What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Inherent Vice? Maybe a couple chuckles but that's it.

Maybe it takes a particular sense of humor, but Martin Short and Josh Brolin had me rolling. The whole sequence at the mental hospital is bizarrely funny too and there were definitely a handful of moments outside of those. Probably his funniest movie for me, actually, and this is coming from someone who thinks Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and Punch Drunk Love are (intentionally) hilarious.

There's a comedic air to everything, but only Phoenix brought any real humor to the table, for me. I thought Brolin was awfully forceful. Owen Wilson mouthing out "what the fuck?" made me laugh though.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never sell or trade my copy. Even though I didn't feel the urge to laugh, I was deeply impressed with Magnolia, especially the second time. One really needs to be open for the grand operatic style though ...

Alex

It's a great film! Though I might personally prefer Boogie Nights.

What'd you think of There Will Be Blood Alex?

All four of those first films are pretty special IMO. Hard Eight is very good, his filmmaking talent and gift with actors are obvious right from the start. It's loaded with promise and Boogie Nights is the payoff. A lot of people still consider it his best. Magnolia and especially Punch-Drunk Love start giving glimpses to his new direction. Stranger and messier in style and content and filled with some pretty amazing stuff.

PTA's filmmaking style took a lot after Scorcese in the 90s, before Punch-Drunk Love, where he took a new direction. His films were arguably more personal then.

And I thought you were a big PTA fan Koray!

OMG Koray, you have to see his other movies!

I thought Quint was talking about The Interview when he brought up comedies. Is Inherent Vice marketed as a comedy?

Unbroken

Hollywood schmaltz, but done with finesse. The high production values and Deakin's cinematography make it nice to look at, but I didn't find much value in the story, which ended up being a religious statement out of no where in the end. Desplat's score is quite sparse, I can't imagine that 2 disc promo was all from the film.

I can understand that Hard Eight and Boogie Nights* take a bit after vintage Scorsese but I can't say that about Magnolia. Everybody says it was infuenced by Robert Altman, BTW, but I can't certify it because I'm not an Altman expert. It's funny how once we talk a bout serious filmmaking, we start talking about influences.

It's a great film! Though I might personally prefer Boogie Nights.

What'd you think of There Will Be Blood Alex?

Impressive and epic but I really need to see it again to know how I really feel about it. It's not the kind of movie I can fully digest in one take. I have the Blu-ray but I haven't gotten around to it.

*It's more satirical than vintage Scorese.

Alex

Magnolia was kind of it's own beast really. I feel like it was a real mix of things.

And I love There Will Be Blood.

The Maze Runner:

mazerunnerimage-720x509_zps0acf56a0.jpg

I don't understand the fairly positive praise the film has received. If you are 10 years old and it's your first film (after being brought up by Nickelodeon and Disney for 10 years) then maybe The Maze Runner might impress. Shallow, cliched, and very improbable. 4/10

Alex

I would never sell or trade my copy. Even though I didn't feel the urge to laugh, I was deeply impressed with Magnolia, especially the second time. One really needs to be open for the grand operatic style though ...

Alex

Heh, there's the old passive aggressive Alex again, like clockwork. Why haven't you grown out of that yet? Kiddy tit-for-tat.

Anyway, coincidentally I watched Maze Runner last night as well. I was expecting something so much better. I hadn't realised till after five minutes in that it was actually a proper teenage movie, which sort of put me off. And by the end I didn't really know wtf was going on, other than I was supposed to trust in a sequel to reveal more. Nah, can't be arsed.

The Maze Runner:

mazerunnerimage-720x509_zps0acf56a0.jpg

I don't understand the fairly positive praise the film has received. If you are 10 years old and it's your first film (after being brought up by Nickelodeon and Disney for 10 years) then maybe The Maze Runner might impress. Shallow, cliched, and very improbable. 4/10

Alex

I saw it on a date, does that let me of the hook?

The moment when the hero hysterically cried for Chuck is when the movie went from a 5/10 to a 4/10. I couldn't believe my eyes and I immediately ordered a new set of foam bricks.

The-Maze-Runner-character-cards-Blake-Co

It would have been a better movie if they strove for the same grown up tone of The Hunger Games, which is a the obvious comparison. But it was very teeny instead, and the plot was disappointingly formulaic (little fat kid gets it at the end, lol). I was really expecting something better considering the mild sleeper status it seemed to achieve.

Edit: what Alex just highlighted

Yeah the chubby kid was marked for death.

But these are young adult movies Alex. Teenagers cry a lot.

I thought the premise was interesting. It was a briskly paced film with a short running time. The sets and effects were very competently done especially considering its budget and it has Patricia Clarkson.

I was expecting to hate it and was quite entertained with it.

So, is it supposed to be like Labyrinth meets The Goonies or something?

It's a teen angst movie (like The Hunger Games) but 'inspired' by Cube and The Matrix.

I thought the premise was interesting.

For me this was the other reason why it disappointed. I absolutely love the high concept of this sort of thing, but in the end it was revealed as being utterly improbable.

I agree with Stefancos about this film

I bet you cried with that Razzie moment.

I recall a wry smile since my prediction about the kids death came true.

The teenagers around me were sad, naturally.

And no my date wasn't a teenager...

When the girl arrived was when I knew exactly what I was watching. Till then it had a Lord of the Flies lite vibe, but they blew it. I can appreciate a good kids movie, but I really can't be doing with kids romance.

When the girl arrived was when I knew exactly what I was watching.

Another non-character.

Maze Runner was about on par with Divergent

True but that was a bad movie too.

Even the kid thought it was 'meh' and he's the target audience!

Alex

When the girl arrived was when I knew exactly what I was watching. Till then it had a Lord of the Flies lite vibe, but they blew it. I can appreciate a good kids movie, but I really can't be doing with kids romance.

Got your heart broken age 19 Lee?

Did you really think you would be together forever?

Were any of these actors really under 20? Seemed like the usual group of 25 year olds playing younger, ala Beverly Hills 90210

A lot of movies we discuss on this board are meant for even younger crowds ( Pixar, Dreamworks animated films, Harry Potter...)

Maze Runner was always coherent within it's own universe without major plot holes to distract you, and kept you guessing at what was going to happen