JW on piano

Mahawa

I'm looking for somebody who can play the piano?

On my website http://www.mahawa.jw-music.net/viola/index.htm you can download viola solos of JW themes that my wife Katrin performed. I have a faible for "basic simplicities" - I mean I love JW's orchestral sound, but I find it fascinating that at the very heart of complex pieces with all those dozens of instruments is very often a gentle and "simple" melody consisting of just a few notes. That's why I like Katrin's versions of JW themes so much - they touch the essence, the "idea" of JW's music. And I would very much like to hear piano versions of JW themes.

Now I can't play the piano, and my wife says she isn't good enough.

My idea is to find somebody who is willing to play JW themes on piano and record this music (e.g. on MiniDisc). I would then make mp3 files of those recordings and present them on my website. (If Andreas doesn't mind? ROTFLMAO )

You could choose the themes you want to play, of course. As for sheet music, I can offer scans from the book "Greatest Hits 1969-1999". I can also provide you with the notes Katrin used for her viola performances.

It would be nice if some of you out there could help me get this thing going.

Please write to Markus.Hable@t-online.de

Thanks.

-Markus

PS: These are the contents of the "Greates Hits" book

Main Title from Star Wars

Flying Theme from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Main Title from Superman

Parade of the Slave Children from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Theme from Sugarland Express

Theme from Jaws

Olympic Fanfare and Theme (Written for the 1984 Olympic Games, Los Angeles)

Luke and Leia from Return of the Jedi

Main Title from The Reivers

The Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Cadillac of the Skies from Empire of the Sun

Raiders of the Lost Ark from Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Excerpts)

Hymn to the Fallen from Saving Private Ryan

Theme from Jurassic Park

Theme from Schindler's List

Flight to Neverland from Hook

Seven Years in Tibet from Seven Years in Tibet

Prologue from JFK

The Days Between from Stepmom

March from 1941

Main Title from Home Alone ("Somewhere in My Memory")

Summon the Heroes

Look Down, Lord (Reprise and Finale) from Rosewood

Theme from Far and Away

Theme from Born on the Fourth of July

Duel Of The Fates from Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your interest!

@ Bart:

Sounds great!

@ Kradia:

I'd like to hear piano solos. Check the viola solos on my website - it would be nice to have similar recordings not by a viola but by a piano player.

I would like to record JP, but I don't have equipment for that.

However, I can provide more sheet music, if you want.

Yoda's Theme

Sugarland Express Main Theme

Exsultate Justi (from EOTS)

Out to Sea (from Jaws)

Always Theme

From Schindler's list: Remembrances, Inmolation, Stolen Memories, etc.

From Phantom Menace: Anakin's Theme, Jar-Jar, Augie's Great Municipal Band, etc.

From E.T.: E.T.'s Halloween, Adventure on Earth, E.T.&Elliott, etc.

From JP: Journey to the Island, A tree for my bed, My friend, the brachiosaurus

And coming soon Fawkes the Phoenix.

I could play:

The Raiders March

Theme of Jaws

Across the Stars*

Call of the Champions*

*- These are my alternate but very similar to the Original Versions(I dont use any Sheet music for them)

are you looking for just the themes or all the notes on the piece of sheet music. . .

i was a piano major and may be able to find time to record some pieces for you. . . . . .

I NEED to get the CoS music. . . .already have the PS music. .

The Eagle has landed...

Dr. Jones sent me his piano recording of "Call of the Champions", so I think my little project is getting started. Thank you, Dr. Jones!

@ scissorhands:

Thanks for your support. Could you please send me sheet music for

- Yoda's Theme

- Out to Sea

@ Ren:

I take whatever you send me... :)

As I said, I have a faible for the "simplicity" of an interesting melody so your recording doesn't have to be "long". (Check Katrin's viola performance of "The Imperial March".) On the other hand I've never heard piano versions of the sheet music printed in the "Greatest Hits" book so if you chose to play one of those, it would be a great listening experience for me.

I know the First Official CD from "John Williams' music on the piano" will be soon officialy released. It's a friend of mine who is actually recording it next week-end and who is a hell of a pianist. It will be distributed by Universal music. More to come, I will sure make some advertising soon to all JW fans as soon as I get more official info about it.

:?

where did the other thread go...anyways,the E.T flying theme sounds bettter on the piano than " over the moon" IMO.

hmmm ,this has been brought up before,but anyone knows if it's Williams playing the piano in the End Credits of E.T.?

K.M.

Two links that I posted on this board were removed by Ricard because of "legal problems". I respect that, of course, but since you all know about my little piano project now, I'd like to continue "in private".

If some of you send me their piano recordings, I will surely present them on my website or provide you with a CD-R of the piano collection.

So if you can play the piano and want to "borrow" sheet music from me, please write to Markus.Hable@t-online.de

Thanks.

this has been brought up before,but anyone knows if it's Williams playing the piano in the End Credits of E.T.?

I used to wonder about that. Somehow it really sounds like Williams is playing it.

But in terms of the logistics of the recording process, I doubt it. A because Williams would be conducting, even if the piano part was recorded seperately, and B Williams would have been too busy with other tasks to have prepared to play such a complex piano piece. He may have written it but that doesn't mean he could play it perfectly LOL

Perhaps I'm wrong.

Mr. Williams have played small piano solos on several of his own scores -- he seems to enjoy it. I'm sure he did that on Schiondler's List end credits, and on the openning music of Angela's Ashes. And I'm also pretty sure, that on most scores that have proeminent piano parts, he did something too. Regarding E.T's end credits, I think I've read some time ago, that he did play the piano -- but since I don't remeber where I've read that, I'm really not sure if I only imagined that.

The reason I asked is that I remember that he didn't really break a sweat playing Angela's Ashes while conducting at the same time on a pops special.I thought "who did he do that?"i was really impressed...having to do a lot of things at the same time like that requires a lot of skill,never seen that before.He would sit at the piano just enough to play the notes than stand up again to give instructions to the narrator and the orchestra..

K.M..

There are a number of soloists/conductors who do/did that all the time. I remember Leonard Bernstein, André Previn, Muray Perhapia, and many other. I think I have seen somewhere a performance of The Four Seasons, by Vivaldi, where the violin soloist also conducted the orchestra.

But, yes, this musicians have to be terribly good to pull that one out of their hats.

And I'm also pretty sure, that on most scores that have proeminent piano parts, he did something too.

Miguel,

I think that the excellent jazz piano work on Earthquake was performed by Clare Fischer. He seemed to feature in many of the best jazz scores during the 70s and was also used a lot by the likes of Quincy Jones and David Shire.

Damien

I would like to record JP, but I don't have equipment for that.

And coming soon Fawkes the Phoenix.

Yes me neither, I don't know how to record from MD to mp3. Any tips?

I have that WB CoS book (Selected themes-Piano Solos...)

Mr. Williams have played small piano solos on several of his own scores -- he seems to enjoy it. I'm sure he did that on Schiondler's List end credits, and on the openning music of Angela's Ashes. And I'm also pretty sure, that on most scores that have proeminent piano parts, he did something too. Regarding E.T's end credits, I think I've read some time ago, that he did play the piano -- but since I don't remeber where I've read that, I'm really not sure if I only imagined that.

I'm sure I read somewhere that JW indeed played the piano in the E.T End Credits, but, like you, I can't back this information.

@ scissorhand

@ Kradia

If you have recorded your piano solo on MiniDisc, you need to

- connect your MiniDisc with your PC soundcard

- play the music from the MiniDisc and record it with a WaveEditor

Then you have a large wav file on your hard drive that you can

- burn on CD or

- compress to a small mp3 file

If you need to know more or don't have the necessary tools, write to me at

Markus.Hable@-online.de

Very interesting. What is your source for that... Do you know if he worked in any other Williams scores?

Miguel,

I have an interesting book that belonged to my Dad (who was an excellent jazz pianist, by the way) called Jazz In The Movies 1917-1977 by David Meeker. It was published in the late 70s but I find it an invaluable source of information and it appears to be very well researched.

For example, did you know that it is the legendary jazz trumpeter Jack Sheldon who plays in The Long Goodbye? Or that Toots Thielemans plays harmonica in Cinderella Liberty as well as The Sugarland Express?

If you come across a copy I would certainly recommend it, especially if you are (like me) also a big fan of the likes of Lalo Schifrin and David Shire.

Damien :)

I've read about that book. I'll trty to get one...

And yes, I knew about Toots Thielmanns on Cinderella Liberty and Sugarland Express. His solos were credited on the lp release of the first one, and on the film credits of the second.

But thank you for the info about Jack Sheldon and The Long Goodbye.

This is an exciting project Mahawa, and kudos to you for getting people on these boards to collaborate on it! I'd contribute to some of the themes, but sadly, I don't have that much time right now.

Anyways, keep us attuned to how you're progressing!

Beowulf - who will definitely check out the recordings once they're completed.

Thanks for the encouragement. And I'd like to thank the people who wrote to me and offered their help ;)

So far I received several scans of sheet music and two piano mp3s, and I expect a CD with five piano tracks in the mail tomorrow. Then there are the three piano tracks that are due by the end of February - so I think I can open an new download section on my website pretty soon.

Keep 'em coming...

I just listened to those, they're great! I would love to hear more; is someone going to play Fawkes the Phoenix? That would sound really nice (btw, I like how that theme opens your site).

PBL- I'm very excited about that offical JW piano CD. Please, keep us posted!

Ray Barnsbury

Wow, I think that`s a great Project and I´m very proud to be a part of it :) !

I promise that better qualty recordings of my Star Wars Fanfare and Call of the Champions will follow soon.

Again:

Great Thanks to Mahawa!!

PS: (I really love the other Performances)

Dr. Jones, why don't you record Across the Stars? I remember you told us how you played it at your school and everyone was in silent awe. I would love to hear it.

Ray Barnsbury

I will Ray!

And a lot more:

Welcome to Jurassic Park

Harry Potter Medley (including Fawkes the Phoenix)

March of Midway

Theme of Jaws

Leaving Ingrid (Seven Years in Tibet)

The Raiders of the lost Ark - End Credits

Maybe:

March of 1941

Indiana Jones Themes

A Big Beautiful Ball

Cantina Band

I will Ray!

And a lot more:

Welcome to Jurassic Park

Harry Potter Medley (including Fawkes the Phoenix)

March of Midway

Theme of Jaws

Leaving Ingrid (Seven Years in Tibet)

The Raiders of the lost Ark - End Credits

Maybe:

March of 1941

Indiana Jones Themes

A Big Beautiful Ball

Cantina Band

God bless you!!!!!

Ray Barnsbury-making an emphatic, not religious, statement :devil:

Hey Mahawa, is there going to be a non-demo version of Fawkes the Phoenix eventually? I absolutely LOVED what I heard on your site, but then it faded out.

Again, I have to commend you and all who are playing the solos on a job well done. This is really a great project; hearing the themes on piano is like hearing them for the first time all over again. Thanks for taking this on!

Ray Barnsbury

Hey Mahawa, is there going to be a non-demo version of Fawkes the Phoenix eventually?  

Hi. Yes, there'll be a full version as soon as I get around to recording one. I just didn't have time to record the whole piece accurately... Give me a few more days :devil:

Cheers,

Oliver

Oh Jesus! This is all so amazing! I first heard the viola solos some year ago and was enthralled and wished someone would make it available on CD, and these new additions only resurrected the initial craving. This's been growing into fabulousness. During this year of no Williams score to look for, I no longer need to worry about being left unentertained. This is just as thrilling thing to come across, equal to new JW's scoring feat. You guys who participate on playing/recording the instrument solos deserve to be cosseted by us who can't play a tune on any instrument. John Williams should hear it! Someone give maestro an echo!!!!!!!

Encore!

(P.S. - aren't the piano solos on Sabrina by Williams, too? I don't have the booklet here with me to reveal it for me, but I vaguely remember it was mentioned somewhere, as that they are performed by JW, or aren't? Don't know...)

Here we go again...

Oliver just recorded a wonderful piano rendition of "Hedwig's Theme". And then he did something very special - he mixed Katrin's viola solo and his piano solo to create a hauntingly beautiful version of "Fawkes the Phoenix".

Both tracks can be downloaded at my website.

Thank you, Oliver!

Does anyone know if that's John Williams playing the piano during any of the renditions of Monica's Theme on the A.I. CD?

CYPHER

There is one recording where John Williams' piano playing is actually credited on the cover:

Keisuke Wakao

THE DAYS BETWEEN

? Keisuke Wakao, oboe

? The Borromeo String Quartet

- Nicholas Kitchen, violin

- Ruggero Allifranchini, violin

- Hsin-Yun Huang, viola

- Yeesun Kim, cello

? John Williams, piano

Recorded March 1999

at The Colburn School of Performing Arts, Los Angeles, CA

Williams dedicated this rendition to Wakao. If you want to listen to it, you know where to go...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a concert pianist / lawyer (weird combination, I know). This project of recording John Williams piano works seems like a nice initiative. Just wanted to post and say that I'd be happy to help if there's some piece that you'd like to see recorded but which hasn't been recorded for some reason, e.g. technical difficulty. I own the John Williams anthology. That's a bit different than the greatest hits book but nevertheless it has rather many nice pieces. The pieces already recorded are very good and i'd like to commend you on a great job.

Regards,

EH

Hi there!

It would be great if I could add your contribution to the "piano project". Please write to me at Markus.Hable@t-online.de