What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Begorrah - don't hear that one in conversation much. 

he's got the gift of the gab! - that's just something we sell to the yanks. 

I'd love to know where all this fake Irish slang and sayings comes from. I have not once heard the words "top of the morning to ya" out of the lips of any Irish person ever.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, also, that tulip looks lovely but that smell of weed is disgusting. 

Now if youll excuse me I'm off to the pub. It's nearly three in the afternoon on a Wednesday after all! 

tumblr_oaiy14hLvj1tjicb1o1_500.gif (500×300)

The Girl On The Train (2016)

Meh, not worth it.  Right away, you can tell this is a movie based on a book: Not only because the main character is narrating, but also just the whole staging of the story, and what the story basically is.  (Basically: A girl who rides a train from the suburbs to the city every day sees something suspicious out the window and gets involved in a murder case).  The film never elevates about that feeling at all - there's no interesting cinematic qualities here, its all pretty straightforward.

Emily Blunt has been great in other things, but is kind of wasted here as she plays an alcoholic who is mopey and drunk for the first half of the movie, and trying to convince everyone of wrongdoings for the second half of the movie.  After she was so crazy hot in Edge of Tomorrow, its disappointing to see here here, they make her look bloated, drunk, and trod-upon almost the entire movie.  As the film went on, so many instantly recognizable people showed up - Laura Prepon as her roomate!  Justin Theroux as her ex-husband!  Rebecca Ferguson as his new wife! Bard from The Hobbit as their neighbor! Allison Janney as a cop! Lisa Kudrow as her exhusband's old boss!  And this ended up being the second film we watched last week with Haley Bennett, who play the hot farmer's wife in Magnificent Seven and the hot sexpot in this.

The-Girl-on-the-Train-Official-Teaser-Trailer2.png (802×402)

Meh, I thought after Magnificent Seven she might be a new young starlet to watch, but now I'm not so sure.

The biggest problem the film has besides its boring direction is the plot; It's one of those movies where there's a murder, and there's only so many characters, so you know its going to be one of them....

One aspect I did like was Danny Elfman's score!  I hadn't listened to the album or anything beforehand, so I was surprised it even WAS Danny Elfman - if his name wasn't in the opening credits, I might not have guessed it.  It sounds very much like a the modern film score you'd expect a film like this to have, with very little Elfman trademarks.  But the thing is, it doesn't sound generic at all - he takes the tropes that a lot of modern generic scores have, but makes them his own actually goes interesting places.  Looking forward to listening to the album!

I've watched two incredibly bizarre films this past week.

Anomalisa

anomalisa-xlarge.jpgI maintain my stance that Kaufman directing his own scripts is simply too much Kaufman. Something about having a director lens his work does immense wonders for his narratives. Or maybe he's just lost it a bit? I don't know, but Anomalisa is quite the interesting allegory for mundane life and love. It's portrayed really well in that all the other stop motion dolls besides the two leads have the same face and are voiced by the same actor to create this boring sameness to everyone in the world. This backdrop is used to represent how much Michael hates his life. He doesn't realize how mediocre everything is until he meets Lisa, an anomaly who has a different face and different voice. Get it? *nudge nudge* The whole thing is more or less one long scene in a hotel, and there's a good dose of black comedy to keep it watchable, but ultimately I didn't really get anything out of it. Carter Burwell's score is great, though.

The Lobster

the-lobster.jpg

Possibly one of the weirdest films I have ever seen. Like Anomalisa, it's an unconventional love story at its core, but the way its told is so strange and brutal you can't help but admire it? Film is set in a dystopian future, The City, where being single is illegal. If you break up or end up alone through whatever means, you are arrested and sent to The Hotel, where you have 45 days to meet someone and fall in love. If you are unsuccessful, you are turned into the animal of your choice and released into The Woods. At certain intervals during your stay, all those still single are released into The Woods to hunt each other with tranquilizer guns. If you manage to bag someone, their remaining days left are added to yours and they are immediately turned into an animal. It's unlike anything I've ever seen and very Kubrickian in a subtle sort of way. Reminded me a lot of A Clockwork Orange in certain instances, with interspersed scenes of slow motion and classical music used as score. There's a solid sense of direction and visual storytelling, with a great cast to boot. Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, Ben Wishaw, and John C. Reilly all deliver great performances. I loved that there were only 3 different locations, all distinct from each other but belonging to the same universe. While this is certainly a black comedy, it teeters over to flat out disturbing most of the time. I was infinitely fascinated by this film but on the other hand I can't say I enjoyed watching it. Not in that it wasn't good but that it was just so out there and off beat. Recommended but be prepared, don't think the average person could sit through this and be entertained.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Script by Emma Thompson, score by Rachel Portman.

I happen to dislike Ghostbusters, so I'll probably never see the new one, but I'd watch one written by Emma Thompson in a heartbeat.

Was definitely shattered while watching it, but it could just be that I was also finding it boring. I'll say for sure on Thursday. The opening at the orphanage is pure Spielberg and was brilliant, but once we moved to Giant Country things suddenly became rather mundane, and uninteresting. Which wasn't really what I expected. 

8 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

A movie about Hollywood, showered with awards by Hollyweird!

God, an actress defends a disabled person and suddenly Hollywood is stupid and weird?!

I don't belong! See, I think that, from a financial point of view, Hollywood is smart mainly by keeping the audience stupid. That's right, you don't want me in your party! I would be a bad, very bad asset.