Do you like Patrick Doyle's works?

Josh500

He's always been one of the composers I really appreciate, although there are aspects to his music that I don't care for so much (especially when he does suspense and employs those 'chord-stop effects' (in lack of a better word), where he crescendoes a chord, then halts, then starts over again. Can be quite grating eventually (FRANKENSTEIN is a prime example). But when he delves into those gorgeous bittersweet melodies, I'm completely sold.

There have been some 'misses' in the last 10 years, but also a gem or two that proves he still 'has it'.

I was fortunate enough to sit down with Doyle for a long interview in Helsinki last year, and I must say he's one of the coolest and easiest interview objects I've ever had.

No man who can write stuff like this should be taken lightly!

That and the track that precedes it (development of the same idea) are sublime music. Crewe and the Soldier is also quite stunning. My favorite Doyle score

This thread has nicely reminded me to revisit and further explore Doyle's output. Some truly wonderful music here I had not heard before.

Huh? I can't help it if I didn't find it all that interesting. I gave it a try and found it quite pretty, that's as far as it went. I've tried a few of the links posted in an effort to discover some interesting new music to listen to, but I haven't had much success I'm afraid. The Henry V cue I enjoyed the most, but that was mainly because I'm into its medieval battle brass.

Doyle may not batting for greatest composer ever lived, but his lively musicality is very sympathetic, methinks. Though he was on a lot of mediocre assignments lately.

• 7 years later...

One score that is constantly ignored by everyone (including Doyle himself, judging by his concerts, two of which I have been to) is Indochine - just amazing bombastic, melodramatic stuff that captures his idiosyncratic abilities so well. The dynamic action stuff, the overtly dramatic melodies, just wonderful

Carlito's Way as captured the Brussels Philharmonic encapsulates the greatness of Doyle - his is VERY passionate, intricate music on a massive scale and not very easy (but also not impossible to perform by a world class orchestra)