The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kendal_Ozzel

I don't call it "dud", I call it a challenge. And in my opinion, Lee made an interesting comic book movie, one for adults.

It really isn't. Let me phrase it differently: having Shymalayan doing his own take on comic book movies with UNBREAKABLE is a good thing (even if it just was for the money landslide from SIXTH SENSE), having Lee doing a movie with nagging questions about human nature AND mutated poodles is decidedly less of a good thing. It's a compromise and not a very successful one and that's not only due to teenaged louts and brutes booing the picture. I'd rather have a craftsman like, say, Richard Donner doing such a picture than a more cerebral artist like Lee who doesn't really know or want to stage the action. And without the adrenaline you don't really have a HULK movie.

Is Lee's the one with Norton or Bana? I recall enjoying the former. Whichever one had the Elfman score.

Bana, naturally.

I don't call it "dud", I call it a challenge. And in my opinion, Lee made an interesting comic book movie, one for adults.

It really isn't. Let me phrase it differently: having Shymalayan doing his own take on comic book movies with UNBREAKABLE is a good thing (even if it just was for the money landslide from SIXTH SENSE), having Lee doing a movie with nagging questions about human nature AND mutated poodles is decidedly less of a good thing. It's a compromise and not a very successful one and that's not only due to teenaged louts and brutes booing the picture. I'd rather have a craftsman like, say, Richard Donner doing such a picture than a more cerebral artist like Lee who doesn't really know or want to stage the action. And without the adrenaline you don't really have a HULK movie.

It may not be a Hulk movie that people (including you) expected but Lee turned it into a Hulk movie that he wanted to see. The angle he used, the emotion that he gave the movie are things that worked for me. It's one of the few comic book movies where I got the feeling that there's more to it than meets the eye and it dealt with psychological themes that go over the head of the average 14-year-old. You make it sound as if your opinion is consensus. It's not. It's only the consensus of the class room.

It may not be a Hulk movie that people (including you) expected but Lee turned it into a Hulk movie that he wanted to see. The angle he used, the emotion that he gave the movie are things that worked for me. It's one of the few comic book movies where I got the feeling that there's more to it than meets the eye and it dealt with psychological themes that go over the head of the average 14-year-old. You make it sound as if your opinion is consensus. It's not. It's only the consensus of the class room.

A 150-million Dollar movie shouldn't be made for the dubious reason that only Ang Lee and Alex Cremers are going to like it.

Ang Lee, Alexcremers, Ted Pigeon, Romao, Steef, ...

Hulk's budget was $137 million and it made $245 million worldwide. Sure, it could've been more I always seem to have a soft spot for movies that aren't for everyone.

I think you are confusing the Norton and Bana version.

Joey hates Hulk almost as much as he hates Blade Runner or Watchmen. He thinks they are bad pieces of entertainment, and from his point of view, he's right. That doesn't mean they are bad movies.

Alex

I like Hulk too. But that isn't the type of movie Marvel is making here. Just pick up any copy of Avengers comic to see what it's about. All those over the top in final acts originate from tgat. All tgose big heroic splah oages with everything happening at once.

Karol

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not expecting Avengers to be like Lee's Hulk. I'm merely saying that I like Hulk and that most others don't, so don't read too much into my review.

That said I went in expecting just a whole lot of fun and the movie just didn't deliver that for me.

And I see the mere mention of Lee's Hulk has fired up some heated debate. Always nice to see a movie do that 10 years after its release. Most think TDK was the first serious comic book movie but Hulk did it a few years earlier, and probably did it better too.

I'm not a fan of TDK these days, even though I really enjoyed it when I saw it at the cinema. I was 16. By the time the next one was released I didn't really care anymore.

My favourite Batman is probably Batman Returns, but oh boy it does have an odd pace.

Prometheus is almost on the same level of badness as the Prequels. Though not quite because Scott, even when he doesnt seem to give a shit, is a better director then the modern day Lucas.

I felt the film was well directed, but poorly and confusingly written.

Scott can direct those things in his sleep, his ability to do that shouldn't be question. All his films (most?) are well directed. It's the content I'm worried about.

Karol

I saw Prometheus before I ever saw any of the Alien movies (I've since seen the first two of them) and loved it. Maybe the first Ridley Scott movie since Gladiator that I enjoyed. :flush:

Scott can direct those things in his sleep, his ability to do that shouldn't be question. All his films (most?) are well directed. It's the content I'm worried about.

Karol

Does "well directed" include caring about the script being good, like his cinematography and special effects?

Prometheus is almost on the same level of badness as the Prequels. Though not quite because Scott, even when he doesnt seem to give a shit, is a better director then the modern day Lucas.

I felt the film was well directed, but poorly and confusingly written.

Agreed.