Johnnyopoly!

Uni

All right....time for a tension-breaker....:mrgreen:

While in a game store the other day I spent a few minutes perusing the wall full of theme-based Monopoly games--y’know, they’ve got one for Disney, Star Trek, the NHL (why the heck aren’t the Avs in the Boardwalk spot?!), and so on. In the middle of it all was one I hadn’t seen before: Make-Your-Own-opoly. With computer and color printer, you can actually create your own customized version of Monopoly.

Naturally, it took me all of twenty seconds to decide what I’d do with it.

I’ve worked it up over the last couple of weeks, and now it’s time to share it with the people I know will appreciate it most. (I’m putting the finishing touches on my own board, although the colors are different and the quality’s pretty chintzy....however, I’m giving serious thought to sending it to the Maestro himself.)

So here it is, complete with modified rules, space changes, and new cards:

Johnnyopoly

All the rules and dollar amounts are basically the same as standard Monopoly, except instead of trading real estate, players are buying, selling, and trading the copyrights to original Williams scores. Each “property” represents the rights to a single score. Rather than paying rent, when another player lands on a space you own, they are purchasing the rights to a single performance or a re-recording of that score. Instead of Houses and Hotels, we have Recording Studios and Concert Halls (respectively). While you can’t “mortgage” the rights to a score, you can put them up as collateral for a small loan from the bank (equal to the normal property’s mortgage value). Instead of Railroads, we have Venues (places or symphonies where John commonly works his magic), which are similarly “rented out” for performances to players who land on said spaces. And in place of the two Utilities, there are two “Alternate Works” spaces--Concert Works (Electric Company) and Commissioned Works (Water Works). The Tax spaces are replaced with Expenses--Royalties (Income Tax) and Concert Tickets (Luxury Tax).

Naturally, all my favorite scores make an appearance, along with a few honorable mentions to round off the list. I’ve arranged the scores around the board based on two factors: 1) My own opinion of their worth (the better scores usually--though not always--occupy the higher value spaces), and 2) giving each “group” a common theme. Therefore, though I don’t consider the Harry Potter scores to be of less worth than any of the others on the board, it made sense that since there are only two of them, they should go in the natural two-property group at the beginning (sorry; I like them, but they’ll never be Boardwalk material). Keep in mind that the last space in a group is worth more than the others. The ordering came pretty naturally for me, and there’s even a sly in-joke or two hidden in there for those quick on their feet....:mrgreen:

So then, here’s how my board worked out (in order, from “GO”), by colors and my own theme for each group (again, “property” and “mortgage” rates remain the same, and note that I’m using the original Monopoly colors and groups, not the pasty Make-Your-Own-opoly colors):

Purple (“Diagon Alley”):

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Light Blue (“Olympic Spirit”):

Olympic Fanfare and Theme

Call of the Champions

Summon the Heroes

Maroon (“Historical Works”)

JFK

Born on the 4th of July

Empire of the Sun

Orange (“The Early 90’s”)

Far and Away

Jurassic Park

Schindler’s List

Red (“Indiana’s Avenue”)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Yellow (“Masterpiece Theater”)

Jaws

Hook

Superman

Green (“The Original Trilogy”)

Star Wars

Return of the Jedi

The Empire Strikes Back

Dark Blue (“Alien Encounters”)

E.T.

Close Encounters

Venues (Railroads):

Skywalker Symphony

Tanglewood

Boston Pops

London Symphony

Alternative Works (Utilites):

Concert Works (Electric Company)

Commissioned Works (Water Works)

Expenses (Taxes):

Royalties (Income Tax)

Concert Tickets (Luxury Tax)

And, of course:

Free Parking = “Long Rest”

The two stacks of cards are renamed as well--Leitmotif (for “Chance”) and Concert Suites (for “Community Chest”)--each respective space on the board remaining the same. I kept the dollar amounts on the cards pretty much the same, changing only the events portrayed on them. (A few--such as the “Advance to Go” cards--didn’t change at all.) They are as follows:

Concert Suites (yellow):

- “Advance to Go”

- “Get Out of Jail Free”

- “You are caught stalking John Williams - Go to Jail (Do not pass Go, etc.)”

[Originally this one read, “You are caught naked in John Williams’s bedroom,” but I thought that might be taking it a bit far....]

- “You are assessed for street repairs: $40 per Recording Studio, $115 per Concert Hall”

- “Tanglewood Night - Collect $50 from each player for tickets ($75 from each player if you own the Tanglewood Venue)”

- “Sell Collector’s Edition CD - Receive $45”

- “Win Second Place in Amateur Composing Contest - Collect $10”

- “Score Collection Matures - Collect $100”

- “Xmas Gift Certificates (for new CDs) - Receive $100”

- “Sell Autographed Copy of Williams CD - Collect $200”

- “You are Hired to do a Radio Show on Williams - Collect $100”

- “Conduct Love Theme at Wedding - Collect $25 for services”

- “Sell Williams’s Old Baton - Collect $20”

- “Take Itzahk and Yo-Yo to Lunch - Pay $150”

- “Tympani Player Out Sick - Pay $100 for lost recording time”

- “Bad Deal on EBay - Pay $50”

Leitmotif (orange):

- “Advance to Go”

- “Get Out of Jail Free”

- “Go Back 3 Spaces”

- “Caught Selling Illegal Bootlegs - Go to Jail (Do not pass Go, etc.)”

- “Phone Home - Advance to E.T.”

- “Beat the Nazis to the Prize - Advance to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade”

- “Check out the Grassy Knoll - Advance to JFK”

- “Conduct the next Star Wars Compilation Album - Advance to Skywalker Symphony”

- “Advance token to nearest Venue and pay owner Twice the performance fee to which he/she is normally entitled. If Venue is Unowned, you may buy it from the bank.”

- “Advance token to nearest Alternative Works space. If Unowned, you may buy it from the bank. If Owned, throw dice and pay owner a total of ten times the amount thrown.”

- “Make General Repairs on all your Property - For each Recording Studio pay $25; for each Concert Hall pay $100”

- “Buy used CD - Pay $15”

- “You have been elected next ‘Stickman’ at Academy Awards - Pay each player $50”

- “Find Johnny’s Five Missing Oscars - Collect $150 Reward”

- “Sell CDR Collection - Collect $50”

The M-Y-O-opoly comes with a set of cruddy, plain pawns. It’d be great for this if we could make a set of metal character pieces, like E.T., Indy on his horse, the Mother Ship from CE3K, the Golden Snitch, a Raptor, the Great White, etc.....

And one last, essential change: Take the Monopoly man, add a beard under that moustache, replace his tux with a turtleneck and his cane with a baton....and we’re ready to go!

Anyone wanna play...?

- Uni

(P.S. I’m working on a way to run a game through the chat room; if I can get it figured out, we’ll have a special “Johnnyopoly” night for the first five or six to show up.)

(P.P.S. If you were to make your own board, based on how you'd value or group his scores, what would yours look like...?)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol... I actually have that (Make-Your-Own-opoly) and have yet to decide what to make for it. (I'm thinking something to do with Penn State, but I haven't quite figured it out; maybe something to do with the hall I live in.) Anyway, I like your orderings, and though I don't like to see Harry Potter be in the Purples, I don't know if I'd move them and break up another group. Perhaps put them with Witches of Eastwick and call it "Bewitched" or something, and make it Maroon or Orange and then push two of the Maroon ones into Purple.

I'd make the Utilities be orchestras -- the BSO/BPO and LSO -- and the Utilities be, um... something else. Directors perhaps? Spielberg for B&O, Lucas for Reading, and I don't know for the other two. (Those choices are not arbitrary; B&O is the most landed-on RR, followed by Reading, then PA, and finally Short Line. Short Line was a bus company BTW, not a railroad. Anyway, a bit of trivia.)

That's awesome, Uni. I love your creativity - I would greatly enjoy doing that as well. Having a Johnny-opoly game for board members would be great. I hope it materializes!

Ray Barnsbury

That would be hilarious! I can imagine, if it was possible to make a physical version of it, and you had most of the people here playing it in teams grouped according to their fanatical preferences, the game would last for hours, and hours, and hours.

And hours.

I think the grouping of the scores is perfect too.

That's great!!!!  

Very creative and extremely entertaining.  

Well said, couldn´t agree more, congratulations Uni :mrgreen: !

Find Johnny´s Five Missing Oscars - Collect $150 Reward

That´s my favorite line :mrgreen: !

Fantastic idea, Uni. I would be your first player.

Get this going, and I'd love to play "Johnnyopoly" next time I'm up in Denver! There would be nothing better than owning "Indiana's Avenue," "The Original Trilogy" and "Alien Encounters."

Jeff -- who loves his "Star Wars" Monopoly computer game

I actually would like to see a soundtrack game like Battleship.

You could call it "Plageurism"

Instead of sea coordinates you use musical notes and the objective is to copy as many notes from your opponents composition as possible.

Then at the end of the game you yell out "YOU STOLE MY FILM SCORE!".

It would be very popular in today's film music climate! :)

i love it Uni,

i would buy it in a heart beat!

And I like your idea about the pieces.

But I'll go with what someone else said: if you use orchestral instruments you actually may have some luck finding ones "monopoly" size.

if i can help in any way to make an internet version of Johnnyolpoly let me know!

:| Maybe you could find some programmers in here willing to turn it into a real computer game because it's something I'd like to play. :) And I love Rogue_Leaders idea. LOL

Anyway, I like your orderings, and though I don't like to see Harry Potter be in the Purples, I don't know if I'd move them and break up another group. Perhaps put them with Witches of Eastwick and call it "Bewitched" or something, and make it Maroon or Orange and then push two of the Maroon ones into Purple.

Not a bad idea, but since I'm one of those outcasts who's not all that familiar with Witches, and since it was my board....well, y'know. I do agree, though, that Harry's better than Purple; it just seemed the best two-parter to put in that position. (Maybe it's an honor, though to be the first spaces out of the starting block....at least we could say so, couldn't we? :()

I'd make the Utilities be orchestras -- the BSO/BPO and LSO -- and the Utilities be, um... something else. Directors perhaps? Spielberg for B&O, Lucas for Reading, and I don't know for the other two. (Those choices are not arbitrary; B&O is the most landed-on RR, followed by Reading, then PA, and finally Short Line. Short Line was a bus company BTW, not a railroad. Anyway, a bit of trivia.)

Actually, you're onto something there....the same thing I was onto for a while, in fact. There were actually three versions I toyed with before settling on the final draft. One alternate version had (as you suggested) the Utilities serving as the two most popular orchestras--LSO and BPO--and the Railroads (I assume that's what you meant with your second "Utilities") representing the four most prolific Williams directors: Oliver Stone, Chris Columbus, George Lucas, and Steven Spielberg (in order from Go). I rejected that setup, though, because it didn't seem to fit in with the overall theme. I mean, if you owned the fourth Director space, what exactly does that mean? That you own Spielberg himself? (Not likely.) That you own the rights to all his scores? If that's the case, then half the spaces on the board would be superfluous. No, I figured it best to let each score represent itself. (Maybe I should've done something more with the directors in the cards....hmmm....)

The other alternate version had the four Railroads representing the four Original Score Oscars he's won. However, that meant dropping those four scores out of their places, and replacing them with others....and that totally blew the group themes I'd set up. (And it also would've undermined those hidden in-jokes I mentioned....anybody spotted those yet? ;)) It didn't seem worth it, so I bagged that idea.

I gave all three a lot of thought, and in the end this version seemed to serve the best while keeping continuity with the theme and goal of the game.

The players pieces could be orchestral instruments.

That's a great idea! The films are already represented anyway, and by having the players as instruments it's kinda like their contributing their own "music," right? Cool.

- Marc, who thinks the name "Johnnyopoly" kicks ass! :|

It seemed the best choice. "Williamsopoly" is about as graceful as a crippled elephant, and there weren't many others to go with.

Get this going, and I'd love to play "Johnnyopoly" next time I'm up in Denver! There would be nothing better than owning "Indiana's Avenue," "The Original Trilogy" and "Alien Encounters."

That'd be great, Jeff. (We need to connect sometime anyway!)

Hmmm... maybe you could start taking orders :-p

I'm beginning to think so myself....I may have to contact Williams's people for permission (and might Parker Brothers consider doing an official version...? :))

Great idea yourself there, Rogue Leader. That's a great bit--and just as appropriate and accurate as Johnnyopoly. :)

I'm still thinking on the chat version. Does anyone know if the PC version of Monopoly can be played online...?

- Uni

The other alternate version had the four Railroads representing the four Original Score Oscars he's won. However' date=' that meant dropping those four scores out of their places, and replacing them with others....and that totally blew the group themes I'd set up. (And it also would've undermined those hidden in-jokes I mentioned....anybody spotted those yet? :|) [/quote']

The only joke I saw was putting "Hook" in the Masterpieces section. What were the others?

Get this going' date=' and I'd love to play "Johnnyopoly" next time I'm up in Denver! There would be nothing better than owning "Indiana's Avenue," "The Original Trilogy" and "Alien Encounters." [/quote']

That'd be great, Jeff. (We need to connect sometime anyway!)

Check your private messages.

Not a bad idea, but since I'm one of those outcasts who's not all that familiar with Witches, and since it was my board....well, y'know.  I do agree, though, that Harry's better than Purple; it just seemed the best two-parter to put in that position.  (Maybe it's an honor, though to be the first spaces out of the starting block....at least we could say so, couldn't we? :))

I suspected that's why you put Potter in the purples... I see what you mean though about Witches being pretty unknown. I still think I'd do that though.

(I assume that's what you meant with your second "Utilities")

Uh, yeah. I can think. Promise.

I'm still thinking on the chat version.  Does anyone know if the PC version of Monopoly can be played online...?

I have a version that I think can be. I never did it, and don't know if it still can, but it was advertised as such. But that becomes really just a normal Monopoly game... It is possible that I could write a web-based program that would do it. Shall I give it a whirl? [And that would remove the possibility that anyone would "modify" their die roll or accuse someone else of that. :-p Not that I distrust any of you or anything, I think it would just be better if we could be guranteed of anti-cheating stuff.]

lol,great post Uni,instant classic.Long time we didn't have one like that,I enjoyed reading it very much.

Concert Suites:

Buy "Space Camp" on e-bay,pay 200$".

K.M.

I think I am gonna start selling my property on Harry Potter avenue since JW won't be continuing with that series much longer say the rumors.

The only joke I saw was putting "Hook" in the Masterpieces section. What were the others?

Oooo....bite thy tongue' date=' Jeff. And watch your step. ;):|

I'll wait a little longer before revealing the others....just in case someone still wants to jump in with a guess.

Concert Suites:

Buy "Space Camp" on e-bay' date='pay 200$". [/quote']

Heh....good one, KM...! LOL :) LOL

- Uni

Shall I still try to make a web-based version? I can, thouhg I'll be gone for a bit more than a week, so it would be a while before it was up. But maybe we could have periodic games on it or something.

Kudos, Uni, for your incredible imagination!

I'd be interested to know how many hours it took to put everything together.

For anyone else interested in undertaking a similar project here is an address to order the blank game on-line:

http://www.tdcgames.com/MYO.htm

Someone needs to make up a drawing of Johnny in a Tuxedo with one of those black "chimey" hats, a cane and a cigar.

Only then would this game be complete. :|

Someone needs to make up a drawing of Johnny in a Tuxedo with one of those black "chimey" hats, a cane and a cigar.  

Only then would this game be complete.  ROTFLMAO

No, no....like I said in the original post, it's the other way around. Someone needs to take the Monopoly man, give him a beard, a black turtleneck, and a baton. That's how we make him ours!

- Uni

All right....since no one's even gonna try to track down the in-jokes, I might as well let them out:

The most obvious: I.J. and the Temple of Doom rests on Indiana Avenue (where else would I have put this group?).

Slightly less obvious, but no less appropriate: Born on the 4th of July sits on States Avenue--as in United.

Finally, my favorite: Jaws is swimming in Atlantic Avenue.

For what it's worth. :)

- Uni

if anyone needs me to make anything, let me know.

How about the board, some cards, fake money and some cast iron pieces. ;)

Justin -Who doesn't think that would to hard. :P:)

• 4 years later...

Went over to a friend's house for a barbecue the other day, and I brought their kids a few games to play. They'd somehow gotten as far as middle school without having played a single game of Monopoly, and so that was the one we selected. As I was playing (and losing miserably to the young whippersnappers), my thoughts drifted to Uni's proposal -- without a doubt one of the classic posts on this board. It's too bad nothing ever became of this...

What about "Maestropoly: The Game of John Williams"

You can customise an official monopoly board at www.mymonopoly.com

I'd also recommend making these changes:

Purple ("The McAllister Residence"):

Home Alone

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Light Blue ("The Battlefield"):

JFK

Born on the 4th of July

Empire of the Sun

Maroon ("Hogwart's Castle"):

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Alternative Works (Utilites):

Concert Works (Electric Company)

Olympic Fanfares (Water Works)

Or alternatively, if you wanted to fit more scores in, you could make the Greens "Trilogy [or Sequel] Avenue" and have Harry Potter, Indiana Jones and Star Wars all there.

I love it! The "Indiana's Avenue" is my favorite - I don't remember much of anything else on the Monopoly board, but I did remember that Indiana was red and thought it was very clever.

I was also wondering why POA didn't get to be mentioned.... makes sense now since it wasn't out in 2003!

AND - I agree with putting Hook in "Masterpiece Theatre," thank you very much. :) I love Hook! Well, maybe Geisha is more appropriate there now, I guess.....

I'd put Nixon in the "historical works" - it seems a natural with JFK and Born on the Fourth.

I really like this one: “You are caught stalking John Williams - Go to Jail (Do not pass Go, etc.)” :)