The Lord Of The Rings General Discussion Thread

Faleel

Who wrote that? Shore? Pope? Plan 9?

Why write anything when you can just sample other people's work and put dialogue snippets and some beats behind it. Making music is just that easy! I am sure the hours of putting that together were well spent.

I don't think they were trying to make it into a serious musical piece... it's just a bit of fun.

Yeah I know. I am just having a bad morning and am grumpy as Gandalf without his morning tobacco.

I don't think they were trying to make it into a serious musical piece... it's just a bit of fun.

As is the case here. We weren't actually criticizing the "music". Just having a bit of fun teasing it.

It's JWFan, you're not supposed to take anything here seriously.

A wizard is never lolific! Or perhaps only when he means to!

That was some strong acid right there.

Interesting. Doesn't really fit with the rest of the animation style.

It says Bakshi began to animate the sequence but it was dropped from the final cut, which I take to mean that it is a preliminary version of the scene, not what it would have looked if it had indeed incorporated into the film.

You forget. The sword is Glamdring! Wrought by the Noldor for Turgon. Elven king of the Noldor, second son of Fingolfin, brother to Fingon, Aredhel and Argon, and ruler of the hidden city of Gondolin.

The same reason he has white robes in Fangorn when he claimed to lay naked in the snow after Eru returned him to Middle-Earth.

Rich

Wrong!

The Lord of the Eagles found Gandalf ontop of the mountain and brought him to Lothlorien, to be taken under the care of the Lady Galadriel. This is why the new staff Galdalf the White bears has a distinct Lothlorien appearance to it.

Yes Steef, but the Khazadum sequence in Bakshi's film literally shows Glamdring fall apart in his battle with the....Balrog (if you can call it that).

Cool, the sword has a name. So it put itself back together?

My "reason" was that it happens offscreen. I couldn't care less what happens offscreen. It's not like the books are worth reading.

Rich

You think the Foehammer, wrought at the hight of the power of the Elves in Middle earth could not survive, and reconstitute itself?

The skill of the Firstborn and the light of the Valar was in its very essence!

It's not like the books are worth reading.

Rich

I think you are a dickhead for saying this!

I didn't know the sword was so great that it just reformed in times of dire need...

Yes Steef, but the Khazadum sequence in Bakshi's film literally shows Glamdring fall apart in his battle with the....Balrog (if you can call it that).

It's not a Balrog. It's a winged lion!

There's a lion in there? Hard to see with the way the rotoscoped it...

It says Bakshi began to animate the sequence but it was dropped from the final cut, which I take to mean that it is a preliminary version of the scene, not what it would have looked if it had indeed incorporated into the film.

But the film Gandalf is rotoscoped, and this clearly isn't. If it really was developed from original material created for and then cut for the film before it was finished, shouldn't it either be rotoscoped or just plain real life footage of stand ins?

But the film Gandalf is rotoscoped, and this clearly isn't. If it really was developed from original material created for and then cut for the film before it was finished, shouldn't it either be rotoscoped or just plain real life footage of stand ins?

Perhaps this is some kind of Bakshi pre-visualization material. It looks really rough compared to the rest of the film.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Viggo just went up in my estimations. But I hope he hasn't burned bridges with it. Unless he's not bothered if he does. I like that in a person.

Mr. Mortensen's assesments are very sharp. I would say it is sort of a George Lucas/Ridley Scott syndrome that Peter Jackson is suffering with The Hobbit.

Good stuff. Clearly an actor with great integrity.

And he brings up great points, but its still kind of sad to hear he didn't like the TTT and ROTK very much. Perhaps the Hobbit films are reflecting negatively on the original trilogy?

Good stuff. Clearly an actor with great integrity.

And he brings up great points, but its still kind of sad to hear he didn't like the TTT and ROTK very much. Perhaps the Hobbit films are reflecting negatively on the original trilogy?

I think that's taking Hobbit dislike to extremes. I imagine Viggo had honest problems with TTT and ROTK, which I don't fully understand. These were always going to be bigger in scale given the battle scenes, and thus require more CGI. Plus the thing about the secondary characters makes no sense.