Which album do you enjoy listening to more?

Josh500

Which album do you enjoy listening to more?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. The Adventures of Tintin vs. War Horse

• The Adventures of Tintin
    • War Horse

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tintin lacks War Horse's soul. There are some fun melodies and action/adventure music, Williamsisms left and right, sure. My favorite material is the main title, chase scene and the finale.

Bored of Tintin?! Somethings seriously wrong dude ;)

There is just so much energy and enthusiasm in the score that you can't help but stop listening to it! It is fantastic all the way through. I also think its a score that really grows on you. Tintin has soul alright, just very different from War Horse. Where War Horse wins in terms of beauty and emotion, Tintin wins you over with its adventurous and quirky spirit. I had a tough time picking between the two for my favourite score of the year, but I ended up with War Horse simply because of its beauty. I was listening to it yesterday, and damn, those flute solos get me every time!!!

Tintin's a mixed bag. The highlights are fantastic and the "big picture" is just as thoroughly and creatively crafted as any Williams score (maybe even moreso), but there's a lot of music that is just too distractible. I actually think it's one of Williams' least good scores in years, and even then I'd say it's very good.

War Horse is my favorite type of Williams score--easily accessible for the casual listen, but also very complex and intelligently composed so that it never gets boring. The whole thing is fantastic, probably his best score since 2005.

Going through my 2011 scores, the two Williams'es still are TOP 5 material and while TINTIN gets the Horner trophy for unashamed recycling, it is breezy and entertaining all the same. Both are good, not great but in those dark times for lovers of scores telling good stories, they still reign supreme.

Where did all these Tintin haters come from? All of you hailed it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've been with Johnny's POV since the beginning. Could have used you on the board back when it was released! :P

I don't hate it, I just find it a mediocre work in JW's canon. It still has some highlights.

For me, it depends on how I'm feeling that particular day. If I'm feeling more joyful and optimist, then Tintin wins. But when I'm feeling more reflexive or mature, War Horse wins.

They're both great for me. Tintin is a lot more fun and easier to listen to, but War Horse has so much heart and passion that is impossible to resist. They're different things of the same greatness. It's like comparing Star Wars to Close Encounters (just a comparison, don't even start on saying how those two are much better, even if they are).

I've always been here. Just got around to listening to it.

Yeah but you recently started posting a lot more! Keep it up!

Where did all these Tintin haters come from? All of you hailed it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've been with Johnny's POV since the beginning. Could have used you on the board back when it was released! :P

I don't hate it, I just find it a mediocre work in JW's canon. It still has some highlights.

Thank you! It was me and Powell vs the world back in the sub-forum days.

I'd rate both scores 4,5 stars (out of 5)!

Ah, who am I kidding! I give both scores 5 stars, period. Sure, these aren't E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, or Schindler's List, but if I only gave five stars to scores that came close to these in quality, no score in the world would ever get 5 stars again!

I gotta say, I was really pleasantly astonished at the quality and listenability of both (especially after Indy 4)!

TINTIN by a wide, wide margin. WAR HORSE is rather disappointing and belongs among the middle ground JW scores for me.

I agree!

:lol:

For me, it depends on how I'm feeling that particular day. If I'm feeling more joyful and optimist, then Tintin wins. But when I'm feeling more reflexive or mature, War Horse wins.

Yes. :thumbup:

Bored of Tintin?! Somethings seriously wrong dude ;)

There is just so much energy and enthusiasm in the score that you can't help but stop listening to it! It is fantastic all the way through. I also think its a score that really grows on you. Tintin has soul alright, just very different from War Horse. Where War Horse wins in terms of beauty and emotion, Tintin wins you over with its adventurous and quirky spirit. I had a tough time picking between the two for my favourite score of the year, but I ended up with War Horse simply because of its beauty. I was listening to it yesterday, and damn, those flute solos get me every time!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

You still don't like Tintin? :blink:

WTH!

How could you not like this, and like Home Alone, Harry Potter, etc.? Or do you dislike these as well?

Home Alone and Harry Potter are far greater than Tintin.

Well, I guess.

But still... they are of the same texture, as it were.

They're both great for me. Tintin is a lot more fun and easier to listen to, but War Horse has so much heart and passion that is impossible to resist. They're different things of the same greatness. It's like comparing Star Wars to Close Encounters (just a comparison, don't even start on saying how those two are much better, even if they are).

More like comparing "Jurassic Park" and "Schindler's List" or "Angela's Ashes" and "The Phantom Menace"... ;)

Home Alone and Harry Potter are far greater than Tintin.

Tintin is fun, though.

I disagree. Tintin is definitely better than Home Alone (which is a great score in its own right) and doesn't fall that far behind Harry Potter. Its a fantastic score!

Okay, I personally prefer Home Alone over Tintin, but of course that's a matter of taste.

Tintin, though, has a much more complex orchestration as well as musical ideas.

Just the track "Pursuit" alone... oh man!

Home Alone is a great score with a lot of heart and it is a personal favourite of mine. But its a kind of seasonal score for me that work as well during lets say the summer time. Tintin is more well-rounded to me and showcases Williams' talents in a better way.

Home Alone is still awesome though.

while TINTIN gets the Horner trophy for unashamed recycling

This is something I object to. The only "unashamed recycling" I hear is ripping the Unicorn's Theme from The Fury, but even that isn't quite on Horner's level because the Unicorn theme is derived from Tintin's theme. Other than that, there are stylistic tendencies that we've certainly heard before, but even if you consider this to be recycling (which I don't), it doesn't come close to Horner's note-for-note rips.

Home Alone is not even in the same degree of awesome.

That's right. HOME ALONE is top shelf Williams. TINTIN is that shelf just above the dusty lower ones.

Home Alone is not even in the same degree of awesome.

That's right. HOME ALONE is top shelf Williams. TINTIN is that shelf just above the dusty lower ones.

Nope. Not even close ;)

You still don't like Tintin? :blink:

WTH!

How could you not like this, and like Home Alone, Harry Potter, etc.? Or do you dislike these as well?

Was my opinion supposed to change over time? ;) Home Alone is a great score, and since Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone and Tintin both heavily derive from it, yes I'm not a huge fan. Btw, what's wrong with not having a lot of 5-star scores? I think the way you throw them around diminishes the meaning it has for the good stuff. If Star Wars and Tintin are both 5 star scores to your ears, that means Tintin is as good as Star Wars. I'm sure you would disagree, so knock it down to a 4 or something! :P

Or do you dislike these as well?

*soundofworldcollapsing*

:lol:

Was my opinion supposed to change over time? ;) Home Alone is a great score, and since Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone and Tintin both heavily derive from it, yes I'm not a huge fan.

Hmmm, "derive"? That's the worst way to describe it, isn't it? JW builds on his earlier scores (at least in part), sure, but that's what all great artists do. ;) They are all the same type of score, but each score offers plenty of new stuff, ideas, etc, IMO.

Btw, what's wrong with not having a lot of 5-star scores? I think the way you throw them around diminishes the meaning it has for the good stuff. If Star Wars and Tintin are both 5 star scores to your ears, that means Tintin is as good as Star Wars. I'm sure you would disagree, so knock it down to a 4 or something! :P

Well, I see it like this. You might have a scale from 1-100, 100 being the best. So it would break down like this:

1-20: 1 star

21-40: 2 stars

41-60: 3 stars

61-80: 4 stars

81-100: 5 stars

Tintin might have 91 points, Star Wars 100 points! But both get 5 stars! ;)