John Williams at Symphony Hall, June 7-12, 2013 (Boston MA)

KingPin

This is actually being conducted by Williams? Damn.

Enjoy, Stefan. It's a long way to go, but well worth it.

John Williams has conducted a concert in Boston every May/June for the past.... 10 years? 15?

I've been to the last 5 of them, at least.

I have no idea why you thought that. He's performed in many different parts of the USA over the last decade. He actually comes to Massachusetts twice a year, Boston in May/June and Tanglewood in August

He hasn't left the USA since 2005 I think, though.

If all goes well, I might be able to go to Tanglewood, and maybe see my first John Williams concert!

They never put the concert program on the website here. I find out what will be played after someone who goes to the Thursday or Friday show posts it here :P

I finally booked my flights last Friday! I'll be happy for sure to meet (again) some of JWFan members on Saturday evening. I'll also be attending the June 11 concert, before flying to Washington the next day, where I'll spend the rest of my vacation.

Awesome, I'll be at the Saturday show for that as well. Hopefully we can meet!

Sounds great! Hopefully things will work out!

I think we're actually going to the Sunday Tanglewood show... I'll have to check. I probably posted which show I got in the Tanglewood thread :)

• 2 weeks later...

So expensive that I had to cancel my trip. :(

Fortunately, they refunded my ticket (except the handling fee), so I got more or less even.

That's a decent price. Would have done something similar if it hadn't been for the fact that I'm old and weary and need my private beauty sleep. :)

I expect pictures and reports once this is all done. Just to cement my envy further.

That's really cheap indeed. I still have to book my accomodation in Boston. It will certainly cost me... a bit more, but I'm looking for something cozy and comfort has a price.

Arent you my age?

You will be provided with pics of the JWfan meet ups and the concerts

Yeah, I'm about your age, I think (I'm 35) -- but I have the body of an 80-year-old at this point (too much booze and unhealthy eating and passivity recently). Plus I've grown so accustomed to having my own hotel room over the years.

Looking forward to pics and stuff.

Indeed. I would love to be able to go for longer then 4 days, book a direct flight of 7 hours instead of 13, stay in a nice hotel so I'll have my own room. But right now I can't, so I have to settle.

But I'm still gonna see JW.

He won't be around forever though

I would definitely have gone if I could have afforded it (and if I didn't have exams around the same time). The Boston accomodation was really just the tip of the iceberg. It was already way too expensive for me in the first place, so this was for the best -- all things considered. I am thankful that I saw Williams at the Bowl last year, however, and I will definitely try the Boston/NY trip again next year. The only two variables are my economy at that time, and if Williams is still doing concerts.

For a trip like this to be worth the while across the Atlantic, it needs a budget of between 15.000-20.000 NOK ($2500-$3500) in total.

That was about the price I paid last year for two weeks in California. And that was 95% a low cost vacation all the way through. In fact, the San Diego accomodation was quite similar to a hostel (crappy room, common bathroom in the hallway). The US is expensive! No doubt, John Williams is a great attraction in himself, but now that I've seen him live once and I travel all the way from Norway, I would need to combine the concert with something else -- e.g. New York, where I've never been. So two weeks, flights (inland and outland), accomodation, events, food and drinks...yeah, $3000 easily fly out the window.

Like for Ubeda in 2007 I am having T-Shirts printed.

These are official JWFan.com shirts (the use of the website name and link approved by Ricard L. Befan)

The design was done by Alicebrallice.

Here is the one I am getting for myself.

JWfanShirt_zpsfc5d40bc.jpg

Other shirt colours are possible, those who are interested can PM me.

Bump!

These concerts are now just ONE MONTH away!

I just quickly skimmed through the 5 pages of the thread and I think these are all the users who have posted that they are attending:

KingPin
Foxfan
JWFangirl1992
dfenton85
Smeltington
Stefancos
Ren
Joe Brausam
rpvee
obiwan71

So exciting! Anybody else going?

Marcy and I would love to have dinner before both the Friday and Saturday concert with any JWFans interested. The dinner last year on Saturday was a big success! I think there was 14 of us at the restaurant.

I am going to try to find a restaurant that is better than Uno Chicago Grill that is still close to Symphony Hall. I mean Uno is fine enough and has a big enough menu everyone can find something they like, but it's not exactly exciting Boston cuisine. I'll come up with something.

I will be there too for all four concerts. I would love to meet you guys, but I am sure that I will be called "silent-boy" since my English is very poor :)

I've been told South Boston is the place to be for great lobster!

I've also been told Boston is not really the place for Cider.....

I will be there too for all four concerts. I would love to meet you guys, but I am sure that I will be called "silent-boy" since my English is very poor :)

I am glad I won't be the only European amid the savages!

Just booked!

4 nights in Hostelling International for 145 Euro's!

I will be in that Hostel too - do you have the private room or the one shared with 3 more people? :)

I think Thor should re-book his flights and join you guys in that hostel and join us all for dinner!

Just booked!

I will be in that Hostel too - do you have the private room or the one shared with 3 more people? :)

I sadly have to share a room with several people.

If we are bunking up....the best bed is mine!

Just booked!

I sadly have to share a room with several people.

If we are bunking up....the best bed is mine!

Request denied :D !

Last time I was in that hostel I had the upper bed and it was absolutely terrible since I had no place to sit in whole hostel :). So I really pray for the lower bed and some normal roommates.

If you snore I am going to kill you in your sleep!

You do not have to be worry! I am quiet like a dead man while I am sleeping, but there will be two more people who should be snoring .. and if they should - they will. :D