Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

The search engine is very easy to use. You can type one word and one username, and see every post where that user used that word.

I was joking. I didn't really think BB was that obsessed with me (sadly)

Show me a web forum where you can search for things less than 3 letters.

BB keeps tabs on all of us. He's especially keen on newer members, so he can manipulate them to bend to his will (though you're not really new now Barny). He sure tried that on me in my first year here!

I concur with most of your points BB, only I wouldn't have Bolg killing Fili and Fili. I'd share the wealth.

The only crumb of hope I have for an Ered Luin meeting is a recent interview with Richard Armitage where he mentioned having a few scenes with Billy Connolly. It's only one in the current version, and to be honest I don't really see how the two could have anymore interaction on the battlefield as things stand.

Billy was around for a while waiting to shoot - as we all were - and we had some good scenes to shoot together.

Unless it's Robert Crumb.

I think, if we're going the Dain killing Bolg route, it might be an idea if Bolg kills Nain in our proposed super amazing Azanulbizar flashback. Just to add extra spice to it. It's all about the vengeance.

Actually, they should have just made a whole film detailing the events of Durin's Folk and some of the backstory mentioned in The Hobbit, and then made two films based on events of The Hobbit proper. That would have been truly amazing. Fuck Bilbo.

Yeah but let's just omit him entirely from this first film. No one will miss him if we have sexy Dwarves, Orcs and a Dragon running around.

This used to be such a merry gathering

a-merry-gathering.jpg

I will say though that Dain's theme captures the tone of Dwarf Lords pretty accurately.

What I would really like to hear is the theme from Edge Of The Wild scoring either the Sons of Durin scene or Bilbo's journey home montage.

Also, didn't Doug say about the DoS score that there is a hint of a Dale theme in there somewhere? If so, what is it, and most importantly, what is the Dale theme in BOTFA?

I will say though that Dain's theme captures the tone of Dwarf Lords pretty accurately.

What I would really like to hear is the theme from Edge Of The Wild scoring either the Sons of Durin scene or Bilbo's journey home montage.

Also, didn't Doug say about the DoS score that there is a hint of a Dale theme in there somewhere? If so, what is it, and most importantly, what is the Dale theme in BOTFA?

Yeah he didn't make any mention of Dale theme in the liner notes of BotFA. Perhaps he was refering to one of the new Bard themes?

When did he say that? The only thing I've heard him saying was that Shore hasn't written a Dale theme at the current time (after DOS?) in an interview with Tall Tale Radio.

There is no Dale theme.

Thanks for the clarification Doug. We can now rest easy on that subject and not fill page after page with futile speculation.

Thanks for the clarification Doug. We can now rest easy on that subject and not fill page after page with futile speculation.

Yeah, right!

On that particular theme Stefan. Otherwise we thrive on speculation here.

When did he say that? The only thing I've heard him saying was that Shore hasn't written a Dale theme at the current time (after DOS?) in an interview with Tall Tale Radio.

There is no Dale theme.

Hi Doug! :wave:

What does the choral music at the end of "Brass Buttons" that recurs in "Out of the Frying Pan" represent?

I had been wondering if that gentle piece we hear just before the Erebor theme in 'My Dear Frodo' would be developed into a Dale theme, but it didn't exactly seem particularly memorable (or malleable) anyway.

There is no Dale theme.

Hi Doug! :wave:

What does the choral music at the end of "Brass Buttons" that recurs in "Out of the Frying Pan" represent?

Variation on Thorin's harmony. Similar devices occur throughout all three scores.

Cool, thanks!

You recently tweeted that you recently finished 3 different books. Do you think any of them will be out by Christmas?

Thanks for that piece of info Doug!

Thorin's theme harmonies! It all makes sense now! :D

To be fair, it's more Dwarf harmony than just Thorin. His theme is not the only that uses it.

Cool, thanks!

You recently tweeted that you recently finished 3 different books. Do you think any of them will be out by Christmas?

Depends on how much abuse I can withstand this summer. ;)

To be fair, it's more Dwarf harmony than just Thorin. His theme is not the only that uses it.

Cool, thanks!

You control when the books come out more than the publishers do? Interesting!

I can't wait to see what they all are. I've heard you talk about the Silent Film era film score book on that TrackSounds podcast for 3 years in a row!

How's the weather in Chicago today?

Cool, thanks!

You control when the books come out more than the publishers do? Interesting!

I can't wait to see what they all are. I've heard you talk about the Silent Film era film score book on that TrackSounds podcast for 3 years in a row!

How's the weather in Chicago today?

Publishers set the goalposts, but I still need to ... uh, kick it in. I'm terrible at sports metaphors.

It's hot here today!

Doug, if you're still answering questions, what does Howard Shore like on his pizza?

Hawaiian style.

Hawaiian style! It all makes sense now! :D

I might be visiting Chicago for a hot minute this October. I visited two Octobers ago and loved it - what a great city!

I might be visiting Chicago for a hot minute this October. I visited two Octobers ago and loved it - what a great city!

Time it right and the trees should be gorgeous.

Doug, if you're still answering questions, what does Howard Shore like on his pizza?

Hawaiian style.

Thank god, I thought I was going to have to wait for the book to find out!

Hawaiian style.

That's the fifth book.

Hawaiian style.

The Favourite Recipes of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit Films Composer?