James Horner - The Amazing Spider-man

Jay

The love theme is easily the least memorable part of the Amazing Spider-man score to me. Wait, does The Lizard even have a theme?

I actually liked the love theme. Its not as big and memorable as Horner's past romantic ideas, but I really liked how it plays out in the score.

And no, Lizard doesn't seem to have a significant theme (based on first listen), but we ought to be grateful that Horner didn't rip out the danger motif as his theme instead. dadada DAAA!

OH MY GOD! Jason LeBlanc is James Horner!

I knew it! They said I was crazy!! But I was right!!! Look!! See?!? I'm not crazy! LeBlanc is Horner I tell you!

Horner's use of voices in The Amazing Spiderman is another interesting element, a bit more unorthodox than regular cooing choirs, those nearly chanting, grunting male voices, the distant almost Avatar styled cries in the main titles and child soprano are something I didn't quite expect to encounter in a Spiderman score but they work surprisingly well as another shading and colour in the palette of the score.

The more intimate moments are lovely as well with genuine emotion and warmth, the Rooftop Kiss a prime example of this.

Strange... I thought this score has one of the most unmemorable love themes I've ever heard!

Actually I never said the intimate music was thematically memorable, just genuinely warm. And Horner usually focuses on the main theme in his scores anyway. I seem to remember him saying that he feels that too many themes bog the score down and confuse the audience. Horner also did eschew a villain theme in Avatar (aside from the danger motif signalling death).They obviously wanted to really to emphasize the Spiderman theme in the score which does not mean that I would not have wanted to hear a memorable Love theme and a good Villain theme in there since modern scores could do with a bit more of both.

Anyway I think it will take a few more listens to spot everything thematically.

I seem to remember him saying that he feels that too many themes bog the score down and confuse the audience.

Definitely. When a composer pens multiple themes for the same film, he dilutes the communicative power and clarity of his music. Goldsmith understood the zero-sum relationship of thematic ideas within an individual score; Williams's most serious flaw as a film composer is that he does not.

And yet, ironically, his albums sell like no other composer's.

Not that it has anything to do with your point. ;)

Karol

Ironically his albums sell like no other composer's in a very limited circle of fans.

Especially if we talk about 3000 CD's.

Williams is a better showman, Goldsmith was, i think, better at capturing the inner workings of the film's plot.

To stay on topic, Horner's approach is often more akin to JG's single-theme plus different motifs approach but while JG mostly modelled his motifs and rhythms on his main tune, Horner often does not.

In SPIDERMAN, unfortunately, most of the action music not offering the main theme is just the same loud and obnoxious drivel we get in most of these films. Horner must have done this really with a chip on his shoulder.

And yet, ironically, his albums sell like no other composer's.

Karol

Ironically his albums sell like no other composer's in a very limited circle of fans.

I like eating strawberries.

Strawberries suck. Especially spanish ones.

The way this thread derailed is amazing. No on second thought it is amazing it has not derailed sooner.

In SPIDERMAN, unfortunately, most of the action music not offering the main theme is just the same loud and obnoxious drivel we get in most of these films. Horner must have done this really with a chip on his shoulder.

There is a bit of that, but I noticed that in, for example, Oscorp Tower, take away that 'clicking' going on in the foreground and it's solid orchestral work underneath.

Is that the kind of music you initially wanted to hear more of when you became a film music fan?

In SPIDERMAN we get large doses of awe-and-wonder piano á la BEAUTIFUL MIND (and you know what 'á la' means when talking about Horner), some pleasing renditions of a big horn theme for the hero which is good and well, lots of padding and action music without much replay value. Some cues are nice but as an album, it's very mundane.

I can't hear any A Beautiful Mind in there, sorry. I know what you mean but that doesn't count - not close enough. But... there is a lot of Bicentennial Man and Deep Impact in A Beautiful Mind.

Karol

A Beautiful Mind is in there, but there are no direct quotes of anything as former Horner scores have done.

That's what I mean. In my book "this-and-this score is in there" means direct lifts. A general approach/intrumentation doesn't count. Every single composer does that.

Karol

And ended up with half of his score populated by BEAUTIFUL MIND-leftovers? American PhD's don't account for much, then.

That's style not leftovers.

That's what I mean. In my book "this-and-this score is in there" means direct lifts. A general approach/intrumentation doesn't count. Every single composer does that.

Karol

Oh I agree, I'm quite pleased with this score in terms of originality.

And ended up with half of his score populated by BEAUTIFUL MIND-leftovers? American PhD's don't account for much, then.

Who cares what label you attach to it, it's hugely familiar and, IMHO, boring.

Who cares what label you attach to it, it's hugely familiar and, IMHO, boring.

Well, seeing as your comments on scores discussed in this forum generally tend to be most bitter and negative, that's not saying much about the score.

Probably a compliment to Horner.

'Bitter' and 'negative' are the poor man's semantic weapon against opinions contrary to their own.

Well in general I think of you as the stone balancing our (at times perhaps too) positive attitude in the scale of JWFan.

You mean the 'positive attitude' always bursting out in pagelong rants about Hans Zimmer? Or the anal bitching about missing seconds of suspense music from overlong complete releases?

When it comes to bitching and moaning, i still can learn a lot from some posters here...

You mean the 'positive attitude' always bursting out in pagelong rants about Hans Zimmer? Or the anal bitching about missing seconds of suspense music from overlong complete releases?

When it comes to bitching and moaning, i still can learn a lot from some posters here...

You make a good point. :)

I am willing to teach you.

I bet.

I thought you specialized in shouty clowning, not moaning/whining.

So did i. But James Horner's special talent, apart from his writing, seems to be to elicit extreme reactions.

Deconstructing Goldsmith was one of the more incisive venues during the heyday of film music review sites. I for one appreciate receiving a small slice of that here.