Underrated Sequels/Prequels

Temple Raider

Most of the qualms I had with it initially, all very minor, disappeared by the second or third viewing.

I think the biggest issue it faced had nothing to do with the film itself: peoples' expectations.

The funny thing, in my case, is that I didn't love Batman Begins, The Dark Knight or Inception after first viewing. I tend to realise his films tend to take their time before they soak in. Which is ok.

Jason, when I said "made sense", I meant it might be more enjoyable.

I also like that each film in the trilogy lend itself to slightly different genre.

Karol

Hmm, from what I experienced, the whole world loved TDK from the very start. It didn't take time or many viewings at all. It was an instant craze.

Yes, the second film was quite good!

Call me a fanboy or a Nolatie of whatever, but my first viewing of TDK was unforgettable. I don't think Nolan makes particularly challenging movies, intelectually or artistically, but I find them very entertaining and with great technical skill

I was already born and I can testify that TDK was an enormous hype. I got tired of people saying it was the best film ever made and Ledger was the new James Dean or Marlon Brando.

I was already born and I can testify that TDK was an enormous hype. I got tired of people saying it was the best film ever made and Ledger was the new James Dean or Marlon Brando.

Oh yes, it's still unparalleled! Doubt it will ever get eclipsed.

;)

Karol

I don't think Nolan makes particularly challenging movies, intelectually or artistically, but I find them very entertaining and with great technical skill

Finally a voice of reason!

I liked The Dark Knight so much I went out to theater again to see it when it was re-released in IMAX the following January.

But yeah, it was quite intense. Maybe that's why I couldn't get into it right away.

I was 16. I actually liked it at first, but then of course I was just a dumb teenager. Only once I grew up did I realise how despicable and morally bankrupt the film is.

In terms of big-budget Hollywood projects, at this moment, I'd sooner buy a ticket for a Nolan film than from any other director. I know I'll get my money's worth in entertainment value. That doesn't mean I think he's the next Kubrick or anything of the sort. But Nolan should be recognized as a great craftman of very satisfying and intelligent Hollywood blockbusters

In terms of big-budget Hollywood projects, at this moment, I'd sooner buy a ticket for a Nolan film than from any other director. I know I'll get my money's worth in entertainment value. That doesn't mean I think he's the next Kubrick or anything of the sort. But Nolan should be recognized as a great craftman of very satisfying and intelligent Hollywood blockbusters

I just kind of miss his smaller cinema at this point.

Karol

I think Nolanites will be disappointed but Spielbergians (if there are still any left) will embrace the film.

I'd consider myself to be both and neither. Does one have to categorize everything?

I think Nolanites will be disappointed but Spielbergians (if there are still any left) will embrace the film.

I'd consider myself to be both and neither. Does one have to categorize everything?

Let's just say I'm curious to see how devoted Nolan fans will respond to an ostensibly more sentimental and family-oriented flick.

Despicable? Morally bankrupt? What, on earth, are you talking about?

The film's entire worldview. Chaos and nihilism win the day.

Yes which makes the more subtle victory of Batman all the more rousing.

I don't think Gremlins 2 is underrated, I think it's pretty universally loved

The original is shite. The sequel is class.

:blink:

You really feel that way?

Actually, Jay, I do.

I must be the only person that I know who didn't fall under the spell of Gizmo, et al. I hated "Gremlins" when I first saw it, and I barely tolerate it now. No idea why; I just couldn't see the point...

"Gremlins 2", however, is pure loony greatness from begining to end.

Ugh some how my post got eaten. Anyways I said there are parts of The Dark Knight Rises that I liked but over all it definitely was a major let down compared to the first two.

Agreed.

I don't think Gremlins 2 is underrated, I think it's pretty universally loved

The original is shite. The sequel is class.

:blink:

You really feel that way?

I feel that way too.

Also, Die Hard with a Vengeance. Can't get enough of Kamen's take on "Johnny Comes Marching Home."

I'll go ahead and be rather controversial with another choice: The Blues Brothers 2000. Does it live up to the first one (one of my all-time favorite films)? No. Does it still have plenty of laughs and good music? Absolutely.

Try to watch them as a trilogy, one after the other. I can promise it'll make more sense. :)

Karol

My first viewing of it was at its midnight "premiere" to conclude the trilogy marathon...I think it made it a lot worse...

In comparison to its predecessors, it was hard to watch.

On its own, its not a terrible film, but a terribly flawed one.