Let's Shut TGP Up Once and For All: Interstellar or The Da Vinci Code?

BLUMENKOHL

Interstellar vs. The Da Vinci Code  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better score?

• Interstellar
    • The Da Vinci Code

The bloviating Interstellar? Or the divine Da Vinci Code?

There is no comparison. The Da Vinci Code.

And a strong sample of similar-length and feel pieces from each...

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7QNuBW8TKU

Or...eh...this...:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not listened to either score outside the film, and I've only seen Da Vinci Code. Neither, I feel, is worth my time.

You need to be beaten severely. I'll write you a prescription.

I've not listened to either score outside the film, and I've only seen Da Vinci Code. Neither, I feel, is worth my time.

Doctor TGP.

No. I don't.

No. You won't.

I specialize in kickin' butt!

No. I don't.

No. You won't.

You and a certain other member have taken this already tiresome grumpy, disinterested persona too far!

No. I don't.

No. You won't.

You and a certain other member have taken this already tiresome grumpy, disinterested persona too far!

The other person being Quintus, right? We're all thinking it. ;)

No. I don't.

No. You won't.

The other person being Quintus, right? We're all thinking it. ;)

Out of the mouths of Blumes.

I like these two as companion scores. These cues compliment each other nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDhQaMltYj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og7NOo1Y2Fk

Sorry Blume, never listened to the Da Vinci Code score once in my life. Saw the film in theaters, don't remember a thing about the score.

Interesting comparison. Interstellar has better production values, but there is more substance to the Da Vinci Code. It also helps that the latter is actually what got me into film music in the first place, so it'll always hold a special place in my heart.

Sorry Blume, never listened to the Da Vinci Code score once in my life. Saw the film in theaters, don't remember a thing about the score.

You really should fix that. From what I remember in the film, the score wasn't treated too well in context. But this work is one of Zimmer's most intelligent and beautiful stuff.

Seriously?? Fix that, now.

I don't think Interstellar pairs well with The Da Vinci Code. The unofficial trilogy of The Da Vinci Code, The Ring, and Hannibal though, are a sublime pairing.

You're all fools!!

I don't think Interstellar pairs well with The Da Vinci Code. The unofficial trilogy of The Da Vinci Code, The Ring, and Hannibal though, are a sublime pairing.

Yup, largely because there's a lot of crossover in the musical material, especially between DVC and Hannibal.

I can't believe there are people that haven't listened to The Da Vinci Code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIHy5vdseDg

You're all fools!!

Yup, largely because there's a lot of crossover in music, especially between DVC and Hannibal.

Yeah there's this little awesome tune that's in each one.

I can't believe there are people that haven't listened to The Da Vinci Code.

Oh boy. This is going to be stuck in my head for the next couple of days...

I just wanted to chime in and say I can't vote yet as I have listened to Interstellan only once and do not know it well enough. Still Da Vinci Code is among my few favourite Zimmer scores.

Well at least you've heard and appreciate the Da Vinci Code. That's all that matters. You are forgiven my Finnish friend.

I forever edited around inferior sources to get these long 'classical' pieces from HANNIBAL - well, as classical as Zimmer and gang possibly could get - without narration and/or crappy mp3 coding. Still haven't got an acceptable result but yeah: DVC and HANNIBAL are wonderfully morose clerical pieces. Tapping into a more european sound heritage is always a plus for Zimmer.

Tough choice. Both are absolutely brilliant. But ultimately, I would have to go with DA VINCI. Not only because it's been ingrained among my favourites for a longer period of time, but also because it taps into my beloved 'religious sound' -- which INTERSTELLAR doesn't. Still, INTERSTELLAR came in on my second place of scores last year (and I listened to several hundreds), so it might supersede DA VINCI in a couple of years, once it's more "ingrained". It's also the far superior film, although DA VINCI CODE isn't as bad as people make it out be. In any case, we'll see.

I really only like Crimson Tide, The Rock, Drop Zone, The Peacemaker, and Broken Arrow.

But Interstellar is growing on me.

I should probably listen to The Lion King one of these days....

The tracks 9-13 (you can include 14 but that's Richard Harvwy) of the album are a suite, not film cues. Good place to start, I would say. Can't go wrong, it's one of Hans' finest hours (especially Poisoned Chalice)

Karol