Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

So, I've seen many comments saying The Last Goodbye sounds quite similar to Into The West. Who agrees? Who disagrees? Answer... NOW!

it does and it doesn't.

To be honest, the song which the last goodbye reminds me most of is Use Well the Days, although the harmonic shifts and instrumentation are definitely somewhat reminiscent of Into the West. I like what I've heard of it, and think it will be the best end credits song of the trilogy. I wish Boyd's vocals were purer, as in Home is Behind, and less "pop". That bend he does on "I must away" is miserable. Still anything is better than Sheeran in my book.

So Thrain is indeed from the Desolation of Smaug EE. Wow. Some great stuff in there. Loving the return of the Uillean pipes in Ironfoot! Seems to be a lot of incidental music from the DOS soundtrack being elaborated upon, eg the escape from mirkwood buildup material appearing in "There and Back Again".

Some fabulous action music in Battle for the Mountain and To the Death. Love the development of Thorin and Erebor in The Ruins of Dale, Sons of Durin, and The Fallen.

This is going to be a great piece! Don't care much about the film, but colour me excited for the score.

Nice to have you back Tanny!

Thank you! I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

I wish Boyd's vocals were purer, as in Home is Behind, and less "pop". That bend he does on "I must away" is miserable.

Probably the difference between a "source" song and a end credits song sadly.

He's referring to the casual racism.

He's referring to the swearing.

which is it? ;)

90 second samples!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hobbit-battle-five-armies/id936881883?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Tauriel theme in action mode again in ravenhill!

Wierd Shire theme in the ruins of Dale.

Mirkwood theme in Gathering of the clouds?

This score sounds very dark, di Shore listen to Shadows of Mordor? ;)

90 second samples!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hobbit-battle-five-armies/id936881883?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Tauriel theme in action mode again in ravenhill!

Wierd Shire theme in the ruins of Dale.

Mirkwood theme in Gathering of the clouds?

This score sounds very dark, di Shore listen to Shadows of Mordor? ;)

I think he listened Peter Jackson. Kind of mandatory.

But yeah your observations seem spot on.

The Dragon Sickness motif is really prevalent throughout. I bet Thorin is going really crazy in the film.

Some really interesting percussion in this one as well. On the lighter side this time.

Ah the Clouds Burst features (perhaps expectedly) Dain's theme.

Battle for the Mountain, faintly reminds me of The Lion King

Shore giving in to the evil forces of Zimmer's blockbuster scoring?

To the death: rising chords of doom suite ;

)

Makes sense. ;)

Is that some kind of variation of Evil Times in Courage and Wisdom?

The Return Journey, sounds like Tides of hope a bit.

It is a much sombre ending coupled with There and Back Again than I had expected. I really thought something more upbeat and hobbity would end the score but of course the clips do not show everything.

And I too think that there is a bit of Into the West in the style and mood of Billy Boyd's song.

Some might hate that they went with the "bagpipes/Uillean pipes for dwarves" in the end but I actually have nothing against it. Ironfoot sounds very distinctive and cool.

To the death: rising chords of doom suite ;

)

Makes sense. ;)

Is that some kind of variation of Evil Times in Courage and Wisdom?

sounds ringy to me.

It is a much sombre ending coupled with There and Back Again than I had expected. I really thought something more upbeat and hobbity would end the score but of course the clips do not show everything.

perhaps it ends with him walking through Bag End remembering the events of AUJ? sort of like Frodo in ROTK?

Arkenstone in Dragon-sickness.

perhaps it ends with him walking through Bag End remembering the events of AUJ? sort of like Frodo in ROTK?

Arkenstone in Dragon-sickness.

It is more of a "veteran of war returns" home feel than a hobbit just coming back to the Shire. In a way it is the right direction as Bilbo is not the same hobbit that he was before and even the novel acknowledges that even though it ends on a happy note but musically I always love it when they return to the warmth comforts of the Shire themes.

What the heck is that Dragon-Sickness track? A theme suite or an unused cue or what?

Some might hate that they went with the "bagpipes/Uillean pipes for dwarves" in the end but I actually have nothing against it. Ironfoot sounds very distinctive and cool.

Not me! I love bagpipes a certain member of The Force.Net will be flustered though!

What the heck is that Dragon-Sickness track? A theme suite or an unused cue or what?

Perhaps its an alternate for one of the DOS tracks? maybe an unused EE scene? BOTFA EE?

Thrain has the healing music

Just started playing them!

Liking the extension of the Smaug material, with some dizis and Master of Laketown bits.

I wonder what the percussion instrument is in the beginning of Beyond Sorrow and Grief. Interesting string textures.

Liking the extension of the Smaug material, with some dizis and Master of Laketown bits.

where?

Loved the wierd Gia-esque percussion in Beyond Sorrow and Grief.

In Fire and Water and again in Shores of the Long Lake. Scurrying around, underneath the action.

Ooh, Mordor Skip-beat counterpoint Lothlorien. Hopefully an action variant will come soon into the track.

Ruins of Dale sounds like a really cool battle-prep cue, with some ring-like figures circling around. And Gandalf's theme is back!

Ooh, Mordor Skip-beat counterpoint Lothlorien.

I do not hear skip-beat at all.

skip-beat is the same music that we hear when Frodo is looking in the Mirror right?

The chinese flutes in Mithril are very eerie...and the detuned strings working to great effect again.

Is Smaug still around? Oooh cool twisted bit of Thorin at the end of that, followed by a hint of Arkenstone.

The chinese flutes in Mithril are very eerie...and the detuned strings working to great effect again.

Is Smaug still around? Oooh cool twisted bit of Thorin at the end of that, followed by a hint of Arkenstone.

What? I don't hear any of that.. are your samples longer? mine only last 30 seconds...

Ooh, Mordor Skip-beat counterpoint Lothlorien.

I do not hear skip-beat at all.

skip-beat is the same music that we hear when Frodo is looking in the Mirror right?

The skip-beat is the opening motif heard in the beginning of this:

Shore extrapolated that into one of the Necromancer themes.

What? I don't hear any of that.. are your samples longer? mine only last 30 seconds...

Are they not 90 seconds? They're longer than the amazon samples for sure.

Love Bred for War. Deliciously dark and evil.

Well I'm playing them off my iPad, where I managed to switch to the US iTunes store. I didn't pre-order. The time length doesn't show, but I'm pretty sure they're all 90 seconds of music.

I mean it's what you said!

By the way, it sounds like there a good deal of microedits in these tracks.

Nice Arkenstone quote in A Thief in the Night.

Never mind, playing with Itunes, and its 90 mins now!

Master of Laketown theme in Fire and Water is HILARIOUS! I bet the fam will be laughing a bit at that scene ;)

Dain's material in Battle for the Mountain. Really, his music is kicking some ass. This cue heralds back the RotK style heroism!

Shores of the Long Lake... Bards family?

I can hear a bit of FOTR sound in this now, more soft.

Yeah, I have no idea what the music stands for. Has a folksy vibe. I think it's a new theme. Just no clue for what.

The Darkest Hour. Yup, it's official. This might be one of my favourite cues of the score.

Choral statement of Laketown, wow! It's beautiful!

The Darkest Hour. Yup, it's official. This might be one of my favourite cues of the score.

SF1_freeze will hate it ;)

Lol Faleel, how are you getting through these so fast?! I seem to be really slow, need my time to digest what's going on.

SF1_freeze will hate it ;)

Of course, Djawadi could have done it a thousand times better ;)

DWARF LORDS!!

near the end of Darkest Hour.

Really? I don't remember that, I'll go back to it once I get the chance.