The Desolation of Smaug SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Oh no...this thread too is going dangerously close to the dark side of JWFan...to the Black Lands of innuendo.

DUDE, I'm in the public library!!

The overwhelming pink probably caught the attention of at least 10 people behind me...how embarrassing.

Disclaimer: Again, I still don't think there's anything wrong with liking the show.

Gandalf was wearing a wire when he went in to expose the Necromancer. The rest of the White Council will have been listening in and cannot fail to have heard him growl "Sssssssaaaaauuuuurrrrrroooooonnnnnnn!" at the key moment. Saruman had some egg on his face at that meeting, I can tell you.

Someone on YouTube raises a good point, which I thought I'd mention here for those who may be interested. A possible reason Gandalf goes to Dol Guldur is to get the Necromancer to reveal himself so Saruman will finally believe him them and get the white council wto help get rid of the evil. Radagast is sent off to persuade them (using the fact Gandalf is probably in grave danger to get them to come), Gandalf managed to get Sauron to reveal himself and his armies (something Sauron may not have done if he felt threatened by loads of istari, and then Gandalf and Radagast would look like lying fools).

So, would anyone care to explain why this (supposedly) makes sense? Because I can't see it.

So far, what do we have?

- Radagast goes to Dol Guldur. A wraith attacks him and Sauron reveals himself to him. Why? Because... I guess Sauron didn't think it was a good idea not to reveal himself and let Radagast think the fortress was abandoned. But whatever...

- Then, Radagast warns Gandalf and tells him Dol Guldur isn't empty anymore.

- Gandalf warns the White Council. Galadriel believes him, and thinks something is wrong. Elrond is somehow sceptical. Saruman pretends it's bullshit. So Gandalf needs to find more evidence to force the White Council to act!

- Gandalf goes to the High Fells, finds empty tombs, a clear evidence that the Nazgûl are back. That + Radagast's encounter with a wraith + the Morgûl Blade... Surely, Gandalf has enough evidence now to force the Council to do something. Surely, he's going to go straight to Rivendell/Orthanc/Lothlorien (pick one) to get the old gang back together! No? Oh, ok... So what does he do?

- He goes straight to Dol Guldur, of course. Because he has a plan. And a great one, at that! "OK, so I'm going to risk being killed to prove my point to the council. That way, if I die, I will be able to tell them: "I told you so!"" Oh, and of course, to make sure the council does something, he sends Radagast tell the council to move his !@#$%^&*. Because, of course, the council who didn't believe Radagast's tale about the Nazgûl and the Necromancer (even though he had proof with the Morgul blade) is surely going to believe a crazy hobo with bird poop on his face if he comes running towards them shouting: "Gandalf is goin' to die! Quickly! Hop on my sled of Doom and let's go rescue him!" with no proof whatsoever.

1: Radagast would have broke the spell of concealment and found the army, better for him to silence Radagast and risk him escaping, if he did escape, it would still take some time for the Council to act (seeing how Curunir was already in ensnared by Sauron/The Ring), and then Sauron would already be ready.

2: The Council always suspected the Ulairi, but figured it was not enough of a problem to worry about.

3: You got me with the last point.

1: Radagast would have broke the spell of concealment and found the army

Radagast didn't even seem to know there was a spell of concealment.

Because he never found out! The Nazgul did his job well.

"The Nazgûl did his job well"? All he did was loose his Morgul blade and by revealing himself, made Gandalf suspicious that something was happening in Dol Guldur. Great job.

But by the time Gandalf figured it out, it was too late, and the army was ready (or so Sauron thought).

"The Nazgûl did his job well"? All he did was loose his Morgul blade and by revealing himself, made Gandalf suspicious that something was happening in Dol Guldur. Great job.

I think that's the first typo/spelling error I've ever seen you make!

Speaking of the Morgul Blade...what's up with that? A ghost version of the Nazgul attacked him and POOF, a blade falls on the floor.

Still don't understand what happened there.

And why is the Nazgul in ghost form anyway? I mean he's already undead anyway, and even if he's been "resurrected", why don't can't he be wearing his robes? Or did PJ just decide it's easier to work with a CG version of him too.

This Dol Goldur business is really stupid.

I think that's the first typo/spelling error I've ever seen you make!

Damn you, LeBlanc! I always trouble with these two. Loose and lose. Fuck those verbs!

Quite frankly, your English is superb.

It would have been the same if Sauron had decided not to attack Radagast and just let him visit an empty fortress. Radagast didn't do anything suggesting he would have tried undoing the spell of concealment.

That could be an awful risk (How does Sauron know what Radagast is gonna do?), that I don't think Sauron would take.

They're bunnies of DOOM BloodBoal, crafted from the flames of Mount. Doom by the hands of Aulë himself. These ancient beasts would far precede the days of the Ring in power and came before even the Balrogs of Morgoth. They would chew Sauron to bits. Of course he'd be scared!

Balrogs of Morgoth.

Balrogs are corrupted Maiar right?

and Maiar were around with the Ainur right?

so... do Bunnies of Doom predate the Ainur!?

or just pre-Maiar-corruption.

The bunnies of Doom were physical Earthly vessels created to carry Illuvatar himself. So yes, they predate the Ainur.

Back to the Bunnies of Doom are we? They are endlessly fascinating to be sure.

The Dol Guldur storyline is just a bit limp, bunnies or no bunnies.