Am I the only one here who doesn't have Netflix?

Sharkissimo

Deadwood was fine - entertaining - but I didn't think it was as special as the cream of the crop shows that have come since. Have no desire to rewatch it someday, for example. But I'll be rewatching Carnivale, BSG, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc.

Also Koray you should know that they wrote Season 3 assuming they'd be renewed, and then HBO just canceled the show on them. So nothing gets wrapped up, the show just... ends.

But I'll be rewatching Carnivale, BSG, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc.

I'll take it over any of those.

Ian McShane >>>>>>>>>. Bryan Cranston

Cranston's eating McShane?

I watched 3 seasons and really didn't care for any more. It's a decent enough show if that's the sort of thing you're into, but when people start preaching that it's the greatest, most perfect TV show ever made, I just wish they'd shut up. It does a lot of things right and avoids cliches, but for the basics of actual entertainment, there are other good shows.

It's perfect but not to those who think America is perfect. The Wire removes the rose-colored glasses. It goes to the roots of the disease. It doesn't want to be just 'entertainment'.

Deadwood was fine - entertaining - but I didn't think it was as special as the cream of the crop shows that have come since. Have no desire to rewatch it someday, for example. But I'll be rewatching Carnivale, BSG, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc.

Battlestar Galactica is more special than Deadwood?! Wow! In what way?

Anyway, my opinion is very different. I just rewatched it and it's one of the few shows that I'm keeping in my collection. The characters, the dialog and the tone are unique, complex and layered. The second time was even better than the first. You simply can't take it all in at one time. Also, this show changes as you get older. Give it another try, Jason.

I watched 3 seasons and really didn't care for any more. It's a decent enough show if that's the sort of thing you're into, but when people start preaching that it's the greatest, most perfect TV show ever made, I just wish they'd shut up. It does a lot of things right and avoids cliches, but for the basics of actual entertainment, there are other good shows.

It's perfect but not to those who think America is perfect. The Wire removes the rose-colored glasses. It goes to the roots of the disease. It doesn't want to be just 'entertainment'.

Excuse me while I vomit.

My brother has pestered me for years to watch Deadwood and I intend to. It's supposed to be brilliant.

It is, 90% of the time. Mind you, it's not about story or plot, but about a birth of a city. And it's almost exclusively character and dialog driven. I should say, the dialog is not normal, it's almost modern Shakespeare.

Excuse me while I vomit.

You are such an immature jerk.

It's the dialogue and McShane's performance which pique my interest. I can tell it's my cup of tea.

Oh yes, McShane alone is worth it, but there are many more incredible 'personas' walking the muddy streets of Deadwood.

David Milch's Luck (racetrack, horses, Dustin Hoffman) was pretty good too but that show got canceled after 1 season.

Yeah that was a shame (I fancied it) and probably a bit of an overreaction. Did Luck end in any sort of satisfying manner? I trust it wasn't a big daft Lost cliffhanger tacked on the end of it for all those Dan Brown type viewers out there?

I honestly don't remember but I doubt it. Even though I knew it was only one season, I bought it because I figured good nine episodes are nine good episodes. Is it a keeper like Deadwood? No ... That reminds me ... there's also Milch's John From Cincinnati , another one season show which I never saw, but I heard it was pretty impenetrable.

john_from_cincinnati_xlg_zps03ad1b8d.jpg

Alex

Wow a topic about Netflix that isn't about Netflix

Well to be fair it's not a LOTR thread YET! Like most Jw non jw threads

Excuse me while I vomit.

You are such an immature jerk.

And you are a pompous, self-righteous, humourless twat. A walking, talking, Alejandro González Iñárritu film.

Blocked for eternity.

The thing is,I have a 50GB cap on my internet connection, so if I watched a lot of movies on Netflix I'd go over and get penalty charges

Well, most TVs nowadays have the Smart TV feature with the Netflix app (or Hulu, HBO Go, etc). That's how I watch it, at least. My Blu-ray player has an Amazon Prime app, so I'm covered.

I was never able to get the Netflix app to work with my LG smart TV. Maybe it's because it was an open box special that came without a remote and it has the original user's information still saved somehow. It doesn't matter because my Blu-ray player does have the Netflix app. I am very pleased that I managed to get the Smart Share program to work on my desktop, which permits the TV directly to access my desktop over the wireless and play MP4 video files. No more directly linking the laptop to the TV to watch certain programs, which was a an inconvenience.

Watching stuff on PC is still an inferior form of entertainment compared to TV for me. So, no. Even if it was available.

yes, that too

And I can;t understand for the life of me who'd watch a movie on a tablet

Almost everyone I know has Netflix, and not a single one watches on a computer or tablet - everyone watches on their TV. All you need is a Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, WD Live, PS3, PS4, Xbox, smart TV, smart Blu Ray player, etc

Blocked for eternity.

Does that mean snarly Sharky can't read my posts? Cool! That means he no longer will react to them with juvenile and vitriolic responses! :)

Watching stuff on PC is still an inferior form of entertainment compared to TV for me. So, no. Even if it was available.

yes, that too

Huh? I access Netflix through the Playstation. Which is also my blu-ray player.

yes, that too

Huh? I access Netflix through the Playstation. Which is also my blu-ray player.

You glossed over their point. Your Playstation is hooked to a TV, so you're watching it at TV size. You're not watching it at four to twelve inches of tablet size.

That's Lee's point.

The days of watching movies from Internet on your computer only are long gone.

Many mediaplayers, Chromecast, Apple TV, DVD players with internet connetion and smart TV's will allow you to have Netflix and similar services on your TV

OK... I just don't have a problem watching Netflix on a 27" computer monitor from two feet or so away because it is still relatively large with respect to my field of view for the distance. I wouldn't sit that close to watch a 65" TV, I'm more like fifteen feet away, and at that distance, the comparable proportions are acceptably interchangeable. I have watched exactly one TV episode on my phone, and held it pretty darn close. Again, the proportion WRT my FOV was decent, but my arm got tired.

Even if I didn't own a PS4 I'd just bring Netflix up on the cable tv box instead. Prefer it on the games console though because the UI is nice and slick.

I love my Blu-ray player. As long as there isn't a disc, I just push the dedicated Netflix button and I'm going. If there is a disc inside, its menu takes priority. Granted, the search function sucks by having to scroll either all the way up or down through the categories to get the magnifying glass, but oh well. MUCH better than using the Wii.

I hope Netflix will offer a decent catalogue here, but it's Belgium, so with our luck, I'm not holding my breath. Would be good if we could finally follow, legally, American TV series along with the rest of the world though (for a reasonable rate).