What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

But Cranston was Malcolm's dad and Tim Watley long before Walter White!

Before Dallas, Patrick Duffy was the Man From Atlantis, but people will always see him as Bobby Ewing. :rimshot:

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Before Dallas, Patrick Duffy was the Man From Atlantis, but people will always see him as Bobby Ewing. :rimshot:

Since I don't remember Dallas from my formative youth, he'll always be Frank Lambert to me, whose family taught us to make chocolate milk without a glass. 

1 hour ago, petaQ said:

Since I don't remember Dallas from my formative youth, he'll always be Frank Lambert to me, whose family taught us to make chocolate milk without a glass. 

Unknown in Europe, I'm afraid. Nah, the world knows him as Bobby Ewing. It's what will be written on his tombstone.

Even this is more famous than this Frank Lambert you think is so huge.

Yes, Suzanne Somers, the lady who sold exercise equipment or routines or something, maybe the Thighmaster. You don't see most of the children in showbiz anymore, and the daughters were cuties.  I stand corrected, Christine Lakin is still active and is gorgeous.  

ARRIVAL. 

Wow, this was very underwhelming for me. Did I miss something? 

The movie to me is the definition of half baked ideas. To its credit the movie keeps you interested for most of it's running time, but it does so by keeping everything a mystery ("why are the aliens here?"). This sense of craving for enlightenment will vanish on repeat viewings I'm sure. 

But the biggest problem is really that the ideas presented have no head or tail... it's just sort of thrown into the mix. You have aliens who land, and in the end all that happens is that they want to pass on some advanced form of communication so that mankind can help them in 3000 years from now. And this idea suddenly pivots to Amy Adams having a non-linear perception of time. And the big twist is that all her flashbacks were actually flash forwards. What's the main theme here? That she consciously chose to have a baby and spend some wonderful loving time together, knowing that the child will die before she's an adult? There is no proper development of this theme to generate any lasting emotional resonance. The movie just pivots from an alien contact movie, to non-linear perception of time, to a woman making her choices even though she knows what happens in the future. None of these are well developed (actually the alien contact was quite well developed but it led to some sorely lackluster ideas in the end). 

Btw, has there ever been a film adaptation of Slaughterhouse-Five? Is there another either movie that explores non-linear perception of time?

Edit: just noticed I used pivot two times here... A result of watching too much Silicon Valley lately. 

Gotta measure your tip to tip efficiency! 

I don't think you missed anything, no; you understood everything that happened. You just didn't like it. 

It kinda loses steam towards the end, having a first half that is absolutely stunning in my opinion. There's a particular line by Renner towards the end that kinda throws the whole movie down -it almost feels like it's from another film altogether- but all in all I enjoyed the heck out of it.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hide contents

"Wanna go make a baby" or whatever the exact phrasing was, I assume.

Ok I remember that one. Too on the nose, although to me it wasn't one of the main problems of the movie. Another line from Tenner was something like:

finding out about her was more surprising that finding out about the aliens

That was also a bit cringey, especially since Renner's presence was almost non-existent throughout the film. At times I was wondering what purpose did he serve in the narrative, him being so useless in the first 2/3 of the movie. 

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Hide contents

"Wanna go make a baby" or whatever the exact phrasing was, I assume.

Spoiler

I don't think it's a weird line at all to say to your wife if you're already trying for a baby.  It's clearly meant to be a silly, sweet line.  When you're trying for a baby, you're not exactly going for mystique or coyness.  It would probably have been the, like, 5th night in a row during her peak ovulation time ;) 

Anyway, I loved Arrival when I saw it last year and thought Amy Adams gave an amazing performance.  Screw the haters!

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hide contents

He said that before they had even kissed, though.

Guess I need to see it again.  In my memory, that line came when it flashed forward to them standing in that room in her house with the glass panel wall, presumably after they were married.

I need to add that button back into the mobile view, it got removed at some point 

Oh boy ; I added stuff but now things are all out of order. I'll have to fix it when I'm at a computer and not my phone

15 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Add to that a ridiculous and unintentionally hilarious way to solve the climax...

Reveal hidden contents

If that happened in real life China would have nuked the aliens, proceeded to accuse the US of spying on even deathbed conversations, and then nuked the US too. 

The whole international policitcs in this movie felt very shallow. 

You're referring to Interstellar as the movie with a similar twist? I didn't love Interstellar, but on balance I think that one pulled it off much better than this. Probably need to watch that one again though.

The Big Short

Pretty great film. Comedic and to some extent enjoyable, but mostly just haunting. 

Stuff like this helps me better understand the cynicism over the "establishment" that's so rampant these days, I suppose. 

7 hours ago, Hurmm said:

Hide contents

If that happened in real life China would have nuked the aliens, proceeded to accuse the US of spying on even deathbed conversations, and then nuked the US too. 

The whole international policitcs in this movie felt very shallow.

Indeed.

7 hours ago, Hurmm said:

Hide contents

You're referring to Interstellar as the movie with a similar twist? I didn't love Interstellar, but on balance I think that one pulled it off much better than this. Probably need to watch that one again though.

Yep, that's the one, and I didn't love that one either, but yes, it pulled the twist in a better way, and the emotions felt more genuine.

The Lego Batman Movie - fantastically animated and a damn sight funnier than many recent 'adult' comedies. Just try to pick a screening that won't be full of bloody kids, the disruptive little shits will only ruin it (mine was a morning screening at which a guy had to take his kids out halfway through because they wouldn't just stay in their seats and watch the movie ... God knows what the afternoon ones will be like).

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Ahh, I see! 

Hidden Figures

Terrific. Very cliche, of course ... that almost goes without saying! But wonderful feel good stuff, if not something that will live with me for quite as long as some other films. Costner is terrific too. 

Score and songs were very effective in the film, although a little boring on album. 

3 minutes ago, Will said:

Hidden Figures

Terrific. Very cliche, of course ... that almost goes without saying! But wonderful feel good stuff, if not something that will live with me for quite as long as some other films. Costner is terrific too.  

I used the phrase "entertainingly old-fashioned" in my blurb earlier in the thread.  Super enjoyable film.  I was very impressed with the three lead actresses.  I suppose Jim Parsons was ok too in the thankless role of the guy who wants to hold the women back from achieving positions of authority.

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Just try to pick a screening that won't be full of bloody kids, the disruptive little shits will only ruin it 

Goes to a kid's movie, sad because there are kids there doing kid things.