Who Really Created the 'Inception' BRAAAM?

TownerFan

No one really created it, it's just the Piaf song slowed down to nano seconds. Nolan had it in the script.

Someone didn't read the article before posting.

Interesting comment below the article:

Zimmer's genius isn't writing, it's orchestration. He knows how to make things sound better than most others.

Zimmer's genius is neither. His genius is in self-portrayal and marketing.

His orchestrations don't make things sound better, they show the same rudimentary understanding of music as his compositions, and therefor go hand in hand to produce the blandness we know.

His orchestrations are exactly what his compositions deserve.

Zimmer's genius is in his orchestration - but not orchestration in the traditional sense. Like Jerry Goldsmith, he's a master at unusual and startling timbres - both acoustic and electronic. Like Bernard Herrmann, he creates bizarre ensembles (8 pedal steel guitars, 4 tubas etc.) that a concert orchestra would never be able to afford, that are purely cinematic in nature.

The thought that goes into any given experimental Zimmer (or Zimmer-esque) timbre is usually more interesting to me than the result itself. He's had some genuinely fascinating ideas...but a lot of them end up sounding surprisingly run-of-the-mill.

I suspect that overwhelming electronic manipulation is at least partially responsible. There's nothing inherently less creative about creating a sound digitally than creating it acoustically, just like there's nothing inherently less creative about creating a CG model of a spaceship than creating a physical model. But the "real world" has such a wonderfully distinct blend of quirks and imperfections.

The thought that goes into any given experimental Zimmer (or Zimmer-esque) timbre is usually more interesting to me than the result itself. He's had some genuinely fascinating ideas...but a lot of them end up sounding surprisingly run-of-the-mill.

I suspect that overwhelming electronic manipulation is at least partially responsible. There's nothing inherently less creative about creating a sound digitally than creating it acoustically, just like there's nothing inherently less creative about creating a CG model of a spaceship than creating a physical model. But the "real world" has such a wonderfully distinct blend of quirks and imperfections.

What he says is such hokum, what he says his music is and what it actually is are such different things. He basically talks out of his *** most of the time.

Can his """muscic""" really be played at a concert or anything? No, because if you wanted to listen to metal utensils banging, you would go to a factory and not a concert.

Frankly what he writes is not even music to me in the traditional sense, it falls more in the realm of sound design.

i'm sorry but that really sounds like elitist nonsense. So you saying because it can't be played in a concert hall it's Not music ? Weather you like it or not...Hans Zimmer is one of the biggest film composers that has ever lived. He has literally revolutionised the film score. He is now without doubt the most copied composer out there. His influence is enormous. I think you totally misunderstand him and his music. The first mistake you seem to be making is he writes the kind of music he does because he is incapable of writing anything else. This is an enormous fallacy. Do you not think that someone who is focused and smart enough to build a musical empire that stretches an entire block and employs upwards of 100 people wouldn't write traditional concert music in depth if he felt he had too. He has obviously decided that to get noticed he needed to do something else. His career started in the eighties when pop film scores where common place . Hans seems to have taken traditional diatonic pop harmonies and dressed them up in epic settings. Again weather you like it or not this resonates with an enormous number of people . In fact the biggest criticism i think you can lay at his door is that because his music at is heart IS so simple it's easy to copy !

but that would be totally missing the point. His german heritage and age is an obvious starting point for examining his musical choices. At 57 he would have grown up during the heyday of "krautrock" . Bands like Neu, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Cluster, Popul Vuh would be a big influence on him. The german youth after the war spent a lot of effort creating their own sound. In sharp contrast to the rest of europe who where obsessed with elvis ! Simplicity and repetition where the order of the day. Music was much more about texture and design. As much as Hans likes Wagner i suspect he spends more time at the alter of Ralph Hutter ! It is obvious listening to his scores that he strives for simplicity and minimalism in his melodies and motifs. Much more "autobahn" than "tristian ".......but THIS is a CHOICE ...not something forced on him by inability .

Remote Control are more of a sonic Bauhaus . Again the fact that he is open to collaborate and help upcoming composers is twisted into a negative. Claims that he can't write the music without help. What other Hollywood composers have help launched so many career's as Hans ? Yes it's a shame that many of these people write watered down Zimmer....but that really is their fault...not his.

The other mistake that you are making is to take the music he writes out of context. His job is to use music to help the drama. In many instances that would not translate to the concert hall at all. But that is not a failing of the music. It's not it's job. It's job is to serve the picture. And in most cases it does that very very well.

T

This is an enormous fallacy. Do you not think that someone who is focused and smart enough to build a musical empire that stretches an entire block and employs upwards of 100 people wouldn't write traditional concert music in depth if he felt he had too.

Must we start this nonsense again and again? Zimmer IS NOT IN ANY WAY CLASSICALLY TRAINED!!! He never claimed he was and surely never would dream of writing proper music for concert halls.