Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

I think (hope) we all recognize that FOTR is the best mix of the six, and one of the best film score mixes overall.

Maybe the OST, the CR has too much burieng of Choir that should not be buried (Shadow of the Past, The Ring Goes South EE version)

With the first trilogy, each score has a different sonic color/texture about it, and it feels like a totally conscious decision to suit the changing atmosphere of each film. They're all perfect for their films, they're all some of the greatest mix jobs in film music. With these new scores, it's like they just forgot how to properly record, mix, and master, and they tried a different method each time.

With these new scores, it's like they just forgot how to properly record, mix, and master, and they tried a different method each time.

Not to mention, AUJ had Simon Rhodes, while DOS and BOTFA had only Cobbin.

Exactly!

FotR has that wonderful bright, but still ancient sound that suited the adventure vibe of the film. TTT went for a moody ambience, and the RotK went for that louder brass-heavy sound to suit the scale of the picture. All very worthy of their respective films' personalities.

I'm assuming the recording/mixing team is different for these scores? Not sure why they couldn't just try and emulate the LotR setup at least...

Maybe it's a fine mix, I don't know, but I sure don't like it.

It probably is not, seeing how its been called out by more then just our little group here.

And Kurlander did the LotR scores right?

What, he didn't like NZ either? Must be something fishy about Wellington...

In the end, we can really blame PJ for all of this! ;)

Perhaps we are one and the same Alvar. Two faces of the same coin.

As you once said: we might be brothers!

Ahh, and I stand by that! Someday we may reunite and then troll this place together!

Yep, but he did not return for AUJ (but he did record the Choir sessions for the Zelda Twilight Symphony fan project

Uh, he recorded the Moria sequence as well!

With these new scores, it's like they just forgot how to properly record, mix, and master, and they tried a different method each time.

Not to mention, AUJ had Simon Rhodes, while DOS and BOTFA had only Cobbin.

I don't think Rhodes really "got" the "sound" of Middle-Earth though, like Kurlander did. So the result sounds to me like a typical blockbuster score. I think Cobbin actually does get it, having worked on LOTR, but they lacked someone with a really magic touch at the console to compensate for the change in spaces.

Exactly!

FotR has that wonderful bright, but still ancient sound that suited the adventure vibe of the film. TTT went for a moody ambience, and the RotK went for that louder brass-heavy sound to suit the scale of the picture. All very worthy of their respective films' personalities.

I'm assuming the recording/mixing team is different for these scores? Not sure why they couldn't just try and emulate the LotR setup at least...

As far as I can see, they emulated the orchestra seating, but sadly not the mix. They emulated just about everything in LotR, but not the important things. Like the way Bilbo finds the ring. That still puzzles me to this day, that you would be obsessed about tying the trilogies together, but just say "ah, fuck it" to something like that.

On an unrelated note: just saw the establishing shot of Barad-Dur in TTT again. Then I remembered Dol Guldur .... I could just cry.

Yep, but he did not return for AUJ (but he did record the Choir sessions for the Zelda Twilight Symphony fan project

So did Shore!

I think a new evil has risen there...

Oh so Kurlander is the missing magic piece. Pity.

And the fact that I seriously doubt we'll hear any of this music in concert means we'll probably never hear the LPO take on it either! :(

Maybe it's a fine mix, I don't know, but I sure don't like it.

It probably is not, seeing how its been called out by more then just our little group here.

Who are you thinking of?

Those who worship at the shrine of Final Fantasy.

What really sets this apart from the other Hobbit scores to me are the very close-mic'd (sounds like that to me) string patterns.

It definitely does sound like there are spot mics on the violas and celli. Which is weird since the whole point of the different (read: better) string seating is that it points those inner strings right at the tree, upping their presence. So why would they really need spot mics? Because someone wants the score to sound more "modern"?

So did Shore!

InTheCity and Alexander saw the signs... they tried to warn us!

What really sets this apart from the other Hobbit scores to me are the very close-mic'd (sounds like that to me) string patterns.

Because someone wants the score to sound more "modern"?

Yeah, and maybe to highlight the Dragon Sickness ostinati?

It definitely does sound like there are spot mics on the violas and celli. Which is weird since the whole point of the different (read: better) string seating is that it points those inner strings right at the tree, upping their presence. So why would they really need spot mics? Because someone wants the score to sound more "modern"?

In LotR and AUJ (though less effectively so), the string/woodwind ostinati/patterns were used more as a blended texture in the background, often for that "shimmering" sound, or for more subtle rhythmic propulsion. But with DoS, and far more in BotFA, the way they've been recorded brings it more to the foreground, like the centerpiece to the music, and this is probably due to the close mic setup? And I don't think Shore ever intended it to sound that way.

And the fact that I seriously doubt we'll hear any of this music in concert means we'll probably never hear the LPO take on it either! :(

But I am sure we will hear the Prague..

So did Shore!

It's all really weird, since Kurlander's recording at Watford hall was supposed to mimmick the sound of Wellington Town hall.

Karol

Start a Kickstarter project now!

"Rerecording of the Hobbit scores with Kurlander and the LPO, supervised by Kalaisan Kalaichelvan, son of Sinnadurai. Minimum donation: $1,000"

shore.png

Because someone wants the score to sound more "modern"?

Yeah, and maybe to highlight the Dragon Sickness ostinati?

You could do that for individual cues only.

In my mind, this modern string stuff replaces the powerful string rhythms like in Helm's Deep.

And I definitely think someone wanted a more modern sound.

We would have to re-use Watford Colosseum for that. ;)

Karol

How I would love to get the impulse responses for the place, to make the NZSO sound like they are playing in Watford (or the responses for Welly Town Hall, to up the reverb a bit.)

Karol

How I would love to get the impulse responses for the place, to make the NZSO sound like they are playing in Watford (or the responses for Welly Town Hall, to up the reverb a bit.)

I actually made an... inquiry about capturing some IR's at Watford a few years ago. I think if twenty of us get together, we should be able to handle the bill.

Did anyone se

Karol

I actually made an... inquiry about capturing some IR's at Watford a few years ago.

http://www.classicconcerts.org.uk/wc/archive/colosseum/Colosseum-Acoustical%20Report.pdf

Just realized the score doesn't come out until next week in America.

Whoa, I thought it came out tomorrow! :angry:

Working on verbing this up to where it sounds wetter, but not unnatural (most likely a losing battle ;( )

So here are some tests:

I like the first one. Though I must admit they're a bit hard to differentiate.

Basically wetness = gooooooood, especially when it comes to the chanting.

Just realized the score doesn't come out until next week in America. I got my copy today.

What are you talking about? It will be on my doorstop tomorrow.

Just realized the score doesn't come out until next week in America. I got my copy today.

What are you talking about? It will be on my doorstop tomorrow.

Amazon says the release date for the SE comes out the 15th.

Again, the CD comes out tomorrow. I will have a physical CD on my doorstop tomorrow.

The standard one, of course. WaterTower did delay the SE OST a week.

No idea where you are looking, but if I search for "battle of the five armies" under CDs & Vinyl, all I get is the special edition and the japanese import of the regular edition.

Anyway, is the violin theme at the start of Battle For The Mountain the Arkenstone theme? In the booklet, Doug writes the theme is very prominent in the score, I just didn't really hear it yet outside A Thief In The Night.