• I'll listen if I have to.
    • I'd rather not listen.
    • I hate their music!
    • Who are the Beatles?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sitting here in bed, the first time on my airport connection, I was torn between options 2 and 3, I opted for 2 as I do have to listen to them when some of me friends put them on......

simply put the greatest band of all time.

but as my friends and I have always thought,

for those that don't like them, that says more about you

than it does about them.

Unlike the boy groups of today, the Beatles were a real band, with real musicians, who played their own instruments.

their popularity was great, but so was their talent. I count myself lucky to have been around during their existance. To listen to them only reminds you just how weak, and bad the most of the bands of today are.

Joe, who has many Beatle albums and cd's.

Err... well they're important. :mrgreen: I don't ever deliberately listen to them though, not that I dislike them. I'm just not interested in their sort of music, pretty much the only band music I am interested in is metal. I respect the beatles for innovations they made.

Joe, I completely agree with you. I love the album 1. From beginning to end, you can sort of hear the evolution of their musical style. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is also, in my opinion, one of the best albums I've ever heard.

- Marc, who voted for option 1 of course!

:mrgreen: Jurassic Park DVD in background

They're very good, so I guess the closest match in the available poll options for me is "I love them", though that's a bit too much. Still, they were not the greatest Band ever....because they were not The Rolling Stones. :mrgreen:

Marian - who doesn't have enough Beatles CDs.

I respect them as a band because they do play their own music, but so does the BSO and London Symphony (not their own music, but they play, harder music, I might add). I do not ever want to hear their music. I am very opposed to the hippie and British Invasion movement and all that it encurred. I am not a fan of anything that is rock or rock and roll. I am a much more classical and orchestral guy. The only time I can really stand British rock is when it's played the the LSO, or some other orchestra.

~Conor

listening to Guns n Roses can be fun every once and a while....

I completely agree Joe, I wish more contemporary bands actually had the musicianship of bands like the beatles.

I respect them as a band because they do play their own music, but so does the BSO and London Symphony (not their own music, but they play, harder music, I might add).  I do not ever want to hear their music.  I am very opposed to the hippie and British Invasion movement and all that it encurred.  I am not a fan of anything that is rock or rock and roll.  I am a much more classical and orchestral guy.  The only time I can really stand British rock is when it's played the the LSO, or some other orchestra.

~Conor

I don't think you're heard enough of their music... specifically Sgt Pepper. "She's Leaving Home" is a fantastic song but I would hardly call it 'Rock' same with songs such as "Blue Jay Way" "Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite" "Fool On The Hill" These songs are fantastic album tracks that you will never hear on the radio.

Although Classical/Film Score is my favorite type of music, I enjoy rock a great deal. The Beatles are simply the greatest band of all time. While they have so many great "Rock" hits, their more 'obscure' songs are really cutting edge and experimental. The White album is a tribute to their range as songwriters and musicians.

Greatest band ever.

I love their music, listen to it when I'm in the mood, their compilation CD "One" is EXCELLENT. Has almost all of their best stuff.

I love'em. The world of rock music owes quite a bit to them, if not everything.

I LOVE the Beatles! I think that they are exactly what a boy band should be like; they write a shit load of song (some very stupid but some with the most beautiful lyrics ever) and have some very good melodies... Vive Paul MacCartney et John Lennon! The best thing about them is they didn't care about their reputation and didn'T even have money... They even stopped doing show because people screamed and yelled so much noone heard the words and it insulted them. I like that!

I know a very good british group which I saw in concert two weeks ago: Catabile! they were incredible and sooooo funny! I never thought it was possible to sing in harmony like that...

I'm not opposed to their music. I'm just not a fan.

I am very appreciative of the impact they had on our music today. The songs are quite infectious, but I don't own any of their music, nor do I find myself renting their concert films.

Jeff -- not the biggest pop music fan

INCREDIBLY OVERRATED IMO!!!

Far better bands out there. They've got a large following, but so does N'Sync.

Edit: OH yeah and let me clarify that last statement. I am NOT equating one band with the other I am just saying popularity does not always equal quality.

I respect them as a band because they do play their own music, but so does the BSO and London Symphony (not their own music, but they play, harder music, I might add).  I do not ever want to hear their music.  I am very opposed to the hippie and British Invasion movement and all that it encurred.  I am not a fan of anything that is rock or rock and roll.  I am a much more classical and orchestral guy.  The only time I can really stand British rock is when it's played the the LSO, or some other orchestra.

~Conor

Sorry Conor, but you comments show you know little of what you are talking about. First of all the British Invasion was good for music, and still goes on, the hippie movement is so before your time. The Beatles when they arrived weren't Hippies, they were young men in their 20's who wrote and played their own music. They may have become hippies, but they didn't start the hippie movement, thats something almost purely American. You say that the music of the BSO and LSO is harder, thats debatable. As far as the music you call British rock, you are really being narrow minded(something I have been accused of, but hell I am 42, your 16).

So why do you hate the Beatles, you haven't told us why. Give us points of reason. Try to validate it for us.

I'm not good at explaining, but I don't like the feeling of their music, and I don't like the instrumentation, the singing, or the style. I don't blame the Beatles for the hippie movement, I simply think of them as the same time period and the music to be similar. I don't like either of the two, to be frank. I dislike the style, the lyrics (especially the lyrics). They are either incomprehensible, pointless, jibberish, or I disagree with what they say (they talk of drugs and communism, mostly). I much prefer classical and orchestral. And I think that classical and movie scores are much more technically difficult. There are many more musical techinques involved with orchestras than with rock groups, maybe just due to the immense volume of works an orchestra has to pick from.

~Conor

My appreciation for the Beatles is nowhere near that for John Williams and film/orchestral music, but I really like a lot of their music. Some is just weird, but when it's good (which is usually), it's very good. I can thank my dad for this, as he was a teen during their popularity and still has countless Beatles records. I do respect your opinions on this, Conor; you present very good support and explantions for why you don't like them. I appreciate that. :P

Ray Barnsbury

Thank you. I did not think that I made a good argument, but if you can understand it, then I guess I made a decent argument. I also respect and appreciate your opinion of them. I respect the Beatles for doing what they love and touching so many people.

~Conor

I personally love The Beatles music, always have since I was about 9 years old. Magical Mystery Tour is pretty strange though. Several people I work with don't get into them but I respect their opinions as I do everyone's here on this board. Great thread!

Long live J.W. :P

I don't like the feeling of their music' date=' and I don't like the instrumentation, the singing, or the style.[/quote']

you don't like music that uplifts, or makes you sad, music that just makes you feel good

I dislike the style, the lyrics (especially the lyrics). They are either incomprehensible, pointless, jibberish, or I disagree with what they say (they talk of drugs and communism, mostly).

Its plain to me that you really have never listened to them, no matter what you say, your mind is obviously closed to them. You say you dislike their style. Sorry Connor, the Beatles embrased so many styles that to say style as in single is meaningless. Their lyrics are some of the most understandable in pop music, hardly pointless as they cover a wide range of subjects. Some of their songs talk about drugs, but none to my knowledge ever talk about communism.

I much prefer classical and orchestral. And I think that classical and movie scores are much more technically difficult. There are many more musical techinques involved with orchestras than with rock groups, maybe just due to the immense volume of works an orchestra has to pick from.
once again that is debatable, while obviously the orchestration is complex, many of the Beatles songs use orchestra, electronics{primitive to be sure}

and lyrics that are complex and deep. You don't have to like them, but whether you do or don't doesn't change the fact that the Beatles are the greatest Rock and Roll band of all time. They are to rock, as John is to scores.

~Conor

"Obladi, oblada."

Huh?

"Imagine all the people living for to day. Imagine there's no countries. Nothing to kill or die for and no religion, too." (I know that's just John Lenin ( :P ), but I consider it part of the Beatles).

That's not capitalist, I can tell you that much.

~Conor

That dream that the song speaks of is much much better that how the world currently is in all things but the possessions issue. :P

(I know that's just John Lenin ( :P ), but I consider it part of the Beatles).

It's "Lennon", not "Lenin". That is someone totally different.

And just for arguments aske, if you hate the score to Jurassic Park III do you blame John Williams?

Your statement that you "consider it part of the Beatles" is ludicrous.

Neil

That is Conor, not Connor, Conner, or Coner. And the misspelling of Lennon (as Lenin) was on purpose. I was trying to make a point. I realize that that is not the truth. I do like JPIII, by the way, but I get your point. My argument still stands for "Obladi, Oblada. Life goes on, bra!" What in the world does that mean? (The gobbledygook, not the "Life goes on" part). I'm just not a fan. I've listened to the music, and it doesn't appeal to me. It doesn't evoke any good emotions in me. Not like good classical or movie music.

~Conor

I have to say I'm a great fan of many of their songs, even if I haven't a single album of them... But then again, if I'm in the mood for that, I only have to take a 300 meters walk and ask my dad for a Beatles cd :)

Your statement that you "consider it part of the Beatles" is ludicrous.

If it's lyrics of their songs it's part of their music too. :roll: It's not just a matter of person beliefs don't matter if music is good.....

And note, it's much harder to write for a 100 piece orchestra than a 5 piece band. :sigh:

"Obladi, oblada."

Huh?

Slang term for sex. Listen to the song lyrics, that's what they're about. Remember, they couldn't easily talk about stuff like that back then in plaintext - and it seems there are enough people who'd prefer if it still was like that today.

:sigh: Catch Me If You Can

Well, my last name is Cosman, yet i'm not of the Jewish faith.

Names do not tell the whole story, I've known a Budhist named Abraham. :sigh:

Stefancos- Who would not call himself a fan of The Beetles, but acknowledges their place in music history.

Well, for the record, my name does say something, although my parents chose it because of a book character. I'm still very Irish. I do recognize the importance of the Beatles, but I dislike their music (a lot!).

~Conor

Actually, I'm 16, going on 17, and I'd rather not listen about sex.  What can I say?  I'm a relatively strict Catholic (though I'm not trying to start a religious thread, either).

~

sounds like something your avatar would say.

K.M.

Excuse me guys, my High School Concert Band, the Owasso High School Concert Band is the greatest band of all time.

Ohhh...you mean "band" as in that "Rock and/or Roll" stuff. :)

As for the topic, I grew up on The Beatles - my dad was/is a Beatle's Fanatic, so there would always be some Beatle Album playing on the Record Player. For that reason, their music has been imprinted upon my psyche. Musically speaking, I love the Beatles. I love the evolution of their music, I love the musicality of their music, and I love the simplicity of their lyrics (or should I say absurdity, in some cases 8O ). All in all, I think they are the greatest Band of all time - and will remain so. My current favorite album of theirs is Rubber Soul although it usually changes based upon my moods.

BTW..."Popular" Music today sucks big time compared to the old stuff and classical/film score music. It seems as if things started deteriorating rapidly on the "Popular" music scene during the 90's and into today.

I am mystified to their popularity. I don't hate them, I just don't understand their worldwide and longlasting appeal.

I asked my uncle to let me make a copy their "One" album last year so I could see if I could get into their stuff... try to understand the appeal.

The verdict was that I've heard most of those songs many times on the radio or TV... and they just don't do anything for me. Some of their songs actually annoy me, too! LOL.

However, I can respect that they are so talented and they influenced so many musicians through the decades, but I simply don't see the same greatness that so many others say. I guess it's just my taste.

I call them "The Buttles". :)

-Chris, Who has been playing the hell out of "The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac" 2 CD set that his mom got him for Christmas... LOVE it!

I dislike the style' date=' the lyrics ([i']especially the lyrics). They are either incomprehensible, pointless, jibberish, or I disagree with what they say

"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away....Why she had to go I don't know, she wouldn't say"

I think the hidden meaning here is that this guy lost a chick he loved and now's he sad, (but yesterday he was happy), bear in mind that yesterday here may not mean actually yesterday - it could mean last week, last month, or even last year - maybe that's what confused you,

Sorry I'm a sarcastic bastard!!!!!!!

pete

Maybe this will help my argument:

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Writer, lead vocal: Paul McCartney

Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC  

Didn't get to bed last night  

On the way the paper bag was on my knee  

Man I had a dreadful flight  

I'm back in the U.S.S.R.  

You don't know how lucky you are boy  

Back in the U.S.S.R.  

Been away so long I hardly knew the place  

Gee it's good to be back home  

Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case  

Honey disconnect the phone  

I'm back in the U.S.S.R.  

You don't know how lucky you are boy  

Back in the U.S.S.R.  

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out  

They leave the West behind  

And Moscow girls make me sing and shout  

That Georgia's always on my mind.  

I'm back in the U.S.S.R.  

You don't know how lucky you are boys  

Back in the U.S.S.R.  

Show me round your snow peaked mountains way down south  

Take me to your daddy's farm  

Let me hear your balalaika's ringing out  

Come and keep your comrade warm.  

I'm back in the U.S.S.R.  

You don't know how lucky you are boys  

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Ever heard of this song from their White Album?

~Conor