A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - 2015 3CD set from La-La Land Records

Jay

In think in the case of Journey Through The Ice, it wasn't a case where one version was written, then Spielberg asked for a change and another version was written later as a Revision. I think both versions were written at the same time - one a more melodic take, one a more atmospheric take. I should have asked Mike!

In think in the case of Journey Through The Ice, it wasn't a case where one version was written, then Spielberg asked for a change and another version was written later as a Revision. I think both versions were written at the same time - one a more melodic take, one a more atmospheric take. I should have asked Mike!

still, the labelling suggests that we have a large cue split in 2 parts.

Which isn't the case here.

Yea. Well what can you do. Maybe the titles were Mr. Williams' own suggestions.

Wasn't that also the case with The Trainman Cometh from The Matrix Revolutions?

Karol

Skateboard Chase from BTTF was like that too I think.

Reading the interview again, the part about Blue Fairy.

So, it is suggested that original version of the cue doesn't use the "A.I. theme" at all?

That should be interesting!

or wait, I think I didn't understand correctly.

It does use it but in another key?

On 6/3/2015 at 12:23 PM, Faleel said:

How should we know?

All the times made sense based on what we knew from the Academy promo, but one track is much longer than its promo counterpart!

On 6/3/2015 at 12:24 PM, filmmusic said:

So, it is suggested that original version of the cue doesn't use the "A.I. theme" at all?

Disc 3, Track 9 would be "7M1+2 Finding The Blue Fairy", Williams' original take on the scene, featuring a higher key ending than we've ever heard before. This entire track is completely unreleased + unused in the film.

Disc 2, Track 3 would be "7M1+2 Finding The Blue Fairy (Vocal Version)", Williams revised take of the scene. This is what's used in the film, except they dialed out the vocals in spots. We've only had the first 2 1/2 minutes of this on CD before, since Williams segued to the Blue Fairy Theme Concert Arrangement ("A.I. Theme") on the OST.

Disc 3, Track 10 would be just the ending of "7M1+2 Finding The Blue Fairy (Vocal Version)", with Barbara Bonney's vocals dialed out.

Hope that makes sense.

All versions use the Blue Fairy Theme, of course!

Disc 3, Track 9 would be "7M1+2 Finding The Blue Fairy", Williams' original take on the scene, featuring a higher key ending than we've ever heard before. This entire track is completely unreleased + unused in the film.

All versions use the Blue Fairy Theme, of course!

Yes, i meant that cue, the alternate.

well, he said:

The “alternate” is a completely different early version of the cue

so, i thought maybe it's indeed different music without the A.I. theme.

Jason.

Thank you for the Q&A with MM. Some very interesting stuff there. Especially encouraging to know that JW and Spielberg signed off on a 3 CD juggernaut release in chronic order.

This seems to signify a change in mentality compared to the Laurent Bouzerau releases of the 90's and 00's.

It makes me hopeful we will get more stellar MM produced releases of major John Williams/Spielberg scores in the near future.

Disc 3, Track 10 would be just the ending of "7M1+2 Finding The Blue Fairy (Vocal Version)", with Barbara Bonney's vocals dialed out.

Hmm, as i understood the interview, i think that is a rescored ending, that does not contain vocals. I mean, some intrument is going to take the main melody on its own because of the absence of the vocals...

Personally, i think i'll miss the omission of the joseph williams cues. Because that should be what 3rd disc is for. Maybe if it was not williams son i would care...

Also the re-recorded song by williams is a shame not to have.

But otherwise the presentation in disc 1 and 2 sounds perfect.

Hmm, as i understood the interview, i think that is a rescored ending, that does not contain vocals. I mean, some intrument is going to take the main melody on its own because of the absence of the vocals...

Oh hey - reading again, I think you're right!

The latter part of the cue was also recorded with no vocal, and that is the “orchestral excerpt” track on disc 3

So yea, that's probably "7M2 Insert" or something.

We'll see!

I wonder what the new version of Moon Rising and Biker Hounds will sound now that they removed Joseph Williams' contribution in the middle.

Basically the same as the 2CD Promo version without the middle part :)

Also, as I understood it, this cue has the middle joseph williams part in complete form in between the two williams' cues, not tackled on the end.

13 days to go!

+ 10 days for me to get the actual disc on my hands.

I think I should also order now the A.I. Bluray to compliment the soundtrack release!

I have held it off for too long!

Yep! Terrific Q&A!!!

Should have ended with "What's your next project?", though...

Edit: okay, I confess. Should have ended with "Has Intrada contacted you about Jaws?"... :)

On 6/3/2015 at 1:31 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Also, as I understood it, this cue has the middle joseph williams part in complete form in between the two williams' cues, not tackled on the end.

OST Track 7 "The Moon Rising" contains

[0:00-0:53] (0:53) 4M7 The Biker Hounds [Microedited]

[0:53-1:40] (0:47) The Biker Hounds (Extension) [Microedited]

[0:40-end] (2:46) 4M5 The Moon Rising [Microedited]

Oscar Disc 1 track 10 "The Moon Rising" contains

[0:00-3:23] (3:23) 4M5 The Moon Rising

[3:23-4:10] (0:47) The Biker Hounds (Extension) [Microedited]

[4:10-end] (1:43) 4M7 The Biker Hounds

LLL Disc 1 track 17 "The Moon Rising / The Biker Hounds" contains

[0:00-?:??] 4M5 The Moon Rising

[?:??-end] 4M7 The Biker Hounds

LLL Disc 3 track 6 "The Biker Hounds (Extension") contains

[all] (2:38) The Biker Hounds (Extension)

Make sense?

La-La Land has been on a nice run the last few years with Empire of the Sun, Rosewood and Hook, and now A.I.

Can't wait to see what they dish out next year!

I did ask him something along those lines, don't you worry! He did not reveal anything, of course - nor should he. An article about LLL's AI is really not an appropriate place to hype a different project.

I think I should also order now the A.I. Bluray to compliment the soundtrack release!

We just watched the AI Blu ray the other weekend. It looks very nice!

We enjoyed it!

Fantastic set design and special effects.

Only one scene ruined by Spielberg's insistence on filming some outdoor scenes on a set instead of a location (the scene where Monica leaves David in the woods). Looked right out of Hook.

I remember early trailer music that used the Blue Fairy theme in a low key fashion (no vocals I think). What might that be?

can anyone find that trailer?

I've watched it about three times on big screen back in 2001. And several times since then. Must have been about 2-3 years since the last time.

Karol

Must be from the full film version of Finding The Blue Fairy. If I had known about it, I would have asked Mike!

What are the chances they'll press more copies when this one is sold out? How has it been with other releases in the past?

What are the chances they'll press more copies when this one is sold out? How has it been with other releases in the past?

Traditionally, once a limited release sold out, it was never reprinted by the original label; You're best bet was another label picking up the license.

It's become a trend only recently for a label to re-issue something themselves.

Long story short, there is absolutely no way to predict it.

I did ask him something along those lines, don't you worry! He did not reveal anything, of course - nor should he. An article about LLL's AI is really not an appropriate place to hype a different project.

Sure, I understand. He can't say he's working with Intrada and Doug Fake on the new "Jaws" release... (dream on, dream on).

One of my favorite CDs in my entire collection is Intrada's 2CD set of ALIEN, which was produced by Mike Matessino. If Intrada and Mike Matessino collaborated again on Jaws, that would be a freaking amazing release!

Yes, I can't imagine a better presentation of Alien. But I think it was before LLL took over most (or all) of the 20th Century Fox soundtrack releases, wasn't it? A "clash" of giants, in the best sense of the word.

I dunno where you got that idea from.

20th Century Fox is the easiest studio out of all the studios to work with in terms of catalog score releases. All the various specialty labels have, and continue to, release titles from the Fox archives.

I do wonder if Minority Report will be the next Spielberg/Williams collaboration at LLL since its Fox. There are no more left at WB.

That's why I said "I think". ;)

Also, it's because I haven't seen a 20th Century Fox release from Intrada in a while. Mostly Universal titles...

Anyway, with or without him, I'm sure our certain and soon re-release of Jaws is in good hands with Intrada. Would be perfect with him on board, though...

Yes, Doug and Roger put out good CDs over there.

I do hope they would contact Matessino for it, though. Someday he might get to have a hand in every single Williams re-issue ever!

Hopefully someday he'll get to do his version of Hook :)

Remaining Spielberg/Williams collaborations that haven't been expanded properly by a specialty label:

4 @ Dreamworks [Paramount] (Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal)

2 @ Disney (War Horse, Lincoln)

1 @ Fox (Minority Report)

4 @ Lucasfilm [Disney] (Raiders, Temple, Crusade, Skull)

2 @ Paramount (War of the Worlds, Tintin)

1 @ Sony (CE3K)

7 @ Universal (Sugarland Express, Jaws, ET, Always, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Lost World, Munich)

Remaining Spielberg/Williams collaborations that haven't been expanded properly by a specialty label:

4 @ Dreamworks [Paramount] (Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal)

1 @ Sony (CE3K)

7 @ Universal (Sugarland Express, Jaws, ET, Always, Jurassic Park, Lost World, Munich)

You forgot Schindlers List

1 @ Sony (CE3K)

7 @ Universal (Sugarland Express, Jaws, ET, Always, Jurassic Park, Lost World, Munich)

You forgot Schindlers List

He probably has the leaked recording sessions... :lol: