2013 spam attack containment thread

Dixon Hill

Who Should Score The Inevitable historical epic dramatizing the invasion of JWFan by spambots?

I vote for Elliot Goldenthal. I think he'd really capture the anguish, frustration, horror, and occasional sardonic humor of the whole affair.

While we're at it, who should direct? Who would you cast in the roles of various forum denizens? Would it be appropriate to use CGI in place of miniatures when portraying the forum locations themselves? Who should remix the score? Would a hybrid folk-rock/psychedelia song work well during the credits? How long will it be before a spambot responds to this topic?

The instrument is exactly correct (what weird sounds it produces!) but I think it should be a March of the Spambots instead of a scherzo.

And man these spambots are annoying. But they shall not pass!

43224997.jpg

You guys! It's so obvious.

Monty Python announce they are reuniting, and the number of SPAM increases dramatically?

:lol:

And who would be more suitable to score the Invasion of Spambots than John Williams himself? My second choices would be Goldenthal, Elfman or Broughton.

Thank you kindly Lee for that pithy comment. I have been removing the spam from the forum daily through the weekend but I have to say I can't do it 24/7 and all the time when I am work. Today I alone I have handled 5-10 of these bots. So kindly please understand this situation.

A wizard is never a slacker Quint, not even when he means to.

But when I am on the job the spambots shall not pass!

It's crazy today though. I just opened GD to find it under siege - there must have been twenty spam threads is a row. Is it not time to come up with a permanent solution? Is this due to a flaw in the rubbish IPBoard software?

exorcism2.jpg

I will banish you from this Message Board spambots, as poison is drawn from a wound!

I think it would be better to ask Andreas about that. I honestly have no idea. It is getting ridiculous though.

This spam isn't attacking in single file, unfortunately. It's more like the charge of the Rohirrim.

SPAM NOW! SPAAAAAAAM! SPAM FOR RUIN! AND THE BOARD'S ENDIIIING!

ROTFLMAO

They have taken the bridge... and general discussion.

I think I came up with a solution for this madness, I'll implement it when I get to work!

What ever you can do to stem this flood would be greatly appreciated Jason! :)

I like those threads. A lot of important, brave and discussion-worthy subjects are being raised. Other than that it's just The Hobbit or how unremarkable The Book Thief is... constantly on the loop.

Karol

Members scowl at us, and lurkers give us scornful names. ''Inky'' I am to one fat man near Liverpool who lives within a mouseclick of SPAM that would freeze his heart, or lay his little message boards in ruins, if he were not guarded ceaselessly. Yet we would not have it otherwise. If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so. This has been the task of my kindred, while the years have lengthened and the grass has grown.'' And again: ''Peace and freedom?...the MB would have known them little but for us...but when dark things come from the world wide web, or creep from oppressive Cloud, they fly from us! What threads would any dare to tread, what safety would there be in quiet lands, or in the laptops and tablets of simple men at night, if the Moderators were asleep, or were all gone into the grave?' - Incanus

Members scowl at us, and lurkers give us scornful names. ''Inky'' I am to one fat man near Liverpool who lives within a mouseclick of SPAM that would freeze his heart, or lay his little message boards in ruins, if he were not guarded ceaselessly. Yet we would not have it otherwise. If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so. This has been the task of my kindred, while the years have lengthened and the grass has grown.'' And again: ''Peace and freedom?...the MB would have known them little but for us...but when dark things come from the world wide web, or creep from oppressive Cloud, they fly from us! What threads would any dare to tread, what safety would there be in quiet lands, or in the laptops and tablets of simple men at night, if the Moderators were asleep, or were all gone into the grave?' - Incanus

These spambots are so sophisticated these days they can even mimick users!

For now, I have completely disabled new registration. So any real life people reading this and hoping to join the forum - sorry, you'll have to wait a bit until we clean up this mess.

It's very odd that these spambots are getting in, because if you guys were to log out and check our new user registration page, it requires a two-phrase captcha PLUS you have to answer a question (that isn't worded in a way that a spambot could google the answer).

Andreas has let us know that we cannot use the official spam protection from IPBoard with the license we have. We'd have to upgrade to a different license that costs $150 sign-up plus $50/year, so we'd have to raise money for that.

My plan of attack in the meantime is to delete all these current spam accounts that haven't posted yet, then create a new member type and default all new users to this new group. This new group would have their first post require mod approval before showing - if they are a real person, we move them to "members", if not, we delete their account. However if we are still going to be getting hundreds of new spambots signed up every day, this won't be too helpful. We'll see.....