Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

So, getting back to the ominous Death motif, since I got my piano book today as well, could it be that motif popping up here and there that I could never place, like at the end of Courage And Wisdom on oboe, after the final statement of Tauriel's/Legolas' theme, and in Sons of Durin, the passage before the grand statement of Erebor kicks in (around 2:05).

Isn't it just the soprano melody from "The Fallen"? Seems like the most obvious candidate.

The user specifically asked about OST tracks.

Doug forgot details about the LotR OSTs while burrowing through tons of recording sessions for the CRs. I don't think he's done that for the Hobbit yet.

Of course, no one does it better than Inky!

"Used to"! He barely does that anymore...

I miss those long posts :(

Yeah, what happened to me? :(

And not entirely for the better, Mr. Cosman.

Actually having a steady job where you stare the monitor all day leaves me usually kind of burned out on concentrated writing in the evenings.

The Hobbit music is all nice and interesting to theorize about but Doug's upcoming book which is the "official" word on the matter doesn't encourage me to write long essays on these scores as I would see them upstaged in every respect by the canonical sources when the book comes out.

BB is doing great work on his videos as that part of the puzzle is likely not discussed in the book and speculating on these different possibilities of how the music originally fit the movie or cut is fun and very illuminating.

I listened to this score last night and it seems to get stronger with each listen, partly because you start noticing the less obvious themes and little passages more clearly. I still hope the mix would be better as I am not too fond of the bass heavy detail obscuring one on the album as I have said a few times before.

Actually having a steady job where you stare the monitor all day leaves me usually kind of burned out on concentrated writing in the evenings.

Just quit your job, then.

Yes. This forum is far more important.

Neat!

1522648_10206003169661391_67275372558379

11157406_10205630195987160_3696025980061

Ooop, that second shot is from the DOS recording sessions - cue MR 255 is on the sheets

Well Conrad says as much in his comment:

10012430_10202792260560548_26467681_n.jp

Peter Jackson, the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, and I sharing a joke at the end of the recording of Howard Shore's score to "The Desolation of Smaug". " No harder job, no finer colleagues, no greater sense of relief at having crossed the "finish line". The working composer, orchestrator, conductor could ask for no finer- nor good humored and patient - group of collaborators than the NZSO. In the "film music business" there is no greater gift than "clarity" about what the director wants and his needs for his film, and Peter Jackson knew to the quaver and frame what he wanted, what he needed, and what he would accept. To have worked and to have delivered that to "PJ" is one of the finest moments- and most cherished- of my rather checkered career.

But there's one observation I had after reading/watching a lot of material. As much as Conrad Pope is willing to share his experiences and approach, he does say very little about Howard Shore's music itself. We don't know what he really thinks about the writing itself.

Karol

But there's one observation I had after reading/watching a lot of material. As much as Conrad Pope is willing to share his experiences and approach, he does say very little about Howard Shore's music itself. We don't know what he really thinks about the writing itself.

Karol

True. I seem to remember one of his prior comments to the NZSO where he remarked of wishing they could perform music better suited for them or something along those lines.

Well, I doubt he meant anything negative to them. Maybe he meant that they don't get "used enough" for projects like this. It can mean anything. I don't want to open a can of worms here, just a general observation.

I mean, he always says how good Desplat and Williams are even when working on their projects.

Karol

And of course everybody has to universally love these scores. Otherwise they will be thrown into the fiery pits of Mt. Doom! ;)

Is 1:44 in Battle For The Mountain, where it segues into Dain's B-phrase, an edit? Or was the film version, with the interlude of the Woodland Realm theme created editorially?

Is it possible there is not an edit at 1:44 in the track, and your album version video is close to the way the footage was like when Shore originally scored the film in that area, and then later PJ decided to add a bunch more shit in that area of the film so the additional music got written?

We should take into consideration that they did compile the OSTs with listenability in mind so tweaks and edits to the material are all possible and likely.

Is it possible there is not an edit at 1:44 in the track, and your album version video is close to the way the footage was like when Shore originally scored the film in that area, and then later PJ decided to add a bunch more shit in that area of the film so the additional music got written?

What Barny said.

I doubt that originally, the Dwarves charged the Orcs without the Elves joining the battle.

Who knows, with computers you can do anything and second guess to your heart's content!

The footage used in BB's video might not be the footage Shore wrote that music to, either. There's a lot we don't know about BOFA.

Well whatever he scored might not be in that cut of the film either. There was a lot of footage in DOS he scored that wasn't used in either version of the film; Based on the amount of Missing Footage cards you had to use for your BOFA videos, I expect there to be even more this time

Don't always be so critical Stefan!

What?

EE refers to longer cuts of the films.

CR refers to expanded score CDs.

As for how much music is missing: Over an hour for AUJ, maybe 30 minutes for DOS, and we don't know about BOFA, but at least 30 for sure.

Look who's talking. Bashing these films at any turn!

Hey I had to wait for your disgruntled post like forever to make that accusing finger pointing post! You are usually cheerful and sugary as cotton candy when it comes to these films! ;)

I think there could be a possibility that the dwarves were charging the orcs first without the elves, to give them a heroic moment, and the elves charge after Gandalf says "This is madness!"

In any case, the Woodland Realm statement in that moment is definitely original, and not tracked, right?

In any case, the Woodland Realm statement in that moment is definitely original, and not tracked, right?

I think it is a new recording at least.

Hey I had to wait for your disgruntled post like forever to make that accusing finger pointing post! You are usually cheerful and sugary as cotton candy when it comes to these films! ;)

Ive so far been among the first to review them and the first to point out their flaws!

I just don't drone on about them for 3 years.

But year the last score is a huge letdown. Nothing but a repetition of what was already there, almost nothing new brought to the table.

What a contrast with ROTK

Steef's Hobbit posts are so sugary they make me sick!

I had no idea I saw so obsessed with Azog's war beasts...thank you for exposing this unhealthy interest

Now just imagine what I'm going to do if the bastard things aren't in the EE