Am I the only one here who doesn't have Netflix?

Sharkissimo

Caps? What is that?

I can buy extra download volume but that would mean I'm spending more money on netflix. And it's already more expensive than in other countries!

It's still cheap though. Two seasons of House Of Cards on Blu-ray would have cost me 70 Euro. And I have so much more now ...

Alex

Caps? What is that?

I can buy extra download volume but that would mean I'm spending more money on netflix. And it's already more expensive than in other countries!

It's still cheap though. Two seasons of House Of Cards on Blu-ray would have cost me 70 Euro. And I have so much more now ...

Alex

Caps are the monthly limits that you can download or upload. I presume you have Telenet Basic Internet, which has 30 mbps download at 100 Gb / month.

I'm on 60 mbps download at 150 Gb / month. I'm seeing a lot less of the issue you seem to be having. I'm using netflix a few months now, and I've only been having the quality loss to SD happen about 15 times. So in my case, no biggie. But I can see it being annoying if your connection isn't as fast.

And I'm not sure letting it load for a while will do anything, because it seems that it only starts to buffer / stream once you hit play, even after pausing. Could be wrong though.

We have limitless downloading too (no caps?), only it costs more (about twice as much).

Oh yeah, Belgium doesn't have any canyons either.

But we have caves!

Home internet being capped isn't common in the USA, but I predict it will start be more of an issue in the next 0-2 years

Has it always been like that? Even when internet was new? There isn't a lot of competition here so that might explain why it's still being 'capped'.

I've never heard of anyone's internet being capped in the USA, no.

The only time I've read about it is in recent times with some providers starting to throttle people after they hit some huge GB amount.

As more and more people dump cable packages for the new wave of online TV/movie providers (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc), ISPs will undoubtedly figure out a way to recoup losses by either capping the data amount and/or making a tiering system ("have you tried our new super value plus package?!?! No? There's like 10x more internetsss.").

Everytime people figure out a way to save money by taking advantage of a situation, the free market reigns them back in by adjusting and closing loopholes.

• 2 years later...

Netflix is good when it gives me shows like BCS. House Of Cards is too much senator X this, senator Y that. Maybe I should not give up so soon? 

Anyway it's down so ...

Does that apply to streaming services though? I know some providers here don't count Netflix in their Fair Use policies. But I could be wrong though, because I haven't had a cap for years. 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Baffling selection of good titles and absolutely shite. With seemingly no system applied to it. I know that's basically because of right and demand, but still.

A colleague and I once tried, and failed, to find any pattern for the titles available on any streaming service. I would imagine that since revenues for the studios are pretty low, they don't want the good stuff on there permanently.

We also discussed whether paying more for more content would work, but we assumed that NF have already explored that avenue.

I cancelled it last month as I realised I only used it for Better Call Saul and re-watching Always Sunny....

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It hasn't been down here at all. 

It's down on my HP Chromebox and on my Windows laptop. It still works on the kid's MacBook.

I need to get Netflix on my Blu-ray player again for easy streaming of Trek. The problem is I need to connect it to the Wi-Fi and it's an OG device without wireless capability. I previously just ran an impressively long Ethernet cable across the entire length of the house from the router, but I can't do that anymore. So I don't know what to do.

Does anybody else find it annoying how Netflix immediately minimizes end credits to advertise another show/movie.  Once it happens, it's easy to change back but it totally kills the mood of series/film's ending.    

Not to mention it's disrespectful to the people listed in the credits.  

No. Because that has never happened to me. It usually happens on network and cable TV, but I've never had it happen on Netflix.

1 hour ago, Rose Dawson said:

I need to get Netflix on my Blu-ray player again for easy streaming of Trek. The problem is I need to connect it to the Wi-Fi and it's an OG device without wireless capability. I previously just ran an impressively long Ethernet cable across the entire length of the house from the router, but I can't do that anymore. So I don't know what to do.

I have the same problem with my LG smart television. I bought it open box 4.5 years ago without the remote control or wireless dongle. Three apartments ago, the Fios modem was right next to it so a LAN cable worked great. Last apartment, the access point was either hidden by the landlord or just in the other unit, separated by the walls.  I used a Netgear repeater to rebroadcast the wireless network as a new network, to hide how many devices I had connected. It included an ethernet connection for the TV. Worked reasonably well. 

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

I don't use it anymore because I don't have a nearby outlet to use. 

How do I cancel my subscription when all I see is a black screen with a small Netflix logo in the upper left corner? There's no 'My account', no nothing ...

2 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

I'm disappointed in you, BB, for doubting whether he's being sarcastic.

With Rich, you never quite know. As I said, he often feels honest when asking these kind of questions. Plus, let's remember he's someone who struggled to add an avatar for years, which tells you a lot about the character!