The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

My take on the whole Kylo Ren thing, and this may have been previously discussed before but I have been contemplating it while listening to the score earlier today, is there was still hope for Kylo to turn back to the light side like Anakin did until he killed his own father. Anakin was able to be redeemed because he couldn't bring himself to kill his own son neither could he sit back and watch the Emperor do it. I think Kylo completely passed the point of no return when he killed his own father. So Leia telling Han that there was still good in him was true up until the moment he killed Han. There's no coming back from that. That's my take. Whether or not that supports or completely discards anything in the EU.....I don't think they care. Just my opinion. 

I was thinking, maybe we got it all wrong with Finn and Poe!

Remeber the scene early in TFA where a Stormtrooper gets shot, Finn tries to help him up, but the guy dies, which causes great distress for Finn?

Poe shot that Stormtrooper! Maybe he was a close friend of Finn? Someone he knew since as long as he could remember!

"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Plagueis is dead!

No. No. Nooooooooo.

When Siduous killed him in his sleep, Plageuis already transfered his identity somewhere else.

He was a lot wiser And powerfull than Palpatine.

Don't forget that the experiments of Plagueis created, Even If it was involuntary, Anakin.

The entire story Palpatine tells Anakin could be entirely made up by him as a way to influence him.  You can't assume everything he described is canon fact.

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

The entire story Palpatine tells Anakin could be entirely made up by him as a way to influence him.  You can't assume everything he described is canon fact.

Darth Plagueis existed and he was killed by his apprentice Darth Sidious. You can see Palpatine reliving the experience as he tells the story to Anakin.

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Darth Plagueis existed and he was killed by his apprentice Darth Sidious. You can see Palpatine reliving the experience as he tells the story to Anakin.

People read into that too much.

I've always read that scene as the one part where Sidious tells the truth. He basically puts all his cards on the table for Anakin to see, save for flat-out saying "oh, by the way, I know this story because I'm in it."

Well ofcourse. He wasnt gonna expose himself at the Sith Lord just yet! That happened a bit later (and still in a weird way...)

Speaking of the Sith. Why are they always just two? Does not sound very beneficial if you are trying to gain power and destroy the Jedi?

It's already been debunked as a theory and it's blatantly obvious to anyone who has been taking notice of meta surrounding this new trilogy that Disney doesn't give two fucks about any of the canon or lore outside of the original trilogy. 

9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Do they, though? Palpatine didn't have a wife or hookers. And we never saw Maul having sex. Or Dooku.

Yeah but Palpatine was really camp.

Maul was on a mission and didn't have enough screentime for any hanky panky.

Dooku was old. And no need to show him with some other geriatric broad.

I've been thinking about one thing the "I am your father" twist had going for it: everybody thought the issue was settled. We knew who Luke's father was and that he was killed. There was no room for speculation. That made the twist all the more surprising, because know one knew a twist was coming.

With Rey, since the issue was left hanging, speculation is rampant, and it's likely someone, somewhere, will guess it correctly. It's much more fun witnessing a twist when you don't know a twist is coming

Just now, Romão said:

I've been thinking about one thing the "I am your father" twist had going for it: everybody thought the issue was settled. We knew who Luke's father was and that he was killed.

Wrong. Apparently there was quite a lot of speculation between TESB and ROTJ about it. There were many who believed Vader was lying..And the matter wasnt settled till Yoda confined it.

Didn't an early draft of ROTJ actually feature Anakin Skywalker coming to aid his song? He was the "There is another" not Leia.

The main difference is that they didnt have internet forums and social media back then, so there was no all-access world wide debate about it.

I don't mean between ESB and ROTJ. I mean between ANH and ESB. The "I am your father" revelation came out of nowhere. The matter I was reffering to as settled is that Luke's father was Anakin and that he was killed by Darth Vader

Ah yes. But even if they had stated any info about Rey's parents, there would still be a massive debate about it.

"If her parents were just simple farmers who sold her to Unkor Plutt, why does she look like Padme? And why is she even Force sensitive???"

39 minutes ago, Romão said:

It's much more fun witnessing a twist when you don't know a twist is coming

Yup.  You nailed it.