Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

We haven't heard a peep about the scoring process and how the split of 2 films into 3 affected the writing and recording sessions. Might indeed be that these new recording sessions could be because of that. Or just large/small tweaks before the finish line.

-The two youtube videos on the top of this page (for Brass Buttons and Dreaming Of Bad End) - were they jsut samples or the entire tracks? The videos are removed now

they are one minute samples.

removed? they work fine for me.

I wouldn't say Bilbo's theme is the main theme, just like I wouldn't say the Shire theme is the main theme of LOTR. I think we heard a glimpse of the "main theme" after the orchestral statement of the Misty Mountains melody. That trumpet line is heard often in the samples and is an original Shore theme.

I would call it the "main theme" just like I call the Ring theme the "main theme" of LOTR, playing over the title. I hope.

I'd label the Ring theme as the title theme of LOTR as well, but I have a feeling it won't be Bilbo's theme playing over the titles for this new trilogy.

I think it's either a Bilbo motif or an Erebor motif !

The two youtube videos on the top of this page (for Brass Buttons and Dreaming Of Bad End) - were they jsut samples or the entire tracks? The videos are removed now

They were just the 1 min samples from qobuz

I wouldn't say Bilbo's theme is the main theme, just like I wouldn't say the Shire theme is the main theme of LOTR. I think we heard a glimpse of the "main theme" after the orchestral statement of the Misty Mountains melody. That trumpet line is heard often in the samples and is an original Shore theme.

I would call it the "main theme" just like I call the Ring theme the "main theme" of LOTR, playing over the title. I hope.

I'd label the Ring theme as the title theme of LOTR as well, but I have a feeling it won't be Bilbo's theme playing over the titles for this new trilogy.

I think it's either a Bilbo motif or an Erebor motif !

I vote Erebor (maybe that adventure theme we heard in the Erebor cue).

I wait for Doug Adams the Supreme Interpreter of Middle Earth scores to explain this stuff before making any assumptions on it. :P

Ah, OK.

The thing is, if they work the same way they did with LOTR, Shore probably won't be working on the EE until mid-2013 at the very least.

Didn't you read Doug's book? The FOTR:EE music was recorded in February of 2002

Yes if the films come out a year apart, I think the EE scoring schedule will be as usual (if there will be EEs for these films that is). Shore usually starts his work at the start of the year but I think he never actually stops writing during the production. He was writing all the time during LotR as well.

I like the voice of the guy and I think Shore could have come up with something very appropiate and atmospheric.

I think if I heard that song as made by a random band who picked a Tolkien thing because of whatever reason I would find it cool. But right now, as an actual part of a Hobbit film, it feels like the odd one out.

And to think this song is one of the extended tracks on the Special Edition. Almost 2 minutes longer if I remember correctly.

Bah, DownloadHelper can't grab it.

BTW, the standard OST is currently down to $14.55 on Amazon: LINK

And the Special Edition OST is now down to $20.04! LINK

Still can't beat the Barnes&Noble prices of 12.62 $ and 18.04 $ I mentioned on the previous page. But I am guessing they'll may drop the price yet on Amazon.

Oh yea, Amazon is guaranteed to come down to those prices soon for sure. Plus their free shipping already makes it a better deal for now (for prime members or if you were bundling with something else)

inky, do you still have your cdon order or have you cancelled it?

I cancelled at CDON and ordered from a local CD store chain here in Finland, who will most likely have it on the release date so I don't have to wait the extra time with the shipping. And the price is around 25€ for the Special Edition, which is ok in my book. :)

Ah, OK.

The thing is, if they work the same way they did with LOTR, Shore probably won't be working on the EE until mid-2013 at the very least.

Didn't you read Doug's book? The FOTR:EE music was recorded in February of 2002

Yes, yes I did, but I don't remember every little detail! Please stop acting like a cocky dick!

Didn't you know this? Oh, my! I can't believe how ignorant some people are!

You do it all the time Messenger! :P

You know, I just realized another thing I don't like about the end credits song. It repeats lyrics and melody that were already sung by characters on screen prior. I know other films have done stuff like that but not LOTR films. I would have preferred a song more abstractly related to the films like the LOTR songs.

Listening to the song in full has increased my opinion of it somewhat, but only as a song on its own. As a LOTR/Hobbit song I don't like it at all.

I don't hate the song, but then again I don't like it either.

It always feels strange to me when someone sings a theme used in the score as well. That's why I always thought every single Horner song is bad. Don't know why, but it always feels strange to me.

Karol

This song has oddly grown on me, although the anvils and male chorus bits were a bit annoying. It feels very... 70s? Almost as if it belongs in the animated film from the 70s... LOL.

Woah... I just saw that BloodBoal had posted this find in the Hobbit thread, but didn't see much responses to it, so thought it belonged better here. But it's the TRAILER MUSIC!!! The only problem with it is audio dips for the dialogue in the trailer, but I'm sure it can be easily fixed. :)

LINK!

It always feels strange to me when someone sings a theme used in the score as well. That's why I always thought every single Horner song is bad. Don't know why, but it always feels strange to me.

Karol

b... but... "I see you" is so perfect :(

Neil Finn is one of my favorite songwriters/singers. If you grew up in Australia or NZ in the 80s and 90s , then you grew up with his music via Split Enz and later Crowded House. Amazing musician.

I liked the song, I always expected to, so perhaps I'm biased. But I had no doubts he'd produce something fitting and Middle-earthy.

So since it's based on a song sung in the film, it's therefore a Howard Shore melody, right?

you and bloodboal should start a pact :)

I see you wakes up my murderer instincts. Or most things Avatar related for that matter. EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

As for songs that share a theme with the score:

Okay, that might be cheating.

But :crymore:

So, Listen to the Wind = good, I see you=EVIL.

you and bloodboal should start a pact :)

I see you wakes up my murderer instincts. Or most things Avatar related for that matter.

So, Listen to the Wind = good, I see you=EVIL.

(Y)

As for songs that share a theme with the score:

Okay, that might be cheating.

But :crymore:

It's not cheating! I remember how this song touched me when I heard it. It used to be my favourite of the trilogy (now it's Gollum's Song).

Neil Finn is one of my favorite songwriters/singers. If you grew up in Australia or NZ in the 80s and 90s , then you grew up with his music via Split Enz and later Crowded House. Amazing musician.

I liked the song, I always expected to, so perhaps I'm biased. But I had no doubts he'd produce something fitting and Middle-earthy.

So since it's based on a song sung in the film, it's therefore a Howard Shore melody, right?

It's not a Shore melody. The Misty Mountains melody was composed by Plan 9.

Of course I find out about this after I leave the house! And I won't be home again till late tonight after Skyfall! Dammit!