Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Funny story ....

When the timing sheets were prepared for the DOS score, whoever was typing them up kept referring to Bard's oldest daughter as his wife. Shore had to send a handwritten note saying, "Hey, that's his daughter!"

Shore is very precise with these things when it comes to Middle-earth (and I assume just in general as well). All part of the tremendous care and throught he obviously put into these works. :)

Yeah, like using the Gondor Reborn theme for Bilbo and Thorin hugging!

Very funny BB. Don't lay blame on Shore's door for that!

Pope's role in these scores still seems to be misunderstood.

Perhaps more deliberately lampooned in these parts even when people know the true extent of his involvement and role.

What was Robert Ziegler's role in AUJ?

Ooh a good question!

He conducted a few pickup sessions at the very end when time grew tight and Shore needed to concentrate on writing.

They'd collaborated in a similar manner on Hugo.

I wouldn't think so either; I'm sure it was all the last-minute rewrites PJ wanted for the final picture

Do you know if Shore or Ziegler conducted the great Reclamation of Nature moment at the end of the film that isn't on the OST (and showed up again in BOFA) ?

I wouldn't think so either; I'm sure it was all the last-minute rewrites PJ wanted for the final picture

Do you know if Shore or Ziegler conducted the great Reclamation of Nature moment at the end of the film that isn't on the OST (and showed up again in BOFA) ?

I don't know the exact passages, but it was all last act/finale stuff, so it's very possible.

Interesting.

Ziegler likely conducted the Nazgul theme for Thorin's log walk too, then.

Was the Dwarf Lords melody heard twice on the AUJ soundtrack originally planned to be much more prominent in the subsequent films?

This is where you can find it, Doug :)

The Dwarf Lords
AUJ 1-03 Axe or Sword 3:43-4:04 (B Section)
AUJ 2-16 The Dwarf Lords 0:00-0:37
AUJ 2-16 The Dwarf Lords 0:57-1:35
AUJ 2-16 The Dwarf Lords 1:35-1:57 (B Section)

Was the Dwarf Lords melody heard twice on the AUJ soundtrack originally planned to be much more prominent in the subsequent films?

It was meant to play a larger role overall, but nothing was written for DOS or BOFA while it was still in play, so it's impossible to know for certain what it might have done in those scores.

This was sort of a quest theme (the titles for the theme pieces on the album were all assigned after the fact and have little to no bearing on what the themes actually represented), and as such it functioned similarly to Misty Mountains. It's entirely possible that, like Misty Mountains, the theme wouldn't haven survived to DOS or BOFA.

EDIT: Sorry, this was referring to the "Erebor" theme track (which, similarly, was not a theme for Erebor). Same general answer applies to all the Dwarf theme pieces, however.

Very interesting.

Is Gandalf's secondary theme (or second part of his theme), the longer phrase heard most clearly at the opening of Radagast the Brown (after his short motif) on the AUJ soundtrack, for some specific quality of Gandalf or his mission or just another way of adding to the variety to the musical depiction of Gandalf in the Hobbit given his more active mover-and-shaker role?

This is where you can find it, Doug :)

The Dwarf Lords
AUJ 1-03 Axe or Sword 3:43-4:04 (B Section)
AUJ 2-16 The Dwarf Lords 0:00-0:37
AUJ 2-16 The Dwarf Lords 0:57-1:35
AUJ 2-16 The Dwarf Lords 1:35-1:57 (B Section)

There are rescued bits from the theme compositions in all three Hobbit scores. None really has any particular thematic connection anymore, however. LOTR was the same way. Early ideas often popped up elsewhere and were repurposed. Very common practice for all composers, not just film.

Btw, one the major Dwarf themes in AUJ began life as a Dol Guldur theme! Shore reshaped it and made it Dwarf-ier.

Very interesting.

Is Gandalf's secondary theme, the longer phrase heard most clearly at the opening of Radagast the Brown after his short motif on the AUJ soundtrack, for some specific quality of Gandalf or his mission or just another way of adding to the variety to the musical depiction of Gandalf in the Hobbit given his more active mover-and-shaker role?

That's not a secondary Gandalf theme. It has a broader application.

That fragment of the "Dwarf Lords" theme in "Axe or Sword" plays when someone asks Balin where Thorin is, and Balin says he's at a meeting of the dwarf lords, so it all made sense - and you can see why we expected it to reappear when Dain did.

Very interesting.

Is Gandalf's secondary theme, the longer phrase heard most clearly at the opening of Radagast the Brown after his short motif on the AUJ soundtrack, for some specific quality of Gandalf or his mission or just another way of adding to the variety to the musical depiction of Gandalf in the Hobbit given his more active mover-and-shaker role?

It's an Istari theme!

But does it even appear in the subsequent films? I can't remember a single instance where the theme would be recognizably present in DoS or BotFA.

Very interesting.

It's an Istari theme!

But does it even appear in the subsequent films? I can't remember a single instance where the theme would be recognizably present in DoS or BotFA.

It's in BOFA. Heavily varied, but very recognizable. Listen to Gandalf's final moments in the score.

Very interesting.

It's an Istari theme!

It's in BOFA. Heavily varied, but very recognizable. Listen to Gandalf's final moments in the score.

Now I have to start combing through the soundtrack (again!). ;)

EDIT: Well blimey! It is there! Sometimes this glossary of themes deafens you to these smaller gestures. Or perhaps makes a regular listener guessing between themes. Naturally context is important.

Another nice find! Thanks Doug!

I did speculate that the music which plays over the quiet moment between Gandalf and Bilbo was very reminiscent of it, and some of you concurred.

Btw, one the major Dwarf themes in AUJ began life as a Dol Guldur theme! Shore reshaped it and made it Dwarf-ier.

I assuming this was House of Durin? ;)

I assuming this was House of Durin? ;)

No.

Very interesting.

It's an Istari theme!

Now I have to start combing through the soundtrack (again!). ;)

EDIT: Well blimey! It is there! Sometimes this glossary of themes deafens you to these smaller gestures. Or perhaps makes a regular listener guessing between themes. Naturally context is important.

Another nice find! Thanks Doug!

One of my favorite sequences in all three scores. Very simple, but so tonally perfect.

one the major Dwarf themes in AUJ began life as a Dol Guldur theme! Shore reshaped it and made it Dwarf-ier.

"major" dwarf themes in AUJ? Wouldn't the only "major" AUJ dwarf-related themes be Erebor, Thorin, and Misty Mountains?

I did speculate that the music which plays over the quiet moment between Gandalf and Bilbo was very reminiscent of it, and some of you concurred.

I must have missed or forgotten this. Can you ever forgive me for not noticing this nugget of wisdom and insight?

one the major Dwarf themes in AUJ began life as a Dol Guldur theme! Shore reshaped it and made it Dwarf-ier.

"major" dwarf themes in AUJ? Wouldn't the only "major" AUJ dwarf related themes be Erebor, Thorin, and Misty Mountains?

No.

It's related to The Nine from DOS, right?

I must have missed or forgotten this. Can you every forgive me for not noticing this nugget of wisdom and insight?

I'll be honest - probably not. But you earn points for suggesting a provided a 'nugget of wisdom and insight'. I'm sure I wasn't the first to notice it mind you.

Well there is the motif that I think TGP calls the moonlight theme, that I call THE DIGNITY OF DWARVES.

Then thee is what Jay calls the Company's A theme (?)

"major" dwarf themes in AUJ? Wouldn't the only "major" AUJ dwarf related themes be Erebor, Thorin, and Misty Mountains?

No.

The theme I call the "Journey theme"?

The Company’s Journey Theme

AUJ 1-08 The World Is Ahead 2:01-2:16

AUJ 2-17 Edge of the Wild 0:00-0:48

Indeed :)

Thorin’s Pride
AUJ 1-01 My Dear Frodo 6:29-7:00
AUJ 1-01 My Dear Frodo 7:22-7:47
AUJ 1-13 A Troll-hoard 0:44-0:56
AUJ 1-13 A Troll-hoard 1:50-2:03
AUJ 1-13 A Troll-hoard 2:14-2:19
DOS 1-06 Flies and Spiders 8:37-8:56
DOS 1-07 The Woodland Realm 0:00-0:11
DOS 1-07 The Woodland Realm 2:21-2:43

Indeed :)

Thorin’s Pride
AUJ 1-01 My Dear Frodo 6:29-7:00
AUJ 1-01 My Dear Frodo 7:22-7:47
AUJ 1-13 A Troll-hoard 0:44-0:56
AUJ 1-13 A Troll-hoard 1:50-2:03
AUJ 1-13 A Troll-hoard 2:14-2:19
DOS 1-06 Flies and Spiders 8:37-8:56
DOS 1-07 The Woodland Realm 0:00-0:11
DOS 1-07 The Woodland Realm 2:21-2:43

But aren't those two latter DoS variations more Thranduil related? At least this is the picture I got from BotFa where the motif has been used exlusively for him.

Yup, I initially simply called it Thranduil's theme until you all convinced it was related to Thorin's Pride from AUJ.

Then of course it shows up in BOFA when Thranduil's on screen, vindicating me!

Yup, I initially simply called it Thranduil's theme until you all convinced it was related to Thorin's Pride from AUJ.

Then of course it shows up in BOFA when Thranduil's on screen, vindicating me!

We know! We are sssssorrry Precioussss! We dos what it askssss! We will call it Thranduil's Pride, Precioussss!

My theme list is massively out of date, it all needs to be updated.

Especially if Doug's book will be out by Christmas!

Anyways, I remember the discussion was that it was more of a "Dwarf vs Elves" theme, showing up when Thorin is pissed off about elves, and when Thranduil's around (who is always pissed off at Thorin)

0:10, listen to the bass.

I think that is just Hobbit music much like the stuff when Bilbo is sneaking about in his home in FotR and in the Hobbit.