him. "He signed it this morning"