Does John Powell kick John Williams's ass?

Hlao-roo

Powell versus Williams  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the superior action-adventure score?

• How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
    • The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes Tintin will stand the test of time. not because it's the best Williams score ever, but because it's JW and JW will be remembered long after John Powell

Where's the John Powell message board with an active community like here? And 237 pages of thread archives.

I'm sure those that voted for Powell are the usual suspects, Koray, Bloodboal....fans of other composers that come here to push how great their video game music is and that RCP is sometimes equal or superior to JW

Oh come on, KM, you're starting to sound like you usually do when you get all defensive. You of all people should know how great video game music can be, although I have no idea what that has to do with anything in this thread. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to accept that others don't think John Williams is a damned god.

I say, "John Williams is a better composer, but Powell has done better scores than Tintin." Everyone else reads, "Powell is better than Williams."

I am so really sorry in advance for this but, *ahem*

HAVE YOU LOST YOU F***ING MIND?????????????????????

Powell has 10% of John's talent and 4% of his knowledge

HELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO????????????????????????????????

Reality check PLEASE!

Are these accurate statistics?

Ban him!

Ban such a clever man of obvious high culture and sardonic wit? Don't be absurd my good fellow. Now that was a preposterous suggestion! Outrageous even. Harrumph!

I'm sure those that voted for Powell are the usual suspects, Koray, Bloodboal....fans of other composers that come here to push how great their video game music is and that RCP is sometimes equal or superior to JW.

RCP composers only meet one out of the following three elements: To compose music that works well within the film AND perform-able for the concert stage AND not boring to perform for the musicians. Having composed two orchestral compositions myself, I have found meeting the "not boring to perform" requirement to be much more difficult than writing music that just "works well" with some arbitrary visuals. However, John Williams is a master at all of that, which is why his scores will always sound more complete and complex than RCP scores. And being able to write memorable melodies/themes? That's just icing on the cake when compared to those fundamentals. And of course John Williams is also a master at writing themes, which is why he's the most complete composer in Hollywood. RCP composers take the easy way out by writing simple themes with minimal orchestration. While it's a very effective technique and it certainly gets the job done in the film, it lacks creativity and complexity. So RCP vs. JW? Please. The difference between their skill levels are too vast to make a comparison. Do RCP composers even know what a woodwind section is? Just sayin...

As for Powell's score, I think it's an above average score because it's more orchestral and complex than any RCP score. In terms of effectiveness within the film I think it's on par with Tintin, and possibly even better if you're a Powell fan. In terms of musical complexity, Tintin is still better. So overall, because of musical complexity, I'll have to give a slight edge to Tintin with this comparison. So the answer the OP's question is No, Powell does not kick Williams' ass.

Reality check PLEASE!

This.

Why, of course. But i'm not less entertained when the shuffle mode lands on ICE AGE 3's END CREDITS or something from KUNG FU PANDA.

John Williams stands above entertainment.

I'm sure those that voted for Powell are the usual suspects, Koray, Bloodboal....fans of other composers that come here to push how great their video game music is and that RCP is sometimes equal or superior to JW.

RCP composers only meet one out of the following three elements: To compose music that works well within the film AND perform-able for the concert stage AND not boring to perform for the musicians. Having composed two orchestral compositions myself, I have found meeting the "not boring to perform" requirement to be much more difficult than writing music that just "works well" with some arbitrary visuals. However, John Williams is a master at all of that, which is why his scores will always sound more complete and complex than RCP scores. And being able to write memorable melodies/themes? That's just icing on the cake when compared to those fundamentals. And of course John Williams is also a master at writing themes, which is why he's the most complete composer in Hollywood. RCP composers take the easy way out by writing simple themes with minimal orchestration. While it's a very effective technique and it certainly gets the job done in the film, it lacks creativity and complexity. So RCP vs. JW? Please. The difference between their skill levels are too vast to make a comparison. Do RCP composers even know what a woodwind section is? Just sayin...

As for Powell's score, I think it's an above average score because it's more orchestral and complex than any RCP score. In terms of effectiveness within the film I think it's on par with Tintin, and possibly even better if you're a Powell fan. In terms of musical complexity, Tintin is still better. So overall, because of musical complexity, I'll have to give a slight edge to Tintin with this comparison. So the answer the OP's question is No, Powell does not kick Williams' ass.

All I got from this post is that orchestral complexity makes a score great.

Biggest load of shit I've read in awhile.

Hey gkgyver, I'm starting to like your attitude!

All I got from this post is that orchestral complexity makes a score great.

Biggest load of shit I've read in awhile.

No. Just read your own posts.

Reality check PLEASE!

This.

Why, of course. But i'm not less entertained when the shuffle mode lands on ICE AGE 3's END CREDITS or something from KUNG FU PANDA.

Angry fanboy alert!

I see composers are still kicking each others' butts here. I sure hope they don't drag poor Herrmann or Korngold into this. Because those two would go swashbucklingly psychotic on their hineys.

Reality check PLEASE!

This.

Angry fanboy alert!

I'm sure John Powell has a horn concerto or two in him, and Kung Fu Panda will be enjoyed by millions in concerts worldwide. I bet someone is working on a book about his music right now.

I'm sure John Powell has a horn concerto or two in him, and Kung Fu Panda will be enjoyed by millions in concerts worldwide. I bet someone is working on a book about his music right now.

And that makes you....a fanboy less angry?

• 2 months later...

Reality check PLEASE!

This.

Angry fanboy alert!

Nope . just being realistic. :)

Reality check PLEASE!

This.

Angry fanboy alert!

It took you more than two months to come up with that response..? ;)

Reality check PLEASE!

This.

Angry fanboy alert!

It took you more than two months to come up with that response..? ;)

:lol: