Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness

Jay

The scene of the Enterprise in flames as she falls towards the Earth? should enable G to write something good.

I swear I've heard the theme in that sample somewhere else.

I guess this first prologue cues might become unreleased alternates. I just hope this time around we aren't treated with so many edits and excision of parts of the orchestra and chorus (one of the reasons I actually lost interest in the 2009 score is that I could be bothered to put it all together properly and I was still missing things.)

I'm sure it's not the main theme of the score. Why would you even think that?

Have you seen the imax preview? The music posted covers the opening of the preview, which involves a couple in a hospital talking about their child, and then Benedict Cumberbatch shows up and has some ominous dialogue. There is no reason to use the main theme of the score in this scene.

The first thing, musically, to appear of Star Trek 2009 was its main theme, namely "Hella Bar Talk".

Why would it be different here?

And why wouldn't he develop his main theme for the prologue? Not all composer are so obsessed with matching leitmotifs to images.

The first thing, musically, to appear of Star Trek 2009 was its main theme, namely "Hella Bar Talk".

Huh? Hella Bar Talk is a cue from like 30 minutes into the film... it does feature the main theme but it was introduced in many cues prior.

You may be thinking of the opening logos music, which does introduce the main theme - however that cue covers the opening production company, etc logos. The IMAX Preview for Star Trek Into Darkness of course didn't include those logos - it was only a 9 minute preview, why would they waste 1 and a half minutes of it on logos?

And why wouldn't he develop his main theme for the prologue? Not all composer are so obsessed with matching leitmotifs to images.

Huh? I didn't say that he didn't introduce the main theme in the prologue. I said that the youtube video was only the music from the first 3 minutes of hte 9 minute prologue, and the scenes in question would have no reason to blare out a new heroic main theme, because the first 3 minutes of the 9 minute preview covers characters we've never met before and the introduction of the bad guy.

Huh? Hella Bar Talk is a cue from like 30 minutes into the film... it does feature the main theme but it was introduced in many cues prior.

What I meant was, the first thing to surface from the score prior to film release was Hella Bar Talk. So it's conceivable that the first thing to appear from the new film is also the main theme.

No, that makes no sense! Hella Bar Talk officially premiered via the official website on purpose.

This is a bootleg recording that surfaced on youtube illegally by some who ripped it out of an imax preview! There's no connection at all!

Do you still not understand?

You said it doesn't have to be the main theme, and I say the first thing to show from the first score was Hella Bar Talk, a rendition of the title theme, so it could be the main theme in the preview. The IMAX preview is official as far as I can tell.

But whatever.

You said it doesn't have to be the main theme, and I say the first thing to show from the first score was Hella Bar Talk, a rendition of the title theme, so it could be the main theme in the prologue. The IMAX prologue is official as far as I can tell.

But whatever.

Fixed!

The Imax "prologue" is the first five minutes of the film, so its essentially like watching the first 5 minutes, and then shutting off the film.

Does In The Jungle from ROTLA have the main theme?

HBT was a leaked cue for a scene of the movie, later in the movie.

You said it doesn't have to be the main theme, and I say the first thing to show from the first score was Hella Bar Talk, a rendition of the title theme, so it could be the main theme in the preview. The IMAX preview is official as far as I can tell.

But whatever.

I'm gonna have to go with Jason on this one.

Consider for example that Super 8's first officially heard music was the "love theme" not the main theme.

What gkgyver is saying the Hella Bar Talk was the first piece of music that appeared online from the film, as is this music from the prologue, not that its the first music to the film. Its simply the first exposure to the movie's music we've had.

What gkgyver is saying the Hella Bar Talk was the first piece of music that appeared online from the film, as is this music from the prologue, not that its the first music to the film. Its simply the first exposure to the movie's music we've had.

Right, and that's indisputable. What is disputable is whether this will be a main theme of the new film because of that fact.

If you know where to look you can find a certain version of the full iMax preview and at some point the music does go into the main theme. I won't obviously say where...but just as an "food for thought" type deal.

Regarding the clip that I ripped from the IMAX prologue.

It covers only the first few minutes of the prologue, which is a intimate scene.

Then we see an action scene that recalls the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark and the music of Giacchino changes radically, presenting a remarkable action piece.

Following an explosive exposure of main theme that recalls Enterprising Young Men and even more interesting thing, we hear a dramatic and powerful version of the Spock's theme, as never heard in the previous film.

Unfortunately I could not rip these parts of the prologue because the sound effects dominate everything else.

But there is no reason to think that the theme presented in the first minutes of the prologue is the new theme of the film.

• 2 weeks later...
But there is no reason to think that the theme presented in the first minutes of the prologue is the new theme of the film.
Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Into Darkness recording sessions began today!

http://twitter.yfrog.com/072o5pipvkextnxmwglfsyahz

On any site Iwataki is connected to the project, so I'd be curious to know if it is a last minute replacement, or if it will work with Wallin.

This may mean that there is not Dan Wallin??

http://instagram.com/p/WhoSN5FdgE/

I'm still not convinced that the dry sound of most Giacchino scores isn't just the result of his orchestrations and Wallin just makes them sound like he writes them. But if it's really Wallin's fault, then this should be great. Iwataki is one of the best this side of Botnick - his Goldenthal recordings all sound fantastic.

No Wallin? And hopefully they've run out of analog tapes. Since no one produces them anymore.

If all of the above are true this is the greatest news in a while.

What's the problem with analog tapes? There are plenty of analog recordings that sound better than the majority of the Giacchino/Wallin collaborations (I'm fine with The Incredibles and Ratatouille).

Recording digitally allows greater control and flexibility for engineer.

You can make digital sound like analog tape, but you can't do the reverse. So why not record digitally?

The orchestra setup looks much more natural than what I remember seeing of the panel separation infested Wallin Giacchino recordings:

Instagram link

Awesome!

https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/310876275340345344

They have recorded over 100 minutes in 5 days.

One of the reasons so many composers like to work with the LA Union Musicians - they are the best sight readers in the world, and can chug out 100 minutes in 5 days no problem

Hey! His tweet included this Instagram link:

http://instagram.com/p/WsX53AFdgW/

which inclues some slate numbers!

I guess it's official now:Joel Iwataki mixing away

Best confirmation of news this year.

It also means Michael Giacchino has no more excuses.

Yup. Now we can see how much blame lies on Walin, and how much on Giacchino.

I'm very interested in hearing what Giacchino's come up with.