My John Williams CD collection: STOLEN !!

Greggeth

i new I could find sympathy here....

my car was stolen, along with 20 JW discs. UGH! I'm most grieved with the loss of CD's. :devil:

Wondering if any of you would be so kind as to.... "assist" me in getting them back; helping me to grow my JW disc collection back.

please advise.

Thanks!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! That's a lot of CDs to leave in your car! And very unfortunate that they were JW CDs.

As I said in the CD-R thread, I don't make CD-R copies of my soundtracks. If I take lots of CDs with me on a road trip or something, I usually don't take the "valuable" ones. It's usually the ones that can be replaced with a quick trip to Best Buy or Circuit City.

I hope you can get replacements soon. But more important, I hope you find your car.

I'll take 10-20 on just a 45 minute drive to the mall.

But I learned my lesson. Now they are only CD-Rs and the originals stay safe and sound at home.

Man....

I lost Stepmum once and I was heartbroken, let alone loosing 20 CDs ....

CDr from now on. The only way to make sure that the next time you change from one CD to another you don't have the original falling off your hands landing in a paddle of mud!! No, that hasn't happened to me (yet)

I share your grief, Greggeth.

I hope you can get replacements soon.  But more important, I hope you find your car.

I apologize if this is going to sound cruel, but I would easily do without the car. That's because I'm extremely dependent on the CDs I have, including the growing JW collection. You can always buy a new car if you have money or happen upon a cheaper one, but no matter how much money you possess, there are items in music that are already impossible to obtain unless you "get illegally hold of someone else's collection". It's not funny, that's what eats me everyday.

But I learned my lesson. Now they are only CD-Rs and the originals stay safe and sound at home.

Question: what happens if your house is robbed?

There are far more valuable things in my house than my CD's but if my house is robbed, at least I'll have the CD-R's in my car, safe and sound. :)

Neil

Or perhaps in that case the insurance pays you enough money to finance expanded & remastered re-releases of all the scores you lost. ;)

Marian - who might consider hiring robbers in that case.

:) Papillon (Jerry Goldsmith)

What Titles Were They?

Perhaps knowing what Titles were taken we could all keep a look out for those titles for you. I definitly will.

I'd be glad to help by making CD-R's of any JWscore you'd like but like most members here I'm sure you'd prefer originals.

1. All of my collectibles (Including my CDs) are insured.

2. Someone is always home (Me, my bro, my mom, my dad, and dozens of pets. (Plus, My mom is MEGA-paranoid, and if we were to all leave the house, every door and wiondow would be locked in every fashion imaginable.)

3. My CD collection is locked in my bedroom.

4. People stupid and/or immoral enough to steal are almost exclusively not the same type of person who would love John Williams music. They'd likely rather steal other things.

5. I live in a quiet town and fairly isolated. My nearest neighbor is 200-300 yards down a hill either way, surrounded by thick, peaceful woodland.

6. We have weapons if need be... :|

(Ask KM about all of the above, LOL... except for the bedroom part. Since he was here, we built a new bedroom where my collection now resides. They used to be in the family living room).

I'd be more concerned about a fire than I would a robber. And in that case, I'm insured. Plus, I'd probably rely on my fine friends here to trade/buy CDRs of most of the rarer stuff, and most CDs can be fetched fairly cheap on ebay (EXCEPT the rarer stuff).

1. All of my collectibles (Including my CDs) are insured.

2. Someone is always home (Me, my bro, my mom, my dad, and dozens of pets. (Plus, My mom is MEGA-paranoid, and if we were to all leave the house, every door and wiondow would be locked in every fashion imaginable.)

3. My CD collection is locked in my bedroom.

4. People stupid and/or immoral enough to steal are almost exclusively not the same type of person who would love John Williams music. They'd likely rather steal other things.

5. I live in a quiet town and fairly isolated. My nearest neighbor is 200-300 yards down a hill either way, surrounded by thick, peaceful woodland.

Hmmm....Upstate New York huh? Peaceful woodlands huh? CD collection in bedroom huh?

Note to self: Next time i'm in Upstate New York near peaceful woodlands, be sure to rob Chris's highly valuable CD's. Especially anything concerning Hook and Temple of Doom.

Exccelllllentt..... 8O

:o

That's quite a presumption!

Yeah. I know a guy who had his soundtrack collection (including JW stuff) stolen. Whether it's because the thieves actually LIKED the music, or because they thought someone would like it, or because they simply didn't look, I don't know, but that doesn't protect any CDs anyway.

Might I add a suggestion here?? Instead of cdrs, get an mp3 player for your car!!! I just got one a couple weeks ago, and it is amazing- you can put 4 to 6 albums on one cdr!!!! Or make a compilation that is 6 hours long!!

I love my new toy...

John F

Might I add a suggestion here?? Instead of cdrs, get an mp3 player for your car!!! I just got one a couple weeks ago, and it is amazing- you can put 4 to 6 albums on one cdr!!!! Or make a compilation that is 6 hours long!!

But you're still using CD-R's, just not as many. I have many CD-R's filled with mp3's that I can use in my walkman, boombox, computer and stereo system but I prefer to use the direct copies that I make.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

okay...

the car that was stolen was a Honda Civic, very popular for the thieves.

i had numerous JW CD's as well as other CD's in the car. a total of 28 CD's. I kept a lot of CD's in my car, cuz that's where i listened to music. and it was the most convenient. being a trusting person i never thought anything this tragic would happen. i've learned my lesson. CDR's in the future. !!

CD's are NOT covered by the insurance policy because they were taken from a car. Had they been stolen out of my home, they would be covered.

the Lord quickly found a car for me. it's better than the first and i got a great deal on it. it's got all the bells and whistles including a security system, and a 6 disc CD changer in the trunk. what kind of car??? another Honda Civic.!!! : ) They rock!!

i've managed to dup some discs already..... the remaining (Soundtracks) discs i'm still in need of are....

- Raiders of the Lost Ark (19 tracks) DZS-090

- E.T. (8 tracks) MCAD-31073

- this is the orginally issued soundtrack for E.T. far better i feel than the more recently re-leases. This is the one i'm most grieved by.

- Minority Report

- A.I.

- Compilation CD (double disc) of John's music. Called "Close Encounters" it contained music from "presumed innocent" "towering inferno" and others...

- Signs (James Newton Howard)

Any help you can give would be Greatly appreciated, particularly E.T.

You guys rock!!! thanks for your support!!

Greggeth

(Milwaukee, WI)

If you get homeowners or apartment renter's insurance, you can list them and their cumulative value on the form. If they are stolen, they won't give you the exact titles back; they give you a check and it's up to you to replenish your collection.

Jeff -- tempting fate by not having renter's insurance

[

, and dozens of pets. (P

Those cats freaked me out.But I think they own the house really and your faimily lives in it :

• 2 weeks later...

people,

thank you for your concern. My JW CD collection has been FOUND!!

The police called me the other morning stating they had found my stolen car. It was only 10 blocks away!! They gave me the address, and I rushed over to see it, not knowing what I might find. When I got there there was a police squad car parked next to it. They had already called the tow truck and were waiting for it to arrive.

I spoke with the officer and explained who I was, and he let me go into the unlocked car and retrieve anything I could find. my ENTIRE JW CD collection was still in the vehicle!! Virtually everything else i had left in the car was still in the car!! I lost a few other CD's but I believe that's ALL i lost. i collected everything and returned home. the car has been towed away, and it now belongs to the insurance company.

I attribute this completely to the wonderful Mercy of GOD. : )

I will be visiting a friend soon and burning copies of my CD's.

my ENTIRE JW CD collection was still in the vehicle!!  .

lol,tells you how popular sountracks are.What few other c.d.'s were stolen?

i also got some stuff stolen from my place in 2001,but the theives didn't touch my c.d.'s,most of which are film scores.

K.M.

Wow, congratulations. :)

Believe me, I know how it feels. My Williams collection rests under water in Venice -- it'll soon be a year ago. So by knowing the sadness that lost brings, I can guess the joy that recovery brings. So, in your honor:

;):ola::)

I will be visiting a friend soon and burning copies of my CD's.

I can't help but feel partly responsible for that. :)

Congratulations!

Neil