Star Wars: A Musical Anthology (2012)

TownerFan

It appears a new release of sorts is coming:

http://www.amazon.de...37933025&sr=1-1

I also found this page from Sony Japan:

http://www.sonymusic...ecial/starwars/

UPDATE: Looks like this is a compilation, with a new DSD remaster. Here's the description from cdjapan.co.jp:

World's first official greatest hits album of Star Wars conducted by John Williams. Features 2012 DSD remastering and the high-fidelity Blu-spec CD format (compatible with standard CD players).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sony Japan says it comes out 18th of July. The CD seems to contain 20 tracks.

http://www.sonymusic...ociate=sw120420

Can anyone who knows Japanese enlighten us to the contents of this CD? Just another cashing in on SW compilation or something else?

:sleepy: it's likely the DVD that was included with the RotS soundtrack, but in c.d. form

You guys still hope that money grubbing, cheap ass Sony label will release the complete scores?

We have time to get the complete scores from The Old Republic 5 before that happens

Doh! Oh well another compilation of existing material, concert suites and highlights.

Oh yes the elusive Picking Pockets surfaces again. Like a ghost from the past. Very recent past.

I want to let this thread die, but I couldn't resist.

What a waste of a release. This could have at least contained unreleased tracks. That said, we'll move onto criticizing things we could have forgiven if the content wasn't so terrible. The cover art is atrocious. Whenever they mix OT and PT stuff together, it never looks right. See: this cover.

I actually kinda like the cover. Artistically speaking it isn't great by any standards, but it's cool to see all the characters from the saga on one poster.

It's a pretty awful release if the only thing commented is the cover.

Well how many bazillion SW compilations are out there and then Sony decides that the world could do with one more for easy cash. Obviously it would be too much effort to create something worthwhile to celebrate Star Wars' and John Williams' birthdays properly. It's not like they have resources to pull off something big, right?

All bitterness and irony aside, I really think, that the OT-Stuff could have better sound than the RCA Versions + Re-Issues.

The tracklist is, if I am not mistaken, the content of the Musical Journey DVD, on which the TESB and theROTJ stuff sounded fantastic..!

So who knows, maybe there is a connection between the DVD Audio Master and this release...

All bitterness and irony aside, I really think, that the OT-Stuff could have better sound than the RCA Versions + Re-Issues.

The tracklist is, if I am not mistaken, the content of the Musical Journey DVD, on which the TESB and theROTJ stuff sounded fantastic..!

So who knows, maybe there is a connection between the DVD Audio Master and this release...

Will you be buying this if it ends up being so?

The music execs at Sony's Dark Tower are having a massive laugh at the moment, giving high fives to each other and congratulating themselves for another succesful cashing in operation. How many times have they made us buy the same stuff over and over again?

But that's how the market works and the world turns.

:lol:

Spot on BloodBoal! Spot on! :thumbup:

It's uncanny how you succeeded in capturing my exact mental image.

I picture Los Angeles to be full of Dark Towers of different companies like that. But the weather is sunnier than in that picture. Or so they want us to believe.

I wish Sony would get up off their asses and let La-La Land and Mike Matessino come in, do a proper remastering of the Original Trilogy scores as well as the Star Wars Prequels and let La-La Land release them as an unlimited release. Even have the Star Wars Prequels their INTENDED editions, not isolated scores with a shit load of crappy edits.

I know MV has said he'd love to have a chance at doing that. Matessino even told me if he had the opportunity to give the Original Trilogy scores the proper remastering job they needed he'd jump all over that.

Sony use to be like Paramount, until they (Paramount) got a new exec in the soundtrack department. Sony needs to realize they're sitting on gold mines and they need to get their thumbs out of their asses.

BTW regarding the possible "Ultimate Edition" for AOTC here's what Matessino told me about it via email.

There was absolutely no work done on an "Ultimate Edition" AOTC. I had proposed it and warned that it needed to be done correctly but ultimately it was killed when I was shown the sales figures... the TMP UE sold 10% of what the OST did. And I was told point blank that an action figure of a background character makes the company more money. It never got any further than that.

Now grant a lot of the material from TFU 1 and 2 as well as TOR for AOTC the edits were the film versions but the game editors were probably working with the music only portion from the film stems instead of the sessions like with ROTS.

Sony use to be like Paramount, until they (Paramount) got a new exec in the soundtrack department. Sony needs to realize they're sitting on gold mines and they need to get their thumbs out of their asses.

It's a bit different. Sony isn't the studio who owns the music rights, it's just the record company who got the license to release the music. LucasFilm is the right-owner and it's up to them to decide what to do with it.

So this is how Sony "designs" their album covers? By stealing them from Roald and other fans. For shame!

Sorry I'm so late to this thread:

The music execs at Sony's Dark Tower are having a massive laugh at the moment, giving high fives to each other and congratulating themselves for another succesful cashing in operation.

sdarktower.jpg

LOLOL!!! ROTFLMAO

Yeah, it's LLL that steal fan art.

What?

Jason, do you know if this will be released in US & EU? It appears a Japan-only release. From what I understand, the Blu-spec CD format has been released only in Japan so far.

Jason, do you know if this will be released in US & EU? It appears a Japan-only release. From what I understand, the Blu-spec CD format has been released only in Japan so far.

My contact at Sony Classical has confirmed that this CD is ONLY coming out in Japan.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...