The Desolation of Smaug SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Lighting a match on set is dangerous, but pouring shitloads of water down the actors for the stone giants scene in a room filled with electric equipment ist not?

Like I said:

In LotR, the design of sets and location scouting had great artistic merit. In the Hobbit the few real landscapes we see look like New Zealand exploitation, and the rest is a computer's sad attempt at replicating the epic scope of the OT.

Maybe that's something which is lacking in this new trilogy; something tangible - a real, lived-in world.

Maybe? THAT is what is lacking.

Well, it's more of a tip of the iceberg thing though isn't it.

Well, if you were talking about the visuals/overall look when you said "something tangible, a real, lived-in world", I maintain that. It remains one of the main reasons why these films don't appeal to me the way LOTR did. That, and the fact that they made three films instead of two.

What I mean is of all the problems these movies have it's their look and even atmosphere which are the least bothersome.

And the real landscapes serve little purpose aside from showing off New Zealand. That's what I mean by exploitation SUH. And there are so few of them in DoS anyways.

In LotR, the vistas are used to give life to the world of Tolkien's world. None of it really seems redundant. It feels like we really are in Middle-Earth.

Indeed. Conrad Pope mentioned in his interview that the cameras needed to film for 48 fps are the size of a refrigerator (another reason to have avoided it entirely) so they had to minimize location shooting to avoid carrying all that junk up mountains and rivers.

I don't think it's the framerate. It's the massive 3D rigs. They're very bulky and it's so much work to set them up, they instead had multiple rigs ready to go. So there was a steadicam rig, a crane rig, a dolly rig, etc. always ready to go. The camera department basically took up a small soundstage just to keep the equipment standby.

And the real landscapes serve little purpose aside from showing off New Zealand. That's what I mean by exploitation SUH. And there are so few of them in DoS anyways.

How many are there in DOS, anyway? I can only think of three moments where there are a few: when they run to Beorn's house (and one shot when they leave it, which followed by a shot of one of the most ugly CG environment in the entire saga), when they meet Bard and when they are in the Desolation of Smaug. That's it.

Add the epic shots of Gandalf's brief and pointless trek to the High Fells, and that's about it.

Followed up by classic lines like "Is this a trap? Oh, yes it's a trap!" and "You are in danger and I am in danger, heck we all are in danger!" all of them set to the tune of "My Favourite Things" of course.

How many are there in DOS, anyway? I can only think of three moments where there are a few: when they run to Beorn's house (and one shot when they leave it, which followed by a shot of one of the most ugly CG environment in the entire saga), when they meet Bard and when they are in the Desolation of Smaug. That's it.

Add the epic shots of Gandalf's brief

I always took him for a boxers guy.

It was not pointless! It was full of great lines like: "Something happened here" and "We must do something about it".

Actually, I find that one of the best scenes in the film. One of the few that actually felt like it could be something Tolkien. And the score is great.

As for its necessity ... well, about 40-50% of this trilogy is basically unnecessary, and yet we have it, so I intend to enjoy the parts that turned out well.

Was there a reason given why the company leaves Bifur behind and never notices he is gone?

Thorin didn't want to wait for late comers in fear of missing Durin's Day I guess.

See, whatever explanation us fans come up with, no matter how logical, it's never made clear in the film, which is a massive flaw in itself.