The Desolation of Smaug SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Maybe he just gets lost in the wilderness, like the book suggests....never mind, that's adhering to much to the original source, which is a big no-no in a Jackson film of course.

Of course he's going to die, that has always been obvious. I originally thought it would be during the BOFA too, but now that Gandalf's staff is already broke, I assume he dies freeing Gandalf from Dol Goldur.Shame too, cause now it'll probably be another moth that summons the Eagles to BOFA rather than Radagast.

What do you mean? Radagast's spirit will just live on inside a moth. Istari don't just die. And if they do, they do it with style.

Alan Lee said that he will "lose himself" or some crap like that.

That was John Howe, actually. But whatever...

Oh, your right Thank you.

Howe says that he'll forgot his mission and wander in the world with bird poop on his face, or something like that...

He was probably mugged and stabbed to death by ruffians who mistook him for a vagabond.

Howe says that he'll forgot his mission and wander in the world with bird poop on his face, or something like that...

He was probably mugged and stabbed to death by ruffians who mistook him for a vagabond.

If they dumped his body in the Anduin afterwards, it was a fitting end.

Wow... that makes PJ's changes T-canon!!

I still don't get what Radagast did to revive Sebastian.

He used his magic. I suppose he normally does not use magic to fix natural diseases and things like that. He thought it was some sickness, then he realised it was black magic.

Gandalf and Radagast are both Istari.

So, Radagast gets chased away by angry bats, and Gandalf gets his ass whipped by Sauron himself, staff incinerated, and locked in a cage?

Ok ...

Even if the bats chase Radagast away, it doesn't make sense in the least that Sauron would let Radagast escape, while holding Gandalf prisoner and trying to cover himself.

But Gandalf or the council would have never known about any fishy things in Dol Guldur (in PJs version) if he wasn't attacked by the wraith or Sauron. It's utterly stupid to do anything if you want to be hidden. What's Radagast going to say to Gandalf or Saruman? "Well, the place feels weird"?

And what keeps Sauron from re-casting the spell, had Radagast broken it?

One can turn it however one likes, the Dol Guldur story logic is questionable at best.

The Dol Goldur story is a fucking mess. As of now, the whole ghostbusters-Witch-King attack on Radagast was utterly pointless, as was much of Gandalf's exploration of Dol Goldur.

Nothing makes sense, and nothing flows. This is way worse than how the Arwen/Aragorn story was kind of chopped up in the OT.

Ahh, right, forgot about that. Makes sense I suppose (although its a risky plan at that). Still, I stand by a serious lack of flow from the Dol Goldur plot in AUJ and DoS.

Again, Gandalf knew it was a trap, yes, and that's precisely why he went in. To force Sauron's hand, to get the council to act.

However, I don't get that as well.

Sauron was apparently ready to send his armies at the point Gandalf gets captured. Why attack him, and "force his hand", if he is about to reveal himself anyway (or already has revealed himself to Radagast)? Is it meant to show that Gandalf made a mistake?

More so, after Gandalf and Radagast explore the tombs, and discover they have been broken up, emptied, whatever, and Gandalf draws the conclusion the Ringwraiths have been called to Dol Guldur, why the hell didn't he have the council make a move together? He has Radagast's story, evidence and support, Galadriel's support, and Elrond at the very least is on the verge of believing Radagast/Gandalf.

And what else is Radagast to tell Galadriel? Gandalf sends him away before anything happens. He tells Radagast to bring message that he is exploring the fortress. So? He doesn't know Gandalf was captured.

Well for the first bit I don't see why that would reveal Sauron's presence, since, I believe, they are chiefly Gundabad Orcs - Azog's army. If they marched on Erebor with Azog at their head that's not going to raise too many eyebrows, lest someone discover where they came from, and even then it wouldn't obviously point to Sauron as the architect of it all.

Their armour and weaponry, I guess that's something Sauron helped with (not physically of course), judging by the appearance of the Gundabad Orcs elsewhere in the films (even at the battle of Azanulbizar they're nowhere near as well-equipped).

You think it wouldn't raise the smallest suspicion when a huge ass army is coming from the place that everyone but Saruman suspects is the lair of a "Necromancer"?