Age-old Carbon-Freezing Chamber debate

It certainly looks like a lit walkway to me.

If it isn't, how would you explain the dark triangle beneath the light source, and the perspective of the rails?

I think it was meant to be a walkway, or at least some sort of attempted illusion to create that sense of depth.

This painting suggest that I'm right:

ralphmcquarrie-1.jpg

Karol

I have thought it in the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all my life seemed shrinking, and the walls of my bower closing in about me, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in. And I just don't know! I just don't know!

The classic Energizer Bunny commercial portrays a similar walkway straight out of the Freezing Chamber. Just look at the shape of the walls and the floor--dead ringer. I think it's supposed to be a walkway.

A poorly executed illusion of a hinting to a walkway behind Vader (but still an awesome shot nonetheless).

Exactly. Looks like a really bad attempt at forced-perspective—so ill-played that I've never noticed it before.

Which begs the question (in my mind, anyway) . . . this is what passes for an "age-old" debate?

Which begs the question (in my mind, anyway) . . . this is what passes for an "age-old" debate?

Still better than "What's the best trilogy: SW or LOTR?"!

Wow. Tough question, now that you put it out there. Maybe we oughta start a thread on that. . . .

Still better than "What's the best trilogy: SW or LOTR?"!

Star Treks II, III and IV.