Attack of the Clones : Ultimate Edition?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will probably be a release within the next few years.

Ted, who hopes all of the scores are released in their entirity when the original trilogy comes to DVD

Well I doubt very much that Sony would say a WORD about it until they officially announced it. Their denial of any plans in an email reply to some fan is about as reliable as asking Lucas if there was gonna be any new footage on the Phantom Menace DVD. Of course the answer was no. Anyway, if the pattern follows, and I'd bet that the TPM UE sold well enough that it will, July or August will see the announcement and it will be released in October.

Lucas is a moron.

Juts give us expanded/complete/chronological editions (As the composer intended), and we'll all buy it (except Morn, who will rip it) and be happy. LOL

-Chris, Who believes that OST is good for the initial film release but when the DVD hits, you need expanded soundtracks to go along with it.

Why not make specially priced, limited edition DVDs WITH complete soundtracks included? I'd buy those. But alas, we have morons in charge of these things...

But alas, we have morons in charge of these things...

Talking about people like that will not make them want to release the things that you want.

Neil

My money won't make them change their minds either because I buy everything they release. I am probably one of the few that actually have a pressed copy of all their silly cover and gimmick variations, so they SHOULD listen to me.

And I don't expect calling them names will change their minds. But I like to call it as I see it.

I never had to call the producers of the Varese deluxe editions, the Rhino Superman and/or the RCA original Star Wars soundtracks morons. Rather the polar opposite. :D

There are still about 50 minutes of unreleased music from AOTC, plus the almost mythical alternate music for the Clone parade at the end, so I I really do hope they relased it in a forseeable future.

Their denial of any plans in an email reply to some fan is about as reliable as asking Lucas if there was gonna be any new footage on the Phantom Menace DVD.  

I think their denial has some value. If they had any plans of releasing it anytime soon, I doubt very much that they'd say they had no plans whatsoever.

Anyway, if the pattern follows, and I'd bet that the TPM UE sold well enough that it will, July or August will see the announcement and it will be released in October.

I'm afraid in this particular case the pattern won't work.

As for the DVDs, I still don't see why Lucas can't pull an "E.T." and release both the original and updated versions.

I'd rather have that then a second disc filled with hours of extras that I will watch only once... IF EVEN that.

And about these updated "special editions"... why haven't I seen the Luke & friends & Biggs on Tatooine yet??? Fans have waited decades to see those scenes! Make Han shoot 1st again, update Jabba to look more like Jabba, and show us all the deleted scenes that have gained legendary status!

For Empire, I want to see that Wampa incident on the Hoth Rebel base, and the follow up, Stormtroopers getting their butts kicked by them! I'd rather see that then a few extra seconds of a Wampa eating a tauntaun.

And Jedi? What about that Vader/Luke telecommunication near the beginning? We even have the music for that scene! Let's see it!

If you make Special Editions.... make them SPECIAL. Make them WORTHJ wanting. AND give us the originals TOO! That's what I'm talking about! :thumbup:

-Chris, Who likes originals AND updated versions... but wants BOTH on DVD dammit!

Will there be another "Ultimate Edition"?

I have one thing to say to that:

GOD LETS HOPE NOT!

-Rogue Leader who believes the "Ultimate Edition" was an insult to JW's TPM score. Even if it was produced by JW himself.

Well, Rogue... even the ULTIMATE EDITION provided us with alot of great unreleased music and did so in spectacular crisp & clear sound quality.

The negative was that it was edited/produced very poorly and it was a wasted opportunity to give us the complete, unaltered score as "Williams composed it", including alternates and unused material.

I'd rather have "The UE Episode 2" then what we have now... which is nothing other than the very short and re-arranged OST.

For the record, I elected not to buy TPM: UE on the grounds that no one seemed to care for it, and I wasn't crazy about the score in the firts place.

However, I would probably get an AOTC: UE for the cue when Yoda moves the duct. I would definetly get it if it had the alternate ATS end cue.

Fans have waited decades to see those scenes!

Which perhaps were cut for good reasons. :D So make them one of those extras.

For the record, I elected not to buy TPM: UE on the grounds that no one seemed to care for it, and I wasn't crazy about the score in the firts place.

However, I would probably get an AOTC: UE for the cue when Yoda moves the duct.  I would definetly get it if it had the alternate ATS end cue.

You'd get a AOTC UE but not the TPM UE one?

TPM was a WAY better score than AOTC IMO.

Way more original themes and WAY better themes.

Will there be another "Ultimate Edition"?

I have one thing to say to that:

GOD LETS HOPE NOT!

We can only hope that Sony will come to its senses and re-release the Prequel Trilogy scores when the DVDs come out, in an undefiled edition where Williams' vision prevails over Lucas'. After all, we want to buy John Williams' music, not George Lucas' wretched vision of how the music should be.

If Sony disregards this option and makes a UE of Attack of the Clones, consequences will be disastrous. A lot of the fans who were fooled into buying Phantom Menace UE will refrain from buying this release, and Sony will make complete editions more and more scarce.

I only wish it wasn't so inevitable.

Star Wars is business, big business. That also goes for the music. We learned from the past that every single note from Star Wars, good or bad, has been released. Why would AOTC be any different?

I never listen to the regular release of TPM. To me the ultimate edition sounds better then anything I have heard before. It is a hifi-showcase. Therefore I will only buy an ultimate edition of AOTC and it WILL come. You can count on it.

Chris, have you seen the scenes with biggs or not? (i think you mean that they should be included in the movie) Well if you havent seen them, just try to get your hands on 'Behind the Magic, the insider's guide to star wars' which has them.

i'm sure you already knew, but it doesnt hurt, just in case...

The problem with the TPM UE was the crappy editing job, but that only became apparent in the latter portion of the album.

I am confident that the complete original scores will eventually be released... twenty years from now, when the new trilogy is being outfitted for "Special Edition" release in 3-D and Smell-O-Surround.

"On Attack of the Clones we experimented with the music, we actually included previously composed music from The Phantom Menace, and it fit seamlessly into the movie." - George Lucas  

Dude... is that a real quote? LOL

-Chris, Stuck in an ice storm and using a generator=powered computer... :sigh:

Why does everyone HATE Lucas so much, I know he edits some of the music but thats to try and make his movies better...so i'm just curious...why all the hatred toward George?

OH... I get it. The April Fool's joke on the front page. I didn't see it until after I read the quote. :-P...

-Chris Who knew that quote was too outrageous to be true... LOL

PS- How can an Ultimate Edition of AOTC be made? The editing in the film job is absolutely horrendous. They would HAVE to release a more "Special Edition" type release because the editing in AOTC makes the editing in TPM look award-winning.

I like Lucas, but you have to admit that some of his recent decisions (the treatment of the Star Wars soundtracks, slamming the door on original versions of the SW trilogy on DVD, still waiting for Indy DVDs and scores, his poorly edited prequels and worse edited music editing in them) have been puzzling, and bordering on brain-dead.

OH... I get it. The April Fool's joke on the front page. I didn't see it until after I read the quote. ...  

-Chris Who knew that quote was too outrageous to be true...  

PS- How can an Ultimate Edition of AOTC be made? The editing in the film job is absolutely horrendous. They would HAVE to release a more "Special Edition" type release because the editing in AOTC makes the editing in TPM look award-winning.

I like Lucas, but you have to admit that some of his recent decisions (the treatment of the Star Wars soundtracks, slamming the door on original versions of the SW trilogy on DVD, still waiting for Indy DVDs and scores, his poorly edited prequels and worse edited music editing in them) have been puzzling, and bordering on brain-dead.

-Chris, Who is stealing the "Guest" quotes and is taking credit for them, and for some reason can't stay logged-in while he is freezing in the ice-storm known as my humble abode with a generator-powered computer! :sigh:

We learned from the past that every single note from Star Wars, good or bad, has been released.

That's not true. We're still missing essential material from TPM. The TPM UE was a fraud.

I will only buy an ultimate edition of AOTC

An AOTC UE would include many unlistenable portions.

Why does everyone HATE Lucas so much, I know he edits some of the music but thats to try and make his movies better...so i'm just curious...why all the hatred toward George?

Why does everyone LOVE Lucas so much, I know he created the Star Wars Trilogy, but the Prequels are a complete joke and an insult to John Williams and Film Music...so i'm just curious...why all the love toward George?

Is there going to be an Attack of the Clones Ultimate Edition release?

Why would anyone want an expanded release of that?

Melange - Who thinks the AOTC score (and film) is a load of uninspiring rubbish :P

Melange - Now an expanded release of Temple of Doom. That's a different matter :sigh:

I really dont see an AOTC-UE coming out any time soon, for all the reasons mentioned before, and also for the fact that there really isnt -that much- there to generate enough hype. I mean, how many important cues are we missing?

1) the Spanish-flavored Naboo welcome

2) the abortive 1st kiss (w/ harpsichord)

3) the eeire quasi-Emperor's Theme trumpet solo

4) Anakin goes nuts (ok, this is legitmately an important cue for the overall arch of the Star Wars saga, though I dont agree with most people who say that Williams blended Imperial March w/ Emperor's theme seemlessly... what happened to "Anakin's theme," honestly...)

5) Shmi's funeral, which is brutally, almost hysterically cut short by Lucas' horrible sense of timing.

6) The final battle, which is interesting for its incorporation of Yoda's theme turned agressive, and the reccuring motif (when Anakin's hand is chopped off) which bears a -slight- resemblance to the music precisely when Luke's hand goes flying.

What else?? I can only think of little snippets which honestly aren't that impressive and certainly wouldnt make for much of a compelling listen. I am a Williams completist, but I can't help but feeling that his score to AOTC, while good, is less, er..., voluminous than his other four.

I'm not desperate for an UE. They would find some way to travesty it.

well, everyone wants their favorite things in their entirity. I for one want to hear what Williams wrote as the main title to the prequels. Lucas opted for the originals, but Williams did write an alternate version. Now that is something I would love to hear.

Lucas opted for the originals, but Williams did write an alternate version.

Really?. I never knew that. It would of been better to have something more low key i think. The way the titles began in that brooding way in ST6 Undiscovered Country comes to mind. It hinted at developing menace. I suppose the fanfare used in TPM was out of place really when i think about it now. Because it was'nt really Star "Wars" yet. It was the political beginnings of how the wars came about. So using the big fanfare for the prequels did seem a bit premature. But i suppose business is business, and the Star Wars theme puts bums on seats i guess. Thats the movies.

I for one want to hear what Williams wrote as the main title to the prequels.  Lucas opted for the originals, but Williams did write an alternate version.

This has never been officially confirmed. Here's the only source we have about it (a report from Countingdown.com I re-posted on the site in February 1999):

"I have 'ties' to a performer in a certain orchestra that was brought in Monday, January 4th to start recording the score for the film. Williams stated that he was going to be VERY experimental in carrying out the recording of score (according to my 'tie' - meaning trying different themes for characters.) Two versions of the  "Main Title" were written, first the classic one used in the other three films, and a different, almost darker version. This was because Williams felt that the original theme was more Luke's theme than anything else. But, Lucas wanted the original, so Williams scored both to show Lucas. Also, the following old scores remain intact: the brief and almost unnoticible "Droids Theme" (can be heard in Empire and Jedi), "Yoda's Theme", "The Emperor's Theme" (now something like "Palpatine's Theme" its the same chorus-like sound, but a bit lighter. "The Light of the Force" theme (you know "Binary Sunset" from A New Hope).

According to my 'tie', the Imperial March can be briefly heard..New themes include themes for: Amidala (Very Leia-ish), Qui-Gonn (Very triumphant), Obi-Wan ( much like the latter) and Darth Maul and Lord Sidious share a dark, theme, much like Danny Elfman's theme for "The Penguin" in Batman Returns. Recording should wrap up by the end of February."

All the subsequent rumors about the alternate main title originated from that source.

Richard, when i asked why all the hatred towards Lucas, i meant on this site only...because i agree, he is a so adored in the world, but on this site there is a lot of hate.

Richard, when i asked why all the hatred towards Lucas, i meant on this site only...because i agree, he is a so adored in the world, but on this site there is a lot of hate.

Actually (in the world) there's a lot of people who hate him, many others love him and most of them don't care about him. And this site is full of SW fans who love him, some that disagree with his decisions regarding the SEs and the Prequels, and just a few that hate him. But those who love him (like yourself) tend to pay attention mainly to the negative comments, because they find them unfair.

Personally I don't hate Lucas, I just don't respect him as 'filmmaker', because of all the stupid decisions he's made and his repeated insults to John Williams and Film Music.

Just my opinion ;)

He could make his movies better if he delayed the release and let JW score the final product. He has both disrespected Williams and Star Wars, time to whack him.

well, everyone wants their favorite things in their entirity. I for one want to hear what Williams wrote as the main title to the prequels. Lucas opted for the originals, but Williams did write an alternate version. Now that is something I would love to hear.

I believe there was a version made, only as piano version, of Quo Gons theme.

Personally I don't hate Lucas, I just don't respect him as 'filmmaker', because of all the stupid decisions he's made and his repeated insults to John Williams and Film Music.

Just my opinion :(

And I agree 100 %.

Stefancos- who was dissapointed by TPM and AOTC, but will not be dissapointed by Ep III. ;)

What was wrong with AOTC?  

Where to start.

actually the website isn't big enough to list all the reasons.

Here is just one, Ewen McGregor and Natalie Portman, are limited actors who were unable to rise above the material. Don't give me that bull about not having anything to work with, neither did Patrick Stewart in Nemesis, but he rose above that dreck, these actors could have atleast tried.

Actually (in the world) there's a lot of people who hate him, many others love him and most of them don't care about him. And this site is full of SW fans who love him, some that disagree with his decisions regarding the SEs and the Prequels, and just a few that hate him. But those who love him (like yourself) tend to pay attention mainly to the negative comments, because they find them unfair.

Just my opinion ;)

Agreed verbatim. :(

This thread is still about AOTC. I think it's still on topic.

Now talking about complete editions, when will we ever get the complete album to Saturday Night Fever? I really want "Disco Duck".

Neil

Richard said "those who love him (like yourself)"

I don't LOVE lucas but i certainly don't HATE him. When i was young, i loved the Star Wars films, Lucas was one of the first directors i remember liking. And maybe because star wars was a classic or because i was young, i didn't know of much critism against him, but now i see many people are beginning to dislike him. I personally lost a lot of liking towards him because of AOTC, which i think is an all time low in Star Wars films. AOTC just felt so hollow, I couldn't have any realistic feelings towards any characters, ships or locations in that movie.

What has Lucas done? what are those stupid decisions you are talking about? (sorry, i havn't been here too long :( )