Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Is there any chance The Hobbit book will have a Rarities CD inside like the LOTR book?

It would be a nice way to release the music for Thorin's funeral, and other BOFA EE cues, not to mention a lot of great AUJ music that got left off that film's OST (and of course, the DOS EE cues such as Beorn's intro, extended Mirkwood, and The World of Men chase sequence).

Doug, if you're still answering questions, what does Howard Shore like on his pizza?

Hawaiian style.

Thank god, I thought I was going to have to wait for the book to find out!

The Favourite Recipes of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit Films Composer?

No book on this subject is complete without a chapter on the culinary habits of Ludwig 'I must eat spaghetti' Wicki.

Is there any chance The Hobbit book will have a Rarities CD inside like the LOTR book?

It would be a nice way to release the music for Thorin's funeral, and other BOFA EE cues, not to mention a lot of great AUJ music that got left off that film's OST.

Always a chance, but nothing currently in the pipeline.

Doug, if you're still answering questions, what does Howard Shore like on his pizza?

Hawaiian style.

No book on this subject is complete without a chapter on the culinary habits of Ludwig 'I must eat spaghetti' Wicki.

Solid point. Ludwig's eating habits are far more entertaining.

Hawaiian style.

It will be in the Rarities section of the book naturally. The Hawaiian style pizza will get a chapter or two at least I wager.

The sixth book must chronicle Shore's epic showdown with Sir Conrad of Pope inside Wellington Town Hall. And it need be written in the old Norse saga style.

The sixth book must chronicle Shore's epic showdown with Sir Conrad of Pope inside Wellington Town Hall. And it need be written in the old Norse saga style.

I could do it Kalevala meter of trochaic tetrameter!

Scratch the book, I think a documentary on Shore and Wicki's eating habits is in order!

So Doug anything else Hobbit music related in the pipeline except for the book of course?

A travelog of Wicki's globetrotting conducing all the score concerts he does would be interesting

I could do it Kalevala meter of trochaic tetrameter!

I have no idea what that means but it sounds great. You're hired.

Not sure if you would know Doug, but any chance of the LOTR concerts coming up to Canada anytime soon? I know some new dates were announced, but once again, they curiously evade the North!

Not sure if you would know Doug, but any chance of the LOTR concerts coming up to Canada anytime soon? I know some new dates were announced, but once again, they curiously evade the North!

The whole of North. Nothing upcoming here either as far as I know.

So doug anything else Hobbit music related in the pipeline except for the book of course?

Book? :)

There are two of them?!!!

they curiously evade the North!

It's because of Angband.

So doug anything else Hobbit music related in the pipeline except for the book of course?

Book? :)

There are two of them?!!!

d1596232856e39ad3f43c2bad2fa847bc02e817f

The whole of North. Nothing upcoming here either as far as I know.

Always important to note that, in general, it's the orchestras that book these concerts. Want it to play locally? Contact your local a-list orchestra. That's almost always how the ball gets rolling.

Hey Doug, while you are here, I have a question:

Do you remember what happened in the scene that Howard scored for DOS concerning him and Thrain with a palantir, that PJ ultimately decided not to restore to the EE of the film?

Do you remember any dialogue, or what vision Gandalf saw in the palantir?

Hey Doug, while you are here, I have a question:

Do you remember what happened in the scene that Howard scored for DOS concerning him and Thrain with a palantir, that PJ ultimately decided not to restore to the EE of the film?

Do you remember any dialogue, or what vision Gandalf saw in the palantir?

I do, but I think the filmmakers would prefer to control how and when this would be discussed. I will be respectful of that.

On a related note, Doug - can you tell us if the original cut of the Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut (we'll call it that) you saw included scenes other than the Palantir one which also didn't make the eventual Extended Edition we got? A simple yes or no would suffice.

EDIT: Mmm. Interesting. I suppose that makes sense, given that it wasn't scored with Smaug's themes. We may never know! That said, I recall reading something about Gandalf seeing a vision of Bilbo in peril during a battle, and having to save him (I think it was this - could be the other way round), and that this would later materialize in the Battle of the Five Armies proper.

Hmm, perhaps it something to do with Thorin and the Dragon-Sickness, or The One Ring...

On a related note, Doug - can you tell us if the original cut of the Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut (we'll call it that) you saw included scenes other than the Palantir one which also didn't make the eventual Extended Edition we got? A simple yes or no would suffice.

EDIT: Mmm. Interesting. I suppose that makes sense, given that it wasn't scored with Smaug's themes. We may never know! That said, I recall reading something about Gandalf seeing a vision of Bilbo in peril during a battle, and having to save him (I think it was this - could be the other way round), and that this would later materialize in the Battle of the Five Armies proper.

I think that--and the material surrounding it--was the only thing that didn't make the EE.

That said, it wasn't just tossed. The whole sequence was reworked. Palantir wouldn't fit in the final version of the film.

It must have gone at quite a late stage then. I'm hoping it might resurface in some form in the BOTFA: EE, given that it was mentioned in that film's Chronicles book. Though the only way it would really fit (with the Smaug vision) is at the very beginning of the film, so I can't see it being used. Shame.

That said, it wasn't just tossed. The whole sequence was reworked. Palantir wouldn't fit in the final version of the film.

So, to be clear, you mean that the whole Dol Guldur sequence was re-edited, and the Palantir scene would not fit into that new edit, not that the Palantir sequnece was reworked for a different context right?

So, to be clear, you mean that the whole Dol Guldur sequence was re-edited, and the Palantir scene would not fit into that new edit, not that the Palantir sequnece was reworked for a different context right?

Correct.

Sorry Doug, one last film-related question (since you're possibly our only realistic chance of knowing this) - did you ever see a pre-release 'extended' cut of An Unexpected Journey? And if so, do you recall anything unique about this compared to the eventual Extended Edition?

There was some other DOS stuff ultimately not restored to the EE.

For example:

9:25-end of Flies and Spiders (Bilbo watching the company get capture by the elves?)

0:00-0:09 of The Woodland Realm (more of the same?)

Some short scene after The Master "welcome, welcome, welcome's" the company after Thorin's promise of wealth, that Bard's theme was used for - no idea what this could be?

And also Bilbo avoiding the smashing hammers during My Armor Is Iron

Sorry Doug, one last film-related question (since you're possibly our only realistic chance of knowing this) - did you ever see a pre-release 'extended' cut of An Unexpected Journey? And if so, do you recall anything unique about this compared to the eventual Extended Edition?

I did. Largely the same save for temp fx and a few editorial differences in the finale.

Thanks. With that in mind, I'm interested to know why Jackson was talking about the EE for AUJ being 20-25 minutes longer just after the film came out, if he already had an idea of the difference (I know that's not something you can answer of course). I figured maybe at that stage it was planned for the High Fells scene to be included, though that still wouldn't make up the difference.

There was some other DOS stuff ultimately not restored to the EE.

For example:

9:25-end of Flies and Spiders (Bilbo watching the company get capture by the elves?)

0:00-0:09 of The Woodland Realm (more of the same?)

Some short scene after The Master "welcome, welcome, welcome's" the company after Thorin's promise of wealth, that Bard's theme was used for - no idea what this could be?

And also Bilbo avoiding the smashing hammers during My Armor Is Iron

I did see the DOS hammers. Not really a sequence. Just a few shots. Very Droid Factory-esque.

Doug do you know if a "traditional"* prologue was ever planned for the third Hobbit movie?

*IE, one that flashes back to events prior to the main narrative (as was done in the previous 5 films), instead of jumping right into the current narrative as the Theatrical Cut of BOFA does.

Good point.

How about something about the music!

It's been discussed how the Plan 9 "Misty Mountains" theme disappears after AUJ because The Company is over the Misty Mountains, and "House of Durin" is more appropriate now for their adventures, etc.

But what about Bilbo's personal themes introduced in AUJ? The Baggins/Took theme, the Fussy theme, his Adventure theme? Why do those go away too?

Doug do you know if a "traditional"* prologue was ever planned for the third Hobbit movie?

*IE, one that flashes back to events prior to the main narrative (as was done in the previous 5 films), instead of jumping right into the current narrative as the Theatrical Cut of BOFA does.

Not that I ever saw, no.

I'm resisting the urge to ask Doug anything about the BOTFA: EE, since I know what the answer will be.

"Fuck off!"?

Something like that yes

Bummer.

I was hoping there'd be a better setup for Radagast getting Elrond, Galadriel, and Saruman to come to Dol Goldur somewhere.

Could I get away with a music question about the BOTFA: EE Doug? For example, can we look forward to any more renditions of House of Durin? Obviously, you aren't to know if they'll be dialled out in the EE proper!

Doesn't Bilbo's theme appear at 4:04-end of The Return Journey?