Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

1082026877_2h9fu-M.jpg

cormorants fly

As well as diving ducks, coots, grebes, gannets, aucks, guillemots, puffins ....

And if we speak of swimming on the surface of water you can add surface ducks, geese, gulls, pelicans...

Even the little bird in radagast's hair (kingfisher) can dive a little to catch fish.

The word.. Powned comes to mind bloodboal...

BREAKING NEWS! We are not getting the complete score with the Special Edition! Shore is still recording music for An Unexpected Journey! Picking Pockets situation at the horizon!

Great singing again from @LDNVoices this evening for #TheHobbit. Now get your skates on, producers, as the film is out in 3 weeks!

https://twitter.com/...410327610732545

Back in #AbbeyRoad this evening for more #Hobbit music. Film's out in 2 weeks!

https://twitter.com/...257608493232128

Except the film's not out in 2 or even 3 weeks...

However... *facepalm*. I knew it... Amazon once again screws up the simplest soundtrack description.

Maybe Doug can clarify what these additional sessions are for.

BREAKING NEWS! We are not getting the complete score with the Special Edition! Shore is still recording music for An Unexpected Journey! Picking Pockets situation at the horizon!

Great singing again from @LDNVoices this evening for #TheHobbit. Now get your skates on, producers, as the film is out in 3 weeks!

However... *facepalm*. I knew it... Amazon once again screws up the simplest soundtrack description.

Maybe Doug can clarify what these additional sessions are for.

I would not blame Amazon for anything but rather the info they were sent. And we all knew this was possible, even likely with PJs last minute post production schedules.

The things you find in the internet. :lol:

How long did it take you to google that up BB?

OK. More worrying about the missing music, less talk of the birds and their feces.

The Brass Buttons sounds indeed like a brilliant action piece Alice, well worth going bananas over. :)

And the Dreaming of Bag End seems to have a beautiful continuation of the same whole step progression of the Shire material, yet another new idea derived from the basic form of the original theme from LotR. Gotta to love Shore's dedication and intricacy of his approach. :)

I told you all it wasn't complete! You all thought I was crazy, but I was right all along!!! Whose crazy now?!?!??!?!?

theshinning.jpg

I told you all it wasn't complete! You all thought I was crazy, but I was right all along!!! Whose crazy now?!?!??!?!?

So you revel in being right in this case? Shame on you! For shame you dark prophet. Lathspell I name you!

The Brass Buttons sounds indeed like a brilliant action piece Alice, well worth going bananas over. :)

It sounds bloody brilliant! Most of the action here does. It's why I really believe Shore stepped up his game in that department!

And the Dreaming of Bag End seems to have a beautiful continuation of the same whole step progression of the Shire material, yet another new idea derived from the basic form of the original theme from LotR. Gotta to love Shore's dedication and intricacy of his approach. :)

The new idea actually showed up in the trailer and I'm 99% its Bilbo's theme. It's a charming idea rooted in the Shire progressions.

Of course you were right all along. The film wasn't finished.

Most people didn't look at it that way (probably because some thought the recording sessions were over). People kept going on about how this is as complete as it'll ever get, and that there'll be nothing left for a CR set.

So you revel in being right in this case? Shame on you! For shame you dark prophet. Lathspell I name you!

Be silent. Keep thine forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through doubt and insanity to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!

Yeah, we heard the "main theme", in the trailer, but we focused on the wrong one lol

I wouldn't say Bilbo's theme is the main theme, just like I wouldn't say the Shire theme is the main theme of LOTR. I think we heard a glimpse of the "main theme" after the orchestral statement of the Misty Mountains melody. That trumpet line is heard often in the samples and is an original Shore theme.

Of course you were right all along. The film wasn't finished.

Most people didn't look at it that way (probably because some thought the recording sessions were over). People kept going on about how this is as complete as it'll ever get, and that there'll be nothing left for a CR set.

Be silent. Keep thine forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through doubt and insanity to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!

When did K.K. the White abandon reason for madness?

I think some of us were optimistic that there would not be much revisions or that those had already been done but as mentioned many times in this thread PJs post production circus usually lasts up until the last minute, which of course might necessitate rewrites or pick ups. And we should remember that pick-up sessions are not uncommon in film music world in general so the Hobbit is not an exception of any kind. It remains to be seen what was changed now and needed choral (and most likely orchestral) revisions. But this means that there is need for CRs in the future, more so if there are going to be extended editions of the films.

And as stinging as the fact that we are not going to get entirely complete score might be, we can still enjoy the 2 hours+ of new Middle Earth music. Think positive! :)

On another note Barnes&Noble seems to have both CDs at bargain price, at the moment even lower than the Amazon.com.

Regular Edition

Special Edition

:music: Caras Galadhon

I wouldn't say Bilbo's theme is the main theme, just like I wouldn't say the Shire theme is the main theme of LOTR. I think we heard a glimpse of the "main theme" after the orchestral statement of the Misty Mountains melody. That trumpet line is heard often in the samples and is an original Shore theme.

I would call it the "main theme" just like I call the Ring theme the "main theme" of LOTR, playing over the title. I hope.

i suppose they meant the film's deadline, since you know, they have to print the copies and distribute all of them throughout the world, finish dubbing them etc....

It seemd very fishy to me from the beginning that the OST was supposed to have the complete score as heard in the film. That would be a first for a Middle-Earth film, to have the score finished more than a month before deadline.

Ah, gotchya. That would make sense. What doesn't make sense is that, since they are STILL recording music for the film, why didn't they wait til the recording was done before making the CDs? If they were really trying to go for a Complete Recordings-type release for the Special Edition (and given the extent of the liner notes, apparently, it's easy to see they were), you would think maybe they could have just put the release date of the soundtrack maybe a month or so later in order to include as much as they could or wanted to, in order to have time to manufacture discs. Or, perhaps, have the OST come out as scheduled, but put the Special Edition's release like a month later in order to do so. I'm not really complaining, because this release seems terrific in so many ways, but I am just puzzled by decision-making sometimes, heh.

maybe we got the complete score, 1st draft.

then PJ got nervous and asked shore to compose music to unscored scenes and re-write some cues.

i would be happy with that since it would mean we have a complete score of sorts.

Could be right, Luke. That would be still plenty awesome if we did have a complete score of sorts like that, and just missing some re-scored scenes that could later be on a "Rarities"-type disc.

Well yeah, thats exactly what I mean. That was the vibe I got from them wanting to release 2 CDs worth of content to begin with. Especially for BOTH editions. You wouldn't want to do that with at least that mindset in mind. So perhaps when they did make the CDs the score had been completed, but is now having several scenes re-scored, which would of course be beyond the label's control, or anyone else's. I hope that really is the case here, but either way I'm happy and this score just sounds more awesome with each sample I hear!!! :)

I would call it the "main theme" just like I call the Ring theme the "main theme" of LOTR, playing over the title. I hope.

I'd label the Ring theme as the title theme of LOTR as well, but I have a feeling it won't be Bilbo's theme playing over the titles for this new trilogy.

Didn't you hear? The foghorn is Smaug's theme.

And since the trilogy is about Smaug and all, I guess it makes sense to play it over the titles.

Hmmm I'm hoping you are wrong in this case, haha! I would hate to not have the final cues of the film, unless you mean a rewrite of the final cues but have the original version of them in the set we are getting. In which case, I could live with that for a while. ;)

Btw, your signature pic is hilarious and adorable! :D

OK few things

-Just checked out the Amazon samples, great stuff, especially the History Of The RIng Theme stuff in Riddles in the Dark and Brass Buttons. BTW here is a shorter link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3CVFMM/

-I was the one who has constantly been saying that the OST CD was definitely locked before the recording sessions were finished, and that pJ could still request revised cues at any time!

- I can't believe we almost have 45 minutes of the CD now between all the samples. It can't be long before this thing leaks with WaterTower seemingly sending the entire CD to every website imaginable

-The two youtube videos on the top of this page (for Brass Buttons and Dreaming Of Bad End) - were they jsut samples or the entire tracks? The videos are removed now

-I was the one who has constantly been saying that the OST CD was definitely locked before the recording sessions were finished, and that pJ could still request revised cues at any time!

Well the recording sessions themselves might have finished on time but that did not mean that there would be no pick-ups. I think the session were hardly continously going on from August until this or coming weeks. Or who knows, maybe they were. But yes you were right about the good and probable chance of revisions. But I bet you don't like to be right in this case. ;)

A film music fan should always remember the old adage: A pessimist is never going to be disappointed.

The previous links from qobuz do not work anymore for either edition of the soundtrack album.

But Amazon has samples of the regular ost.

Amazon 30 sec. samples are up.

They're different from the 1 min ones posted earlier.