Brian Tyler & Danny Elfman - The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Jay

I guess the Marvel.com announcement was incomplete; Whoever runs the "elfmanburton" FSM account posted a corrected tracklist to the FSM thread

Wasn't that account name created to communicate info for the development of the Elfman-Burton box? I think that's Richard Kraft, but I could be mistaken.

This is Richard Kraft's FSM account:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/userposts.cfm?user=kraftland

--------

Fascinating. The *s in the track listing didn't indicate Silvestri themes; They indicate cues not used in the film.

Source: http://marvel.com/news/movies/24446/marvels_avengers_age_of_ultron_original_soundtrack_available_digitally_april_28

Funny how they are both Elfman cues!

"Danny, it's expected now to have loads of unused music written for blockbusters, so could you come in and write some for us? We just have too much useful material!"

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. Both Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World were actually much better.

But Danny Elfman sort of saved the day. He wrote a theme that is sort of in the language of Marvel sound. By that, I mean it honours Brian Tyler and his trademark chord progressions (a la Iron Man theme). And it makes a bridge between that masculine stuff and Alan Silvestri's music. But he takes those into even more heroic heights. I've never bever heard Elfman write this sort of stuff before, it's so ridiculously heroic and his more substantial orchestral arrangements (as compared to Tyler's) make for a more breezier take on established Marvel stuff. So, he doesn't really abandon Brian Tyler's sound, just "old-fashions" it a bit, if that makes sense. It almost sounds like it could belong to a swashbuckling pirate movie sometimes. It's not the greatest tune ever but really infectious in its enthusiasm. And first four-five notes of Silvestri's theme are intertwined with it (they are sometimes stated in counterpoint to each other).

Kaorl

By "old-fashions" it, do you mean makes it sound less like Tyler's tried, cliche 90s/00s power anthems? In which case, there might be hope for this yet!

I mean that it is based around Tyler-y chords (and Silvestri's) but it's arranged in a more symphonic way. So more heroic trumpets, Elfman's string ostinatos and stuff like that. He adds a more carefree whimsical quality to all that masculine Marvel sound. I actually quite like it.

Karol

It's sounding more and more to me that Elfman would (and should) have completely replaced Tyler's effort had there been enough time to do so.

It's sounding more and more to me that Elfman would (and should) have completely replaced Tyler's effort had there been enough time to do so.

They had time! Horner wrote scores Aliens, Krull and Troy in less time then Elfman was given for his contribution to The Avengers

Maybe Elfman didn't want to do a whole score. After all, Goldsmith said he would never do it again after AF1.

And we don't know the nature of the problems with Tyler's score - maybe it wasn't serious enough to warrant a complete replacement.

A ton of his scores have leaked, yea.

However, nothing from the last 5 years or so really have, apart from the ones that ended up "leaking" thanks to FYC sites (TMNT) and Soundcloud (Now You See Me). Oh, actually Iron Man 3 did leak, but Thor 2 still hasn't.

Not my words. Tyler said it'll be an homage to Williams. Not sure what he meant by it but those last few seconds are basically Star Wars. So more of a copy and paste than an homage.

That doesn't have the "feel" of a Williams action cue, apart from maybe the Ludlow's Demise riff showing up again... But yea at the end he rips off the first 5 notes of The Force Theme, eh?

That's an incidental coincidence. Probably just put that interval in there to make that moment sound heroic.

Maybe Tyler thinks real orchestra + woodwind runs = homage to John Williams

I think he was suggesting the way it will be written is an homage to Williams. He was probably asked by a clueless journalist about 'what it will sound like' and he replied with that, suggesting motifs, thematically written etc, instead of brahmsssss and some techno drum hits.

You can just start listening from the beginning. Literally the first question asked is about working with Elfman